Homemade fajita seasoning is easy to make with this simple 8 ingredient gluten free and whole 30 recipe. It’s perfect for steak, vegetables, shrimp or chicken fajitas!
I love making my own seasonings at home! It has so many benefits vs. buying store bought pre-made seasonings.
- It’s cheaper! Check out the bulk spice section at your local grocery store for spices at a fraction of the cost. The commercial size spices at Costco, Smart and Final or on Amazon are also great for making your own seasoning blends. You can then make spice blends for an entire year at a fraction of the cost!
- You know exactly what’s in it. No hidden ingredients. No secret products that I can’t pronounce containing gluten or sugar!
- Making a big batch of your own seasoning blends at home means you always have them on hand.
When I met Kurt, he lived on a cereal and fajitas diet most of the time. Needless to say, his diet has gotten quite the upgrade over the last 4 years! Even though I’ve incorporated a lot of new recipes into his weekly diet, he still loves his fajitas.
We make chicken fajitas, steak fajitas and veggie fajitas regularly for dinner. With this homemade Fajita seasoning, it’s easy to make any night fajita night!
What is fajita seasoning made of?
How to store Fajita Seasoning
I store all of my fajita seasoning mixes in half pint mason jars. You can double this recipe and it will fit in the half pint jars.
The fajita seasoning will stay good in the pantry for 2-3 years.
Is there a difference between taco seasoning and fajita seasoning?
The portions of spices are different in taco seasoning and fajita seasoning. In a pinch you can use them interchangeably, but I recommend making both to keep on hand.
The fajita seasoning contains more dried oregano and salt, with less garlic powder and onion powder than the tacos seasoning.
How do you make fajitas?
Add olive oil to a skillet over medium high heat. Add sliced bell peppers and onions, saute 4-5 minutes then add one pound of sliced meat or vegetables. Skirt steak, chicken breasts, shrimp or mushrooms all make delicious fajitas.
Add 2 tbsp fajita seasoning per pound of meat or vegetables with ¼ cup lime juice. Saute for 4-5 minutes or until the meat is cooked through.
Place the fajitas in tortillas or serve over rice for fajita bowls. For low carb fajita bowls, serve with Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice.
What goes good in fajitas?
My go-to fajita toppings are fresh sliced avocado and cilantro. You can also add cheese, sour cream, salsa or hot sauce.
Try this fajita seasoning in these delicious recipes!
- Veggie Fajita Rice Bowls
- Chicken Fajita Burritos
- Sheet Pan Salmon Fajitas
- Fajita Meatball Sliders
- One Pot Chicken Fajita Pasta
Homemade fajita seasoning is easy to make with this simple 8 ingredient recipe, perfect for steak, vegetables, shrimp or chicken fajitas!
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- Combine all of the spices together in a small bowl or mason jar.
- Store in an airtight container until ready to use.