Chicken Marsala Meatballs
This post may contain affiliate links.
Classic chicken marsala is given a fun twist in this recipe for Chicken Marsala Meatballs made by cooking pork and chicken meatballs in a creamy mushroom marsala sauce!
We love meatballs around our house! From Thai Peanut Turkey Meatballs served over rice, to Buffalo Honey Mustard Meatballs for gameday, to One Pot German Meatballs & Potatoes for an easy meal, there’s no shortage of meatball meals in our house!
One of my tricks for creating the perfect meatball is to combine two different meats. For this recreation of chicken marsala, I made pork and chicken meatballs. When using a lean protein like ground chicken breast, you want to combine it with a protein with a slightly higher fat content, like ground pork or beef.
Pork and Chicken Meatballs
To make pork and chicken meatballs, combine ground chicken and pork with breadcrumbs and eggs to bind the meatballs together. Add cooked onions and garlic, salt and pepper for flavor.
How do you grind chicken without a grinder?
If you can’t find ground chicken breast packaged in the grocery store, you can ask the butcher to grind chicken breast meat for you or you can grind the chicken yourself at home in a food processor. Simply cube the chicken breast meat, add to the food processor (no more than one pound at a time) and pulse until ground.
How long does it take to cook chicken meatballs in sauce?
Once you’ve prepared the pork and chicken meatballs, you’ll want to sear them in a skillet, remove them from the skillet, then create the chicken marsala sauce. You will then add the meatballs back to the sauce and cook the chicken meatballs in the sauce for 15 minutes on low in a covered skillet.
Is marsala wine red or white?
Marsala wine is a red wine, found in the wine section of the grocery store. You can also find marsala cooking wine online, or near the salad dressings, olive oil and vinegar in most major grocery stores.
What kind of marsala wine is best for chicken marsala?
Marsala wine is either dry or sweet. Dry marsala wine is best for chicken marsala. Sweet marsala wine would be best used in desserts, or for sipping as a dessert wine.
What can you use instead of marsala wine?
Instead of marsala wine in this chicken marsala recipe, you can substitute ½ cup dry white wine, plus 1 tbsp brandy.
For more delicious chicken recipes, check out these 5 favs:
- Tomato Basil Chicken Skewers
- Bruschetta Grilled Chicken Zoodle Bowls
- Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers
- Slow Cooker Thai Peanut Chicken Noodles
- Mediterranean Chicken Skewers
Creamy Chicken Marsala Meatballs
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 lb ground pork
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 8 oz crimini mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup marsala wine
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 8 oz egg noodles
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- To prepare the meatballs, add 1 tbsp olive oil to a large skillet or dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Add the onions, cook 3-5 minutes, add the garlic and cook for an additional minute. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground chicken and ground pork with the cooked onions and garlic. Add the salt, pepper, breadcrumbs and eggs. Combine well without over mixing.
- Form into golf ball sized meatballs. Add 1 tbsp olive oil to the skillet in which the onions were cooked. Place the skillet back on the stove over medium high heat.
- Add the meatballs and brown on each side for 1-2 minutes. Remove the meatballs from the skillet.
- Keep the skillet on medium high heat and add the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil. Add the crimini mushrooms, cook 3-4 minutes.
- Add the marsala to the pan and scrape the bottom of the pan to remove any browned pieces.
- Add the broth and cream. Bring to a simmer, then place the meatballs back in the skillet.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- While the meatballs are simmering, cook the egg noodles according to package directions.
- Serve the meatballs over the cooked egg noodles.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and lemon zest.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.