Make french onion dip, french onion soup, french onion chicken recipes and more with this easy homemade French Onion Dip Mix recipe, just mix 6 ingredients together and store in the pantry until ready to use!
I love making my own homemade seasonings! It’s cheaper than buying packaged seasonings at the store, you know exactly what’s going in it and you can make a big batch of it and have it on hand to add to recipes throughout the week!
One or two times I year, I head to Costco or hop on Amazon and purchase several large containers of spices to create my favorite seasoning mixes. These 7 spices are always on my list:
I keep them in mason jars in the pantry so they’re ready to use in recipes anytime!
What’s in French Onion Dip Mix?
This french onion mix is a combination of garlic powder, onion powder, minced onion, beef bouillon, salt and black pepper. The recipe provided comes out to just over one ounce, which is the equivalent to one envelope of French Onion Soup and Dip Mix at the grocery store.
I usually make the recipe x 10 to have on hand. For that, you’ll want to mix up:
- 10 tbsp dried minced onions
- 5 tbsp granulated beef bouillon
- 10 tsp onion powder
- 10 tsp garlic powder
- 5 tsp salt
- 2 ½ tsp black pepper
Two tablespoons = one ounce, so if a recipe calls for one envelope of French Onion Mix, you’ll want to add two tablespoons of the homemade recipe.
Is Beef Bouillon Gluten Free?
It depends on the brand. Knorr Beef Granulated Bouillon contains Autolyzed Yeast Extract (Barley) which means it is not gluten free.
What to make with French Onion Dip Mix?
- French Onion Dip – combine 2 tbsp French Onion Dip Mix with 16 oz sour cream
- French Onion Soup – boil 3 ½ cups water, add 2 tbsp French Onion Dip Mix, ½ cup dry white wine, 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce and ¼ tsp dried thyme leaves. Simmer covered for 10 minutes.
- French Onion Burgers – add 1 tbsp French Onion Dip Mix to 1 lb. of hamburger meat to make incredibly flavorful burgers!
- French Onion Chicken Pasta – recipe coming soon!
- Instant Pot French Onion Beef – recipe coming soon!
French Onion Dip Mix
- 1 tbsp dried minced onions
- ½ tbsp granulated beef bouillon
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl or mason jar.
This recipe makes 1.25 ounces, or two ½ tablespoons.
One envelope of French Onion Soup and Dip Mix found in the grocery store equals 1 ounce or two tablespoons.