Nutella Muddy Buddies
This post may contain affiliate links.
This recipe for Muddy Buddies (also known as puppy chow) is made without peanut butter. Instead, we’re adding in everyone’s favorite Hazelnut spread, Nutella! It’s easy to make in just 10 minutes with only 6 ingredients!
Nutella Muddy Buddies are naturally gluten free and you can easily cut the recipe in half to make a small batch. This sweet treat is perfect for an afternoon snack, or bag it up and take it to neighbors, friends or parties!
Now the real question is, did you call them muddy buddies or puppy chow as a kid?
I called them muddy buddies, but no matter what you called them, I know I’m not the only one who was totally obsessed with this delicious sweet snack as a kid! It was always a favorite at holiday parties, birthday parties and just a delicious dessert to have around the house.
As an adult I’ve become totally obsessed with Nutella recipes. Let’s take a look at a few of my favorites.
- Nutella Rice Krispie Treats – talk about another classic childhood treat, made even better with Nutella!
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Cups with Nutella – it’s a cookie cup, filled with Nutella, what could be better?
- Nutella Cheesecake Bites – oh hello little bites of goodness!
- Nutella Brookies – it’s a brownie and a cookie IN ONE… with Nutella, come on now!!
I love the delicious hazelnut spread, so of course I had to add it to this classic recipe for muddy buddies to switch up the flavor!
One of the best parts about this recipe (besides how scrumptious it is!) is just how quick and easy it is to make. You only need 6 ingredients, most of which you probably already have in your pantry. And it only takes 10 minutes to make!
Plus you can get the kids involved and let them help toss everything together. I love making this recipe with my nieces! They really enjoy making it, and of course, we all enjoy eating it!
Table of contents
- Chocolate chips – for this recipe, I use semi-sweet chocolate chips. You could also use milk chocolate or dark chocolate chips instead.
- Unsalted butter
- Nutella – or your favorite brand of hazelnut spread. Alternatively, if you want to make traditional muddy buddies, just sub in creamy peanut butter for the Nutella.
- Vanilla extract
- Rice Chex cereal – while rice is the most popular type of Chex cereal used to make muddy buddies, you could also use Wheat Chex, Chocolate Chex, Peanut Butter Chex or Corn Chex instead.
- Powdered sugar
Step by step instructions
- Add the chocolate chips and butter to a small microwaveable bowl. Place in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the microwave, stir, then microwave for an additional 30 seconds. Remove from the microwave and stir in the Nutella and vanilla extract.
- Add the Rice Chex cereal to a large bowl and pour the Nutella chocolate mixture on top.
- Toss to coat the cereal in the Nutella chocolate mixture.
- Add powdered sugar to the bowl.
- Use a spatula, or your hands, to toss the muddy buddies in the powdered sugar until they’re evenly coated.
Alternatively, you can add the cereal to a gallon size plastic bag, then add the Nutella chocolate mixture, seal the bag and toss to coat. Add in the powdered sugar and shake the bag until all of the cereal is fully coated in the powdered sugar.
Variations and mix-in ideas
- Pretzels or peanuts can be mixed into muddy buddies for a sweet and salty Chex mix style snack.
- For more sweetness, mix in M&M’s, Reese’s Pieces, sprinkles, peanut butter chips or butterscotch chips.
- Around the holidays, I like to mix in pretzels, red and green M&M’s and mini peanut butter cups to make “Reindeer Chow”.
- Cookies and cream muddy buddies can be made by using white chocolate chips instead of semi-sweet, and adding crushed oreos to the mix.
- Add powdered food coloring to the powdered sugar to make them a different color. I used this trick to make Red Velvet Puppy Chow. So festive and perfect for holiday parties!
Frequently asked questions
- How do you melt Nutella? You don’t! On the package of Nutella, it specifically says not to melt Nutella. I made that mistake the first time I made these and unfortunately it makes for a clumpy chocolate hazelnut mess. Over the years, I’ve perfected this Nutella Muddy Buddies recipe and found that if you simply mix the Nutella into the butter and chocolate after they’re melted in the microwave, you get a much smoother Nutella chocolate sauce to coat your Rice Chex cereal.
- How long can you store muddy buddies? Sealed in an airtight container, muddy buddies can be stored at room temperature for up to 5 days. After 5 days, you can put them in the refrigerator for another 5-7 days.
- Are muddy buddies gluten free? Yes! Rice Chex cereal is gluten-free, which means Muddy Buddies are naturally gluten free, without making any substitutions.
- Can you make them without chocolate chips? Sure, you could also use 1 cup of chopped chocolate or chocolate chunks. You could also melt the butter, then mix it with 1 1/2 cups Nutella and omit the chocolate chips altogether.
- How do you make a small batch of muddy buddies? To make a half batch of this recipe, use 1/2 cup chocolate chips, 2 tablespoons butter, 2 tablespoons Nutella, 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract, 3 1/2 cups Rice Chex cereal and 3/4 cups powdered sugar. Follow the recipe instructions just the same as you would with a full batch.
More Nutella recipes
If you’re like me and can’t get enough of the hazelnut goodness, be sure to check out these other delicious recipes with Nutella!
- Nutella Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Nutella Hummus
- Easy Nutella Cheesecake Bites
- Nutella Chocolate Gluten Free Skillet Brownie
Nutella Muddy Buddies
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup Nutella hazelnut spread
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 7 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- Add the chocolate chips and butter to a medium mixing bowl. Place in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the microwave, stir, then microwave for an additional 30 seconds.
- Remove from the microwave and stir in the Nutella and vanilla extract.
- Add the Rice Chex cereal to a large bowl and pour the chocolate Nutella mixture on top. Toss to coat.
- Add the powdered sugar to the bowl and toss together until the cereal is fully coated in the sugar.
- Making it in a Ziplock bag: add the cereal to a gallon size plastic bag, then add the Nutella chocolate mixture, seal the bag and toss to coat. Add in the powdered sugar and shake the bag until all of the cereal is fully coated in the powdered sugar.
- Sealed in an airtight container, muddy buddies can be stored at room temperature for up to 5 days. After 5 days, you can put them in the refrigerator for another 5-7 days.
- Muddy Buddies are naturally gluten free, without making any substitutions.
- To make a half batch of this recipe, use 1/2 cup chocolate chips, 2 tablespoons butter, 2 tablespoons Nutella, 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract, 3 1/2 cups Rice Chex cereal and 3/4 cups powdered sugar. Follow the recipe instructions just the same as you would with a full batch.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.