French Onion Dip Queso
This post may contain affiliate links.
Two of the greatest dips ever are combined in this French Onion Dip Queso Recipe! Creamy white queso + flavorful french onion dip = a match made in dip heaven! This homemade dip recipe is easy to make in less than 30 minutes and perfect for an easy afternoon snack or casual get-together!
Today’s post is sponsored by my friends at Cabot!
Growing up you would find queso on our dinner table at least once a week and French Onion Dip in our fridge every day! I’ve carried my love of these dips into adulthood.
There’s rarely a party I throw without making my Green Chili Queso Dip. And ever since I started making my own French Onion Dip Mix, you can find Kurt and I whipping up homemade French Onion Dip in the kitchen almost every weekend!
What I never thought about until recently was combining the two dips! Talk about a light bulb moment! With a fridge full of Cabot’s award-winning Seriously Sharp Cheddar Cheese, I knew that I wanted to come up with an epic new cheesy dip, worthy of the world’s best cheddar!
And that I did! This French Onion Dip Queso recipe is rich, creamy and so flavorful. It’s easy enough to whip up for an afternoon snack, but epic enough to impress friends and family members at a party or get-together.
Table of contents
Step by step instructions
- Shred the cheese. Shred two, 8 oz blocks of Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar Cheese. Shredding the cheese at home means the cheese melts better and creates the best texture for queso.
- Combine the shredded cheese with cornstarch. The cornstarch is used as a thickener to help make the sauce thick, creamy and extra dip-able!
- Caramelize the onions. In addition to using REAL CHEESE (award-winning cheddar cheese to be exact!), what makes this french onion dip so flavorful is the combination of fresh caramelized onions AND french onion dip mix. To caramelize the onions, melt butter in a large saucepan on the stove over medium high heat. Once the butter is melted, add the onions and cook down for 15 minutes, or until the onions are nicely caramelized.
- Add evaporated milk. Evaporated milk is a form of concentrated milk, in which 60% of the water content has been removed, making it very thick and seriously creamy. Thus creating a super creamy queso dip!
- Add Worcestershire sauce. Worcestershire sauce adds a wonderful smoky, umami flavor to the dip that pairs perfectly with the caramelized onions.
- Add the french onion dip mix and cheddar cheese. Once you’ve added the milk and Worcestershire sauce, it’s time to scrape up any browned bits of caramelized onions from the bottom of the saucepan, then add the french onion dip mix and shredded cheddar cheese. Stir consistently until the cheese is completely melted and the dip is smooth and creamy, about 4-5 minutes.
- Finish with sour cream. Before serving the dip, stir in 1/2 cup sour cream. This addition, once again, helps make this the creamiest dip ever!
- Serve immediately or place in a slow cooker, set to warm, to keep the dip hot, smooth and creamy for up to 4 hours!
What to serve with it
While tortilla chips are the top contender for dipping up this warm, creamy queso dip at our house, there are several other options, perfect for diving into this epic dip recipe!
- Potato Chips
- Pita Chips
- Pretzel Crisps
- Baby Carrots
- Celery Sticks
- Cauliflower florets
- Broccoli florets
- Sliced Bell Peppers
How to reheat the dip
This homemade queso dip will stay good in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, stored in an airtight container. To reheat the dip, place it in a microwave-safe bowl, cover and microwave for 60 seconds. Remove from the microwave, stir the dip, then microwave covered for an additional 60 seconds.
You can also place the queso back in a slow cooker on low, wait 30 minutes, then open the slow cooker, stir the dip and turn the slow cooker down to warm. This will keep the queso warm for up to 4 hours.
Lastly, you can reheat the queso on the stove, by adding it back to a saucepan on the stove over medium heat. Stir frequently until the cheese becomes warm, smooth and creamy.
Is it gluten free?
This queso dip can easily be made gluten free by preparing your own French Onion Dip Mix at home using gluten-free beef bouillon. Some Worcestershire sauces do contain gluten, so always be sure to check the label when purchasing the sauce at the grocery store.
All other ingredients in this recipe are naturally gluten free. Serve the dip with corn tortilla chips or vegetables for those that are gluten free.
Be sure to pick up plenty of Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar Cheese at your local grocery store to make this epic French Onion Dip Queso at home! All Cabot Cheddars are 100% naturally lactose-free and gluten-free.
Cabot is a co-operative owned by family farms throughout New England and New York, with 100% of the profits going back to the farmers. Support a farmer & eat delicious cheese, sounds like a win-win to me!
More dip recipes
When I dip, you dip, we dip into even more delicious dip recipes! Make a dip bar at your next get-together combining this French Onion Dip Queso with any of these tasty dip recipes!
- Buffalo Queso Dip
- Cheesy Baked Taco Dip – fan favorite!! Made with Cabot Habanero Cheddar Cheese.
- Italian 5 Layer Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Dip Bread Bowl
- Jalapeno Pumpkin Dip – a fun traditional Jamaican dip!
- Buffalo Cheeseburger Dip
- Spicy Sriracha Hummus Dip
French Onion Dip Queso
- 16 oz Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 cups onion, diced
- 12 oz evaporated milk
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp French Onion Dip Mix
- ½ cup sour cream
- tortilla chips
- Toss the shredded cheddar cheese with the cornstarch and set aside.
- Add the butter to a large saucepan on the stove over medium high heat.
- Once the butter is melted, add the onion and cook down for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the evaporated milk and worcestershire sauce, scraping up any browned bits of caramelized onions from the bottom of the saucepan.
- Add the french onion dip mix and cheddar cheese.
- Stir until the cheese is melted.
- Once the cheese is melted and the queso is smooth and creamy, stir in the sour cream before serving the dip.
- Serve with tortilla chips or veggies for dipping.
- The nutritional information provided does not include the serving options of tortilla chips or veggies.
- This dip can be transferred to a slow cooker, set to warm, for serving up to 4 hours at a party or get-together.
- This queso dip will stay good in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, stored in an airtight container.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.