Chipotle Honey Crispy Baked Boneless Wings
This post may contain affiliate links.
Baked boneless wings are perfect for parties or a game day appetizer! They’re breaded, baked and tossed in a delicious chipotle honey sauce for a sweet and spicy snack!
With football season right around the corner, it’s time to start planning the ultimate game day menu. And what’s game day without some wings, or in this case, boneless wings!
Boneless wings are perfect for game day, you can prep them ahead of time, pop them in the oven right before game time, then toss them in your favorite sauce. Enter chipotle honey sauce, AKA, your new favorite sauce!
Load them up on a plate and serve them with toothpicks for the ultimate bite-sized party app! The chicken is crispy. The sauce is sweet and spicy. The result is delicious!
Table of contents
Ingredients you’ll need
- Corn flakes cereal
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Seasonings – garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, chipotle powder, cumin, sea salt and black pepper
- Baking powder
- Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce – these can be found at the grocery store in cans, either in the Hispanic section, or near the other canned peppers and chilies.
- Lime juice – fresh squeezed is always preferred!
- Fresh cilantro
Step by step instructions
- Soak the chicken. Combine milk, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add diced chicken pieces to the milk.
- Mix up the coating. Place the corn flakes in a food processor. Blend to a fine crumb consistency. Pour the corn flake crumbs into a shallow bowl or rimmed plate.
- Prepare the dredging ingredients. Whisk the eggs in a small shallow bowl. Combine the flour, baking powder, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, chipotle powder and cumin in another shallow bowl, or on a rimmed plate.
- Bread the chicken. Remove the chicken from the milk, letting any excess drip off, then roll it in the flour. Remove from the flour and coat the chicken in the eggs, then roll in the corn flake crumbs.
- Quick tip! When breading anything, use one hand for the wet ingredients and another hand for the dry ingredients. It helps keep things a little cleaner and prevents the dry ingredients from clumping.
- Arrange on a baking sheet. Once all of the chicken is breaded, place on an aluminum rack sprayed with cooking oil on top of a baking sheet. This allows the chicken to get nice and crispy on all sides!
- Cook the chicken. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 375°F.
- Make the sauce. While the chicken is baking, combine the chipotles, adobo sauce, honey, lime juice and cilantro in a blender.
- Coat the chicken. Remove the chicken from the oven and toss with the sauce in a bowl.
- Enjoy! Once the chicken is coated in the sauce, it’s ready to serve!
Frequently asked questions
- Do you need to flip the chicken while it’s baking? When you bake the boneless wings on a wire rack you do not need to flip them, since the heat is able to reach all sides. If you do not use a wire rack, you should flip halfway through the cooking time.
- What temp should boneless wings be cooked to? Chicken breasts should always be cooked until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- How are boneless wings different from tenders? Chicken tenders are made from the tenderloin part of the chicken, whereas boneless wings are generally made from chicken breasts cut into small pieces.
- How do you get breading to stick to chicken? Start by soaking the raw chicken in milk, then dredging it in flour. The milk will help the flour stick to the chicken. Next, coat the chicken in an egg wash, and then finally in the breading. The egg wash will help the breading stick to the chicken.
- How do you keep breaded chicken from getting soggy in the oven? Place the chicken on a wire rack to ensure that all sides get nice and crispy. Always add sauce after the chicken is cooked and eat the chicken immediately after it’s tossed in the sauce.
What to serve with them
To complete your ultimate game day feast, I suggest adding the following to the menu:
- Taco Croissants
- Jalapeño Popper Pigs in a Blanket
- Buffalo Turkey Meatball Subs
- Jalapeño Honey Carne Asada Sliders
- Buffalo Pickle Chips
- French Onion Dip Queso
More chicken recipes to try
If you can’t get enough chicken wings and tenders, make sure to check out these other flavors:
- General Tso’s Chicken Wings
- Captain Crunch Chicken Tenders
- Honey Bunches of Oats Chicken Strips
- Crispy Thai Cashew Chicken
- Sweet and Spicy Chicken Meatballs
- Or, try your favorite wing flavors in Buffalo Chicken Burgers or Tacos!
Chipotle Honey Crispy Baked Boneless Wings
- 4 cups corn flakes cereal
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1.5 lbs chicken breasts, diced
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 6 chipotles in adobo
- 2 tbsp adobo sauce
- 1 cup honey
- 4 tbsp fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Place the corn flakes in a food processor, blend to a fine crumb consistency.
- Combine the milk, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add the chicken to the milk.
- Whisk the eggs in a small shallow bowl.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, chipotle powder and cumin in another shallow bowl, or on a rimmed plate.
- Pour the corn flake crumbs into a shallow bowl or rimmed plate.
- Begin breading the chicken by removing it from the milk, letting any excess milk drip off, then rolling it in the flour.
- Remove from the flour and coat the chicken in the eggs, then roll in the corn flake crumbs.
- Once all of the chicken is breaded, place on an aluminum rack sprayed with cooking oil on top of a baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- While the chicken is baking, combine the chipotles, adobo sauce, honey, lime juice and cilantro in a blender.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and toss with the sauce.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.