Buffalo Cheesy Slow Cooker Sausage Balls
This post may contain affiliate links.
This four ingredient recipe for Slow Cooker Sausage Balls is so easy to make! It’s the perfect party appetizer for Super Bowl, holidays, tailgate food or anytime! They’re also gluten free and low carb, at under 1 carbohydrate each!
There’s nothing I love more than a great slow cooker recipe with buffalo sauce!
Crock Pot Buffalo Mac and Cheese is one of my favorite recipes to make for dinner. Buffalo Cheeseburger Dip makes an appearance at almost all of my parties. And these Buffalo Cheesy Sausage Balls are a must-have on game day!
I’m constantly receiving requests to bring these sausage balls to parties. I’m happy to oblige because they’re seriously so easy to make and always a hit! I pop them in my “Cook and Carry” Crock Pot with a locking lid. This makes transporting them to a party so easy!
Table of contents
Step by step instructions
- Mix the ingredients. Combine ground pork sausage, cream cheese and shredded cheddar cheese in a large bowl.
- Form the balls. Shape into 18-20 balls.
- Sear the outside. Place a large pot or dutch oven on the stove over medium heat. Add the sausage balls and cook on each side for 1-2 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cook the balls. Transfer them to a slow cooker, then pour the buffalo sauce over the sausage balls. Slow cook on low for 3-4 hours, or on high for 1-2 hours.
Frequently asked questions
- Can they be made the night before? Absolutely! You can mix all of the ingredients together, form the balls and sear them the night before. Refrigerate them overnight, then add them to the slow cooker with the buffalo sauce the next day.
- Can you freeze them? Yes. Follow steps 1-4 in the instructions, then freeze the sausage balls for up to 4 months. When you’re ready to prepare them, simply add them to the slow cooker with the buffalo sauce. Cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours.
- How do you reheat them? If you want to reheat them quickly, they can be reheated in the microwave on high for 1 minute.
- You can also add them back to the slow cooker on low to reheat them. Allow at least an hour for the sausage balls to be reheated all the way through in the slow cooker.
- They can also be reheated in the oven. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the sausage balls in an even layer on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and into the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Do they need to be refrigerated? Yes, any leftover sausage balls should be stored in the refrigerator until you’re ready to reheat and serve them again.
- How long will they last in the refrigerator? Cooked sausage balls will keep in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
Tips and tricks
- I like to use a combination of one pound mild sausage and one pound hot sausage. Depending on your spice preference, you could use two pounds of mild sausage for less spice. Or you could use two pounds of hot sausage for more spice.
- The sausage will usually be labeled either as breakfast sausage or loose ground sausage. Italian sausage can also be used for a slightly different flavor!
- Instead of searing the meatballs in a skillet, you can bake them in the oven. Place the sausage balls in an even layer on a baking sheet and into the oven at 375°F for 15 minutes before adding them to the slow cooker.
- Keep the sausage balls warm in the crock pot. The great thing about making this recipe in a slow cooker is that you can simply turn the slow cooker over to the warm function after they’ve cooked completely. This will keep them warm during a party or game day celebration.
- Use leftover sausage balls to make seriously delicious meatball subs! Simply reheat the sausage balls using your preferred method, then dd them to a toasted hot dog bun or sub sandwich roll. Add a few fun toppings if you’d like! I add sliced pepperoncinis or pickled jalapeños, shredded carrots and raw sliced onion.
What to serve with them
Make the most epic party spread with these recipes:
- Dr Pepper Pulled Pork Sliders
- Steak Crostini
- French Onion Queso Dip
- Bacon Wrapped Dates
- Jalapeño Popper Bread Bowl
- Grilled Stuffed Peppers with Creamy Artichoke Dip
More buffalo sauce recipes to try
If you just can’t get enough buffalo sauce, you MUST TRY these easy recipes:
- Baked Pickle Chips with Buffalo Sauce
- Buffalo Frito Chili Pie
- Cheesy Garlic Knots with Buffalo Sauce
- Buffalo Chicken Taco Ring
- Buffalo Cheese Ball
- Cheesy Buffalo Grilled Turkey Flatbread
- Buffalo Chicken Tacos
Buffalo Cheesy Sausage Balls
- Combine the sausage, cream cheese and cheddar cheese in a large bowl.
- Form into 18-20 balls.
- Place a large pot or dutch oven on the stove over medium heat.
- Add the sausage balls and sear on each side for 1-2 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Once all of the balls are cooked through, transfer them to a slow cooker, then pour the buffalo sauce over the sausage balls.
- Slow cook on low 3-4 hours, or on high 1-2 hours.
- Instead of searing the balls in a pot on the stove, you can also sear them in the oven. Preheat oven to 375°F, place the sausage balls on a foil lined baking sheet and into the oven for 15 minutes before adding them to the slow cooker.
- These sausage balls can be frozen for up to 4 months. Follow steps 1-4, then place the sausage balls in a freezer-safe plastic bag or container and into the freezer.
- Leftover sausage balls will stay good in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
- To reheat leftover sausage balls, either place them back in the slow cooker on low for 1 hour, reheat them in the microwave on high for 1 minute or reheat them in a 350°F oven for 10-15 minutes.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.