The sun is shining, the coats are put away and the grill is lit, because it’s almost summer and that means grilling season is here!
Spinach artichoke dip is given a healthy twist in this recipe for spinach artichoke hummus, served with shamrock shaped green peppers for dipping, perfect for St. Patrick’s Day!
I love holidays. Christmas, 4th of July, St Patty’s Day, Superbowl Sunday (it’s a real holiday for foodie football fans!), Thanksgiving, Easter, etc, etc. I love them most of all because they usually revolve around food.
My one problem with a lot of these holidays is that most of the cute, festive foods are catered around baking desserts. While I love some sweets here and there, I wanted to create a fun, new recipe for St Patty’s Day that was still delicious and festive, but on the healthier side.
Spinach artichoke dip, delicious yes, make it into lunch, yes please! I used the spinach artichoke dip recipe I served at my Pumpkin Carving Party last October with some alterations, including substituting kale for spinach and a creamy, hearty pasta dish was born!
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 8 oz penne pasta
- 3 tbsp olive oil (divided)
- 4 oz kale
- 1/4 cup water
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 14 oz can artichoke hearts
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup parmesan and romano cheese
Get your burners going by boiling water for the pasta on one burner. On another burner add the kale, 1 tbsp olive oil and 1/4 cup water in a large skillet with lid. On the third burner start making the sauce by adding the cream cheese to a medium saucepan to melt.
Next add the greek yogurt, salt and garlic to the melted cream cheese.
Next add the additional 2 tbsp olive oil, white wine vinegar and lemon juice, then drain and chop the artichoke hearts.
Add the artichoke hearts to the pasta sauce.
Stir to combine then add the cooked kale.
Drain the pasta and place into a large bowl. Mix the sauce well then add-on top of the pasta.
Now toss and serve topped with the red pepper flakes and parmesan and romano cheeses!
♣ Vegetarian Option: This recipe is vegetarian.
♦ Gluten Free Option: Substitute gluten-free pasta.
What could be more fun than carving pumpkins, drinking pumpkin beer and eating pumpkin chili?? Add Pumpkin Rice Krispie Treats, Pumpkin Bread and Spinach Artichoke Dip and there is pretty much nothing more fun in the world! This is how you throw the Perfect Pumpkin Carving Party!
Things you will need:
- Orange plastic tablecloth (to cover your pumpkin carving table)
- Halloween Paper Plates/Napkins/Bowls (for all your Delicious Pumpkin Themed Food!)
- Carving utensils/stencils (enough for all of your guests to carve their perfect little pumpkins)
- Tealights (to light up the inside of your perfect pumpkins)
- 2 Large bowls (one for the pumpkin guts and one for the pumpkin seeds)
- Pumpkin Chili
- Traditional Chili
- Pumpkin Bread
- Pumpkin Rice Krispie Treats
- Spinach Artichoke Dip and Chips
For the pumpkin chili, click on the link for the recipe! I also made traditional chili in case someone didn’t like pumpkin (not sure why, because I shun anyone who does not like pumpkin, bahaha) but it’s easy to throw it together in a crock pot, so I did!
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 can chili beans
- 1 can Rotel (diced tomatoes with green chilies) (14.5 oz)
- 1 package chili seasoning
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
- 1 can tomato sauce (8 oz)
While your chili’s are simmering in their respective crock-pot’s, get your Pumpkin Bread ready to bake!
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp allspice
- 2 large eggs (whisked)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 can pumpkin puree (15 oz)
- 6 cups of Rice Krispies
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 package mini marshmallows
- orange food coloring
- green gum drops
- 4 oz frozen spinach
- 1 can artichoke hearts (14.5 oz)
- 8 oz package cream cheese
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese