French Onion Dip Mix
This post may contain affiliate links.
Make french onion dip, french onion soup, french onion chicken recipes and more with this easy homemade French Onion Dip Mix recipe. Just mix 6 ingredients together and store in the pantry until ready to use!
I love making my own homemade seasonings! It’s cheaper than buying packaged seasonings at the store, you know exactly what’s going in it and you can make a big batch of it and have it on hand to add to recipes throughout the week!
A couple times I year, I head to Costco or hop on Amazon and purchase several large containers of spices to create my favorite seasoning mixes. These 7 spices are always on my list:
I use these to then mix up my Taco Seasoning, Fajita Seasoning, Ranch Seasoning Mix and this French Onion Dip Mix.
I keep them in mason jars in the pantry so they’re ready to use in recipes anytime!
Table of contents
What’s in the mix?
This french onion mix is a combination of garlic powder, onion powder, minced onion, beef bouillon, salt and black pepper. The recipe provided comes out to just over one ounce, which is the equivalent to one envelope of French Onion Soup and Dip Mix at the grocery store.
I usually make the recipe x 10 to have on hand. For that, you’ll want to mix up:
- 10 tablespoons dried minced onions
- 5 tablespoons granulated beef bouillon
- 10 teaspoons onion powder
- 10 teaspoons garlic powder
- 5 teaspoons salt
- 2 ½ teaspoons black pepper
Two tablespoons = one ounce, so if a recipe calls for one envelope of French Onion Mix, you’ll want to add two tablespoons of the homemade recipe.
Is beef bouillon gluten free?
It depends on the brand. Knorr Beef Granulated Bouillon contains Autolyzed Yeast Extract (Barley) which means it is not gluten free.
To make a gluten free mix, you can substitute Herb-Ox Beef Bouillon which is gluten free or Massel Beef Style Bouillon, which is also gluten free.
Recipes to make with it
- French Onion Dip – combine 2 tbsp French Onion Dip Mix with 16 oz sour cream
- French Onion Soup – boil 3 ½ cups water, add 2 tbsp French Onion Dip Mix, ½ cup dry white wine, 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce and ¼ tsp dried thyme leaves. Simmer covered for 10 minutes.
- French Onion Burgers – add 1 tbsp French Onion Dip Mix to 1 lb. of hamburger meat to make incredibly flavorful burgers!
- French Onion Chicken Pasta
- Instant Pot French Onion Pot Roast
- French Onion Dip Tacos
- Slow Cooker French Onion Meatball Soup
- Instant Pot French Onion Mushroom Risotto
- French Onion Dip Queso
More seasoning mixes to try
Fill your pantry with all of these easy, delicious homemade seasoning blends!
Don’t forget to pin this French Onion Dip Mix for later and when you make it, be sure to share a pic on Instagram and tag me @WhitneyBond or use the hashtag #WBRecipes!
French Onion Dip Mix
- 1 tbsp dried minced onions
- ½ tbsp granulated beef bouillon
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl or mason jar.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
7 Comments on “French Onion Dip Mix”
Good morning can i substitute or eliminate the wine when making the soup
Hi Deneen! You can substitute chicken broth for the white wine in the soup recipe. Enjoy!
Thank you Whitney, I can’t wait to try this with the pot roast recipe you posted!
Awesome! You’re going to love it! That’s my favorite pot roast ever!
If I only have bouillon cubes, can I just crush those to make it granulated?
Hi Renee, yes definitely! I’ve done this before and it works just fine!
I made up a pint of this and store it in a glass jar and sprinkle it on several things, great on veggies and chicken.