A muffin with no sugar, no butter and no gluten, sounds too healthy to be good, right?
Wrong! I substituted natures own sweeteners, dates and honey for sugar, then switched out the butter for super flavorful Enzo Meyer Lemon Olive Oil. For the gluten free flour I used Premium Gold’s blend of heart healthy whole grain and flax seed flours.
The funny thing is, this whole “healthy muffin” originated from me being a total hippie and wanting to use the carrot pulp from my Carrot Orange Strawberry juice I made the morning before!
Yes, I’ve been juicing every morning instead of drinking coffee! No coffee? What? I know, I didn’t think it was possible to live without coffee in the morning (especially the first 2 days after going cold turkey on caffeine!) But, fast forward 10 days and I’m going strong!
I’ve given myself a 30 day challenge to replace coffee with juicing. Look for a post in a couple of weeks with the results of my challenge, and in the meantime follow me on Instagram: Whitney Bond or Twitter: @Whitney_Bond to see what I’m juicing up this week!
Now back to those muffins!
Begin by combining the carrots and dates in a small bowl. Next add the olive oil and honey.
Next add the eggs and mix everything together well.
In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg, then add the carrot date mixture to the dry ingredients.
Mix together well.
Spoon the muffin batter into 9 baking cups lined inside a muffin pan.
Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes.
They’re like little bursts of sunshine deliciousness!
There’s so much flavor in every bite, from the tangy Meyer lemon, to the sweet dates, to the spicy cinnamon and a little carrot crunch!
♣ Vegetarian Option: This recipe is vegetarian.
♦ Gluten Free Option: This recipe is gluten-free.
Gluten Free Carrot Date Muffins
- 1 cup carrots (shredded or carrot pulp left after juicing)
- 1 cup dates (pitted and chopped)
- 1/4 cup Enzo Meyer Lemon Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Premium Gold Gluten Free Flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Begin by combining the carrots and dates in a small bowl.
- Next add the olive oil and honey.
- Next add the eggs and mix everything together well.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg, then add the carrot date mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Mix together well.
- Spoon the muffin batter into 9 baking cups lined inside a muffin pan.
- Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes.