Nutella Muddy Buddies
This post may contain affiliate links.
Nutella Muddy Buddies are the perfect gluten free sweet treat! They’re made with only 6 ingredients in just 10 minutes, making this recipe so easy to toss together anytime for a party or snack!
Now the real question is, did you call them muddy buddies or puppy chow as a kid?
I called them muddy buddies, but no matter what you called them, I know I’m not the only one who was totally obsessed with this delicious sweet snack as a kid! It was always a favorite at holiday parties, birthday parties and just a delicious dessert to have around the house!
As an adult I’ve become totally obsessed with Nutella recipes. Let’s take a look at a few of my favorites.
- Nutella Rice Krispie Treats – talk about another classic childhood treat, made even better with Nutella!
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Cups with Nutella – it’s a cookie cup, filled with Nutella, what could be better?
- Nutella Cheesecake Bites – oh hello little bites of goodness!
- Nutella Brookies – it’s a brownie and a cookie IN ONE… with Nutella, come on now!!
I love the delicious hazelnut spread, so of course I had to add it to this classic recipe for muddy buddies!
Table of contents
How do you make it
To make this recipe, simply melt the chocolate and butter together, then mix in the Nutella and vanilla extract. Pour it over rice chex cereal, then toss with powdered sugar.
How do you melt Nutella?
You don’t! On the package of Nutella, it specifically says not to melt Nutella. I made that mistake the first time I made these and unfortunately it makes for a clumpy chocolate hazelnut mess, which makes it hard to coat the rice Chex cereal.
Over the years, I’ve perfected these Nutella Muddy Buddies and found that if you simply mix the Nutella into the butter and chocolate after they’re melted in the microwave, you get a much smoother Nutella chocolate sauce to coat your rice Chex cereal.
Even distribution is key here people, we don’t want half of the chex cereal hogging all of the chocolate nutella goodness! 😉
How many calories are in this recipe?
This recipe contains 418 calories per cup and makes 9 cups.
More Nutella recipes to try
- Chewy Nutella Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Creamy Nutella Hummus
- Easy Nutella Cheesecake Bites
- Decadent Nutella Chocolate Gluten Free Skillet Brownie
Tools & pantry items used to make this recipe
Nutella Muddy Buddies
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup nutella hazelnut spread
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 9 cups rice chex cereal
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- Add the chocolate chips and butter to a medium mixing bowl. Place in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the microwave, stir, then microwave for an additional minute.
- Remove from the microwave and stir in the nutella and vanilla extract.
- Add the rice chex cereal to a large bowl and pour the chocolate nutella mixture on top. Toss to coat.
- Add the powdered sugar to the bowl and toss together until the rice chex cereal is fully covered.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.