French Onion Chicken Pasta
This post may contain affiliate links.
Take your love of French Onion Dip to the dinner table with this French Onion Chicken Pasta recipe! In this dish, creamy french onion dip is turned into a delicious sauce and tossed with penne pasta and shredded chicken for an easy meal made in only 29 minutes!
During football season, we go through A LOT of French Onion Dip around our house! It’s my husband Kurt’s favorite and he demands it every Sunday while watching games.
I make my own French Onion Dip Mix, which is perfect for mixing with sour cream to make the dip on Sunday’s, but it’s also great for adding to lots of delicious recipes throughout the week, like this French Onion Chicken Pasta!
Of course Kurt was more than willing to taste test this recipe three times before I perfected it for the blog!
How To Make French Onion Chicken Pasta
This perfected French Onion Chicken Pasta recipe is made by sautéing bell peppers, onions and mushrooms, then stirring in sour cream, beef broth and French Onion Dip Mix to make the sauce. Toss in cooked, shredded chicken and cooked penne pasta, top with grated gruyere cheese and dinner is on the table!
What is a good substitute for gruyere cheese?
I used gruyere cheese to top this French Onion Chicken Pasta dish, since that is the cheese traditionally used in French Onion Soup, but if gruyere can’t be found, you can substitute swiss cheese instead.
How to make Shredded Chicken
This recipe calls for cooked, shredded chicken. You can either purchase a cooked rotisserie chicken at the store and shred it at home, or you can easily prepare the chicken at home ahead of time using one of these three methods. Every ½ lb of chicken will produce approximately 1 cup of cooked, shredded chicken.
- Instant Pot: Add the chicken to the Instant Pot, pour water or chicken broth into the Instant Pot, until it reaches 1″ over the chicken. Press the poultry button on the Instant Pot and allow it to pressure cook. Once the steam has released, remove the chicken and shred.
- Crock Pot: Add the chicken to the crock pot and cover with water or chicken broth. Slow cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. Remove the chicken and shred.
- Stovetop Boil: Add the chicken to a large pot on the stove over high heat, cover with water or chicken broth, once the liquid is boiling, reduce the heat and let simmer for 10-15 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pot and shred.
No matter which method I use to prepare the chicken, I always use meat claws to shred the chicken. They make it so easy and they’re only $10, one of my favorite little nifty kitchen tools!
I like to make a large batch of cooked, shredded chicken and use it in different recipes throughout the week. Here are 5 of my favorite recipes to use it in:
- Buffalo Chicken Cheesy Penne
- Quinoa Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Cajun Chicken Pot Pie
- BBQ Chicken Mac & Cheese
- Green Chili Chicken Spaghetti Squash
Don’t forget to pin this French Onion Chicken Pasta recipe for later and when you make it, be sure to share a pic on Instagram and tag me @WhitneyBond or use the hashtag #WBRecipes!
French Onion Chicken Pasta
- 12 oz uncooked penne pasta
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup beef broth
- 1 tbsp French Onion Dip Mix, click link for an easy homemade mix recipe
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken breast, boil or pressure cook 1 lb of chicken and shred
- ½ cup gruyere cheese, shredded
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil, add the penne pasta and cook according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Add the butter to a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Once the butter has melted, add the onions, bell peppers and mushrooms, saute 5-6 minutes.
- Add the sour cream, beef broth and french onion dip mix to the sautéed veggies, stir everything together and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken and cooked penne pasta to the creamy veggie sauce, stir to combine and serve immediately.
- Top with shredded gruyere cheese.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.