Slow Cooker French Onion Meatball Soup
This post may contain affiliate links.
Delicious pork & beef meatballs are added to a crockpot with caramelized onions, herbs & beef broth to make this amazing French Onion Meatball Soup recipe!
One of my favorite things to do is combine two foods I love into one amazing new recipe creation!
Today I have a delicious new recipe mash-up to share, combining meatballs and french onion soup. Together, they make the best meatball soup ever!
The meatballs can be served with the broth, soup style, tossed with egg noodles, or spooned over mashed potatoes.
I tried each version so that I could give my honest feedback on which way to serve it and honestly, I couldn’t pick just one! You seriously can’t go wrong with any of these options!
How do you make Meatball Soup?
For this crockpot meatball soup, start by sautéing the onions, then add them to a slow cooker and make the meatballs.
To make the meatballs, combine sautéed onions and garlic with ground beef, ground pork, breadcrumbs, egg yolks and french onion dip mix. Form into meatballs, then sear on each side.
Add the meatballs to a slow cooker, then add flour to the pan you seared the meatballs in. Combine the flour with the pan drippings from the meatballs, then add white wine, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce and french onion dip mix.
Pour this mixture into the slow cooker with a couple sprigs of fresh thyme and bay leaves.
How long do you cook meatball soup?
The meatball soup should be cooked in the slow cooker for at least 2 hours on high, or 4-6 hours on low.
Why do you sear meatballs before adding them to the slow cooker?
While the meatballs will fully cook in the slow cooker, you always want to sear them first. Searing the meatballs helps them hold their shape in the slow cooker and not become clumped together with the other meatballs.
What to serve with Meatball Soup
- Cooked egg noodles can be tossed in with the soup before serving
- The meatballs and soup liquid can be poured over Rosemary Blue Cheese Mashed Potatoes (OMG YUM!!)
- A sliced baguette can be served alongside the soup for dipping in the soup broth
- Serve with a Roasted Butternut Squash Spinach Salad for a yummy soup and salad combo!
What else can I make with French Onion Dip Mix?
Slow Cooker Meatballs are my jam! If they’re yours too, you’ll definitely want to try these other recipes!
- Slow Cooker Thai Peanut Meatballs
- Crock Pot Italian Meatballs with Marinara
- Slow Cooker Swedish Meatballs
- Buffalo Cheesy Slow Cooker Meatballs
Slow Cooker French Onion Meatball Soup
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cups onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 3 tbsp french onion dip mix, click link for homemade recipe - divided
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 oz egg noodles, cooked
- ½ cup swiss or gruyere cheese, shredded
- baguette, sliced
- Add the butter to large skillet over medium high heat, add the 2 cups of thinly sliced onions, saure for 10 minutes, then transfer to a slow cooker.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil to the same large skillet over medium high heat, cook the diced onions 3-5 minutes, add the garlic and cook for an additional minute. Remove from the heat.
- Combine the cooked onions and garlic, ground beef, ground pork, breadcrumbs, egg yolks and 2 tbsp french onion dip mix in a large bowl.
- Use your hands to form the mixture into approximately 24 meatballs.
- In the same skillet you cooked the diced onions, add an additional tablespoon of olive oil, bring the heat up to medium-high and place the meatballs in the skillet, brown on all sides for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove the meatballs from the skillet and place in the slow cooker with the sauteed onions.
- Keep the skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add flour to the skillet with the pan drippings from the meatballs.
- Scrape up all of the meatball drippings and combine with the flour.
- Stir in the white wine and beef broth, bring to a boil.
- Add the worcestershire sauce and additional 1 tbsp french onion dip mix.
- Pour the sauce over the meatballs in the slow cooker. Add the fresh thyme and bay leaf.
- Cook on high for 2 hours or on low for 4-6 hours.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the thyme sprigs and bay leaf from the slow cooker.
- Serve with egg noodles, mashed potatoes or a sliced baguette, it you'd like. Optionally sprinkle swiss or gruyere cheese over the soup.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.