Montreal Steak Seasoning
This post may contain affiliate links.
Ditch the store-bought jar and make your own easy, homemade Montreal Steak Seasoning with just 6 ingredients! This seasoning mix is the best way to flavor steaks before grilling them, but it’s also perfect for seasoning burgers or roasted vegetables!
I use this seasoning mix almost as much as I do salt and pepper, and I’m sharing my 10 favorite ways to use it below!
McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning has been a staple in my pantry for years. That was, until I realized that I could make my own copycat recipe at home. This homemade version is fresh, easy to make and contains no oil, sugar or artificial flavors.
The key to a great steak seasoning is coarse ground salt, coarse ground black pepper, dried minced garlic and dried minced onion. The coarse spices will give your steak, burgers or veggies a bold flavor and great texture!
Even though it has “steak” in the name, this seasoning mix is actually vegan, gluten free and whole30 approved. It’s a great spice blend to keep around for seasoning just about anything! When you want something with just a little more oomph than salt and pepper, Montreal Steak Seasoning to the rescue!
What is it made of?
Montreal Steak Seasoning is a combination of the following 6 spices.
- Coarse Kosher Salt
- Coarse Ground Black Pepper
- Paprika – while I use a mild paprika to make this steak seasoning, if you’d like to add a little smokiness to the flavor, feel free to use smoked paprika instead.
- Minced Garlic – some steak seasoning recipes will use garlic powder or onion powder, but I much prefer the texture of minced garlic and onions in my steak seasoning!
- Minced Onion
- Red Pepper Flakes
How to make it
Combine all of the ingredients together in a small bowl or jar.
Store in a mason jar or airtight container, in the pantry, for up to 6 months. While the seasoning mix will stay good in the pantry for much longer than 6 months, after 6 months, the spices will begin to lose their flavor.
That’s why I recommend labeling the steak seasoning with a date and trying to use up the seasoning mix within 6 months. In my house, we double this recipe and it’s easily gone in a month, so I don’t think you’ll have a problem using it all up!
How to use it
Speaking of using up all the seasoning mix, here are 10 of my favorite ways to use it at home!
- As a steak rub. This one is pretty obvious, but it really is the best way to season a steak! Simply use it as a dry rub by rubbing it on the outside of a steak before grilling, pan-searing or oven-roasting it.
- To season chicken. Just because it has steak in the name, doesn’t mean it’s not delicious on other proteins!
- Try it in this recipe for Lemon Rosemary Chicken!
- To season pork. Just as it adds incredible flavor to chicken, this steak seasoning recipe also adds so much flavor to pork tenderloin, pork chops or pork roasts. Try it in these easy pork recipes!
- To season turkey. Use this steak seasoning as part of an incredible rub on a whole turkey or turkey breast. Try it in this turkey breast recipe that’s perfect for Thanksgiving, but seriously delicious year-round!
- For roasting or grilling vegetables. My favorite way to season roasted or grilled vegetables is by tossing them in a little olive oil and this steak seasoning blend. Try it in these easy veggie recipes!
- For seasoning potatoes. Everyone knows that a good potato recipe is a well-salted potato recipe. And this seasoning with coarse kosher salt is perfect in everything from roasted potatoes to mashed potatoes! Try it in these tasty potato recipes.
- For seasoning burgers. Instead of using salt and pepper to season your burger patties, add this steak seasoning. It gives the burgers amazing flavor!
- Try it in these Sous Vide Burger Sliders.
- To season pot roast. Let a beef chuck roast slow cook in the flavors of steak seasoning, onions and carrots. I promise, you’ll love the fall apart tender beef and the delicious flavor from the seasoning mix!
- Try it in this Garlic Herb Slow Cooker Pot Roast recipe!
- To season meatloaf. No boring, bland meatloaves around here! Steak seasoning adds wonderful flavor to any meatloaf, but I promise you’ll love it in this Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf recipe!
- To season cheeseburger egg rolls. Yes, these are a real thing and they are the perfect appetizer for game day! The filling is seasoned with Worcestershire sauce and steak seasoning, which makes them crispy on the outside and incredibly flavorful and cheesy on the inside!
More seasoning recipes to try
Fill up your pantry with these other easy homemade seasoning mixes!
- Cajun Seasoning
- Fajita Seasoning
- Chili Seasoning
- Taco Seasoning
- Ranch Seasoning Mix
- Italian Seasoning
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
- French Onion Dip Mix
- Chicken Seasoning
Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons coarse kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons coarse ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl or mason jar.
- Store in an airtight container, such as a mason jar, in the pantry for up to 6 months.
- While the seasoning mix will stay good in the pantry for longer than 6 months, the spices will begin to lose their flavor after 6 months. This is why I recommend labeling the seasoning mix with a date and using it up within 6 months.
- This seasoning blend is naturally gluten free, vegan and whole30 approved.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.