Italian seasoned ground turkey and mushrooms fill these delicious eggplant roll ups, baked in a flavorful tomato sauce. This recipe is gluten free, dairy free and Whole30 compliant!
Although I love all of my recipes, this might just be my favorite Whole30 recipe so far (shhh don’t tell the others!)
What can I say, I’m a sucker for Italian food. Even when I was a picky eater growing up, I always loved my Italian food! I know, the blasphemy that a food blogger used to be a picky eater!
Usually pasta and cheese are at the top of my Italian menu but I was determined to make an equally amazing Italian dish without the pasta and cheese that was Whole30 compliant.
While this dish does take a little more prep time than most of my others, it’s so worth it for the amazing end result!
The rich, flavorful tomato sauce is amazing and the eggplant roll ups have the perfect balance of textures and flavors. I filled mine with ground turkey and mushrooms, but if you’re looking to make this recipe vegetarian or vegan, you could simply double up on the mushrooms and leave out the turkey for a meatless meal.
To take this dish straight from the stove to the oven without dirtying another dish, you’ll want to use an oven-safe skillet or dutch oven. ← This link will take you to the one I use in this recipe via my Amazon Affiliate page.
You could also prep the roll ups and sauce ahead of time, then bake them together when it’s dinner time. You might even want to double up the recipe, because I promise this is a dish you’re going to want to eat more than once!
For more gluten free, dairy free and Whole30 recipes, check out these five favorites!
- Balsamic Salmon Zoodle Bowls
- Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers
- Tomato Basil Chicken Skewers
- Lemon Herb Salmon
- Italian Flank Steak with Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
Be the first to know when scrumptious new recipes are posted!
Sign up for delicious e-mail deliveries below!
Whole30 Eggplant Roll Ups
- 3 large eggplants (sliced lengthwise into 8 slices each = total 24 slices)
- 1 tsp salt (divided)
- 2 tbsp olive oil (divided)
- ½ cup onion (diced)
- 1 cup baby bella mushrooms (sliced)
- 6 cloves garlic (minced) - divided
- 1 lb ground turkey
- ½ cup sun dried tomatoes
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley (chopped) - divided
- 2 tsp dried oregano - divided
- 2 tbsp fresh basil (chopped) - divided
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Lightly salt the eggplant slices and allow to rest for 10-15 minutes to remove excess moisture.
- After 15 minutes wipe the eggplant with paper towels.
- To cook the eggplant, you can either grill the slices for 2-3 minutes per side on an oiled grill over medium heat, or spread the eggplant slices out on oiled baking sheets and roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- After the eggplant is cooked, set it aside to cool.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions & mushrooms, saute 3-4 minutes, then add 3 cloves minced garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the ground turkey and cook through.
- Add the sun dried tomatoes, 1 tbsp parsley, 1 tsp oregano and 1 tbsp basil to the ground turkey. Reduce heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- While the turkey is simmering, add the remaining tablespoon olive oil to an oven-safe large skillet or dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add the remaining 3 cloves minced garlic and saute for 30-60 seconds.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce and remaining ½ tsp salt, 1 tbsp parsley, 1 tsp oregano and 1 tbsp basil.
- Bring to a simmer.
- While the sauce is simmering, turn the heat off of the ground turkey mixture.
- Spoon this mixture into the eggplant slices, roll up and place in the tomato sauce.
- Once all of the eggplant roll ups are in the sauce, place the skillet in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove and top with fresh chopped basil.
Don’t forget to pin this recipe for Whole30 Eggplant Roll Ups!
More From WhitneyBond.com