Heart Shaped Pizza
This post may contain affiliate links.
This heart shaped pizza is made with a homemade deep dish crust. It’s filled with sweet Italian sausage, roasted red peppers, three cheeses & homemade sauce. Perfect for Valentine’s Day, anniversaries, birthdays or anytime you want to make an extra special pizza!
When it comes to Valentine’s Day, if I’m going to make something heart-shaped, it’s going to be pizza. Because let’s be honest, pizza is the key to my heart!
Seriously, if this pizza doesn’t say love, what does?!
Whether you prefer thin crust or deep dish, whether you’re single or taken, this heart-shaped pizza will give your heart and tummy something to smile about this Valentine’s Day!
Table of contents
Ingredients you’ll need
- Pizza dough – click the link for my homemade recipe, or purchase pre-made pizza dough at the grocery store. It can usually be found near the deli section at the grocery store.
- Marinara sauce – click the link for my homemade recipe, or choose your favorite store-bought sauce.
- Sweet Italian sausage
- Roasted red peppers
- Ricotta cheese
- Fresh mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan cheese
Step by step instructions
Cook the Italian sausage. Remove the casing from two links of Sweet Italian Turkey Sausage, crumble and cook the sausage on the stovetop over medium heat for 7-9 minutes. Once the sausage is cooked through, drain any excess grease.
Shape the dough. Press the pizza dough into a 10″ heart shaped pan, which you can find at this link on Amazon for $10 or basically any store that carries Valentine’s Day supplies like grocery stores or big box retailers.
Load the toppings. Add the sausage and peppers to the crust.
Layer on the cheese. Divide the ricotta and mozzarella across the pizza.
Finish with the sauce. Top with the parmesan cheese, then the sauce.
Bake the pizza. Place the heart shaped pan on a rimmed baking sheet (just in case any sauce bubbles over) and place into a preheated 425°F oven to bake for 30-35 minutes.
Frequently asked questions
- How do you make a heart shaped pizza without a special pan? If you don’t have a heart shaped pan or prefer a thin crust heart-shaped pizza, follow these instructions. Roll out the pizza dough, divide it in half and roll out one square and one circle, cut the circle in half, place the square at an angle and place one half circle on each of the top sides of the square. Pinch the dough together, roll flat, then add the toppings.
- Do you have to cook meat before putting it on pizza? Yes, you should at the very least par-cook the meat. Pizzas usually don’t bake long enough to fully cook the meat all the way through.
- Should you cook pizza dough before adding toppings? Some recipes call for this, but it is not necessary for this recipe. The only time you need to bake the crust first is if you want an incredibly crispy thin crust.
- Can you add different toppings to the pizza? Sure thing! Feel free to substitute in approximately 1 cup of your favorite pizza toppings, instead of the sausage and roasted red peppers.
What to serve with it
This homemade pizza will taste so good along with any of these appetizers or side dishes.
- Chicken Caesar Salad
- Classic Panzanella Salad with Basil & Artichokes
- Cheesy Garlic Bread Nachos
- Easy Roasted Garlic Parmesan Broccolini
- Quinoa Caprese Salad
And for Valentine’s Day dessert, don’t miss these Red Velvet Brookies, or this heart shaped Dessert Pizza!
More homemade pizza recipes
Keep pizza night interesting by trying a new flavor every week!
- Easy Breakfast Pizza
- Thai Peanut Chicken Naan Pizza
- Hawaiian Pizza with Sriracha Pizza Sauce
- Italian Sub Pizza
- Jalapeño Sausage Pizza with 3 Cheese Jalapeño Ranch Sauce
- Pancetta Pear Pizza
Heart Shaped Pizza
- 16 ounces pizza dough, click link for homemade recipe
- 2 cups marinara sauce, click link for homemade recipe
- ½ pound sweet Italian sausage
- ¼ cup roasted red peppers, diced
- ¼ cup ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Remove the sausage from the casing, crumble and cook on the stove top over medium heat for 7-9 minutes.
- Once the sausage is cooked through, drain any grease from the sausage.
- Press the dough into a 10 inch heart shaped pan.
- Add the sausage and peppers to the crust.
- Divide the ricotta and mozzarella across the pizza.
- Top with the parmesan cheese, then the sauce.
- Place the heart shaped pan on a rimmed baking sheet and place into the oven to bake for 30-35 minutes.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
9 Comments on “Heart Shaped Pizza”
Looks delicious! My husband is from Chicago and having lived there for many years there is nothing like Chicago deep dish to the true pizza fans! Enjoy your trip, you’ll have to see if you more of a Loumalnatis or Giordano’s fan?!
Thanks Elizabeth! I can’t wait to try them both & report back on my fav 🙂
Pinned because 1) pizza is the only heart shaped thing this single girl will eat too! 2) it looks almost too pretty to eat 3) duh its pizza
Enjoy your trip to Phoenix!
Katie, you’re the best because of 1, 2 and 3 😉 Thanks so much!!