The best four ingredient Slow Cooker Sausage Balls recipe is so easy to make! It’s the perfect party appetizer for Super Bowl, holidays, tailgate food or anytime! They’re also gluten free and low carb, at under 1 carbohydrate each!
There’s nothing I love more than a great slow cooker recipe with buffalo sauce!
Crock Pot Buffalo Mac and Cheese is one of my favorite recipes to make for dinner. Buffalo Cheeseburger Dip makes an appearance at almost everyone of my parties. And these Buffalo Cheesy Sausage Balls are a must-have on game day.
I’m constantly receiving requests to bring these sausage balls to parties. I’m happy to oblige because they’re seriously so easy to make and always a hit! I pop them in my “Cook and Carry” Crock Pot with a locking lid. This makes transporting them to a party so easy!
How To Make Sausage Balls with Cream Cheese
To make this easy sausage ball recipe, combine pork sausage with cream cheese and cheddar cheese in a large mixing bowl.
Quick Tip: I like to use a combination of one pound mild sausage and one pound hot sausage. Depending on your spice preference, you could use two pounds of mild sausage for less spice. Or you could use two pounds of hot sausage for more spice.
The sausage will usually be labeled either as breakfast sausage or loose ground sausage. Italian sausage can also be used for a slightly different flavor!
Form the mixture into balls and place in a skillet on the stove. Sear on each side for 1-2 minutes or until lightly browned on all sides.
Alternatively, place them in an even layer on a baking sheet and into the oven at 375°F for 15 minutes. Add the sausage balls to a slow cooker and cover in buffalo sauce. Slow cook on low for 3-4 hours or on high for 1-2 hours.
How to keep sausage balls warm
The great thing about making this recipe in a slow cooker is that you can simply turn the slow cooker over to the warm function after they’ve cooked completely. This will keep them warm during a party or game day celebration.
Can sausage balls be made the night before?
Absolutely! You can mix all of the ingredients together, form the balls and sear them the night before. Refrigerate them overnight, then add them to the slow cooker with the buffalo sauce the next day.
Can you freeze uncooked sausage balls?
Yes. Follow steps 1-4 in the instructions, then freeze the sausage balls for up to 4 months. When you’re ready to prepare them, simply add them to the slow cooker with the buffalo sauce. Cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours.
Can sausage balls be reheated?
Yes. If you want to reheat them quickly, they can be reheated in the microwave on high for 1 minute. You can also add them back to the slow cooker on low to reheat them. Allow at least an hour for the sausage balls to be reheated all the way through in the slow cooker.
They can also be reheated in the oven. Preheat oven to 350°f. Place the sausage balls in an even layer on a baking sheet and into the oven for 10-15 minutes.
If there are any leftover sausage balls after a party, I like to make seriously delicious meatball subs for lunch the next day! Simply reheat the sausage balls using your preferred method. Add them to a toasted hot dog bun or sub sandwich roll.
Add a few fun toppings if you’d like! I add sliced pepperoncinis or pickled jalapenos, shredded carrots and raw sliced onion.
Do sausage cheese balls need to be refrigerated?
Yes, any leftover sausage cheese balls should be stored in the refrigerator until you’re ready to reheat and serve them again.
How long will sausage balls keep in the refrigerator?
Cooked sausage balls will keep in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
For more great buffalo sauce recipes, check out these 5 favorites!
- Baked Pickle Chips with Buffalo Sauce – these crispy little pickle chips are guaranteed to be a hit on game day!
- Buffalo Frito Chili Pie – my friend Carla requests this recipe every time she comes over! It’s a slightly spicy twist on one of my childhood recipe favorites.
- Cheesy Garlic Knots with Buffalo Sauce – the only thing that could make garlic knots better is adding cheese and buffalo sauce!
- Buffalo Chicken Taco Ring – this fun & easy recipe is guaranteed to become a new weeknight family favorite!
- Buffalo Cheese Ball – the easiest appetizer recipe on the blog is also the most delicious cheese ball you’ll ever eat!
Buffalo Cheesy Sausage Balls
This easy four ingredient recipe for the best Crock Pot Buffalo Cheesy Sausage Balls with cream cheese are the perfect party appetizer for Super Bowl, holidays, tailgate food or anytime! They’re also gluten free and low carb!
- 2 lbs pork sausage
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 12 oz buffalo sauce
- Combine the sausage, cream cheese and cheddar cheese in a large bowl.
- Form into 18-20 balls.
Place a large pot or dutch oven on the stove over medium heat.
Add the sausage balls and sear on each side for 1-2 minutes or until lightly browned.
Once all of the balls are cooked through, transfer them to a slow cooker, then pour the buffalo sauce over the sausage balls.
Slow cook on low 3-4 hours, or on high 1-2 hours.
- Instead of searing the balls in a pot on the stove, you can also sear them in the oven. Preheat oven to 375°F, place the sausage balls on a foil lined baking sheet and into the oven for 15 minutes before adding them to the slow cooker.
- These sausage balls can be frozen for up to 4 months. Follow steps 1-4, then place the sausage balls in a freezer-safe plastic bag or container and into the freezer.
- Leftover sausage balls will stay good in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
- To reheat leftover sausage balls, either place them back in the slow cooker on low for 1 hour, reheat them in the microwave on high for 1 minute or reheat them in a 350°F oven for 10-15 minutes.