Cheesy Baked Taco Dip
This post may contain affiliate links.
The BEST cheesy baked taco dip is made with layered cream cheese and green chilies, taco seasoned ground beef, beans, salsa and guacamole! This hot dip is easy to make and the perfect appetizer for parties or game day!
Hello Taco Tuesday! Let’s turn this taco party up a notch today with a seriously delicious dip! For this recipe, I took the idea of the classic 7 Layer Dip, then took it to another level!
While cold dips can be great, there’s really nothing like the taste of a warm, cheesy dip coming out of the oven and straight onto a chip!
This Cheesy Baked Taco Dip is absolutely perfect for a party, pot luck or the ultimate game day, Super Bowl Sunday. My friends love this recipe and request it every time I throw a party! It has all the flavor of your favorite ground beef tacos in warm dip form, what could be better?
Table of contents
- Olive oil
- Garlic cloves
- Ground beef – or ground turkey. I’ve used both to make this recipe over the years and they are both delicious in this dip!
- Taco seasoning – click the link for my homemade taco seasoning recipe. It’s so flavorful and easy to mix up in just 5 minutes! You can also purchase pre-made taco seasoning in the spice aisle at the grocery store.
- Salsa – feel free to use chunky or smooth salsa, hot, medium or mild, it’s really your choice. I like to use a slightly chunky medium salsa for a little added spice and texture. This homemade salsa recipe is perfect in this dip!
- Black beans – kidney beans could also be used in place of the black beans. You’ll want to use cooked, canned beans, not dried beans for this recipe.
- Cream cheese
- Diced green chilies
- Pepper jack cheese – or spicy cheddar cheese for even more of a spicy kick!
- Guacamole – click the link for my easy 10 minute guacamole recipe!
- Green onions
Step by step instructions
- Sauté the onions and cook the meat. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and cook the diced onions for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for an additional minute. Add the ground beef and cook through. Once the meat is cooked through, drain any grease.
- Season. Mix in the taco seasoning, salsa and black beans.
- Simmer. Stir to combine all of the ingredients, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Make the base. Combine the cream cheese and green chilies in a small bowl. Then spread the cream cheese mixture in the bottom of an oven-safe baking or casserole dish, a 10″ cast iron skillet works great!
- Load it up. Top the cream cheese with the ground beef mixture.
- Add the cheese and bake. Sprinkle the pepper jack, or spicy cheddar, shredded cheese evenly over the ground beef mixture. Place in a 400°F oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Garnish and serve. Remove from the oven and top with the guacamole, green onions and tomatoes. Serve with tortilla chips for dipping.
Take this taco dip to another level by adding even more of your favorite taco toppings to the dip after it comes out of the oven! Try it with any of the ideas below.
- Sour cream
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Pico de gallo
- Hot sauce
- Shredded lettuce
- Black olives
- Fresh or pickled jalapenos
Frequently asked questions
- Can it be made ahead of time? Yes, this taco dip can be made ahead of time. Simply prepare the entire dip, cover it with foil or plastic wrap and place it in the fridge. About 30 minutes before serving, preheat the oven, then bake the dip for 20 minutes.
- How long does it last? Leftover taco dip will last in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. To reheat, either place back in the oven for 15 minutes or reheat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.
- Can you make it in a crock pot? Instead of baking the taco dip in the oven, you can also layer it up in a small crock pot. Cook the dip in the crock pot set to low for 1 hour. After an hour, switch the slow cooker over to the warm setting.
- Quick tip! This is a great option for a party, as the dip will stay warm throughout the event for guests to enjoy!
- Is it gluten free? Yes, this taco dip is gluten free. I always use Homemade Taco Seasoning because I know exactly what’s in it and that it’s 100% gluten free. If purchasing packaged taco seasoning mix at the grocery store, always read the label to make sure it’s gluten free.
- How to make it without meat? It’s so easy to make this taco dip vegetarian. Replace the ground turkey or beef with soy chorizo or meatless crumbles. You can also substitute an extra 15 oz can of black beans for the ground meat.
What to serve with it
If you’re having a party, or even just a fun family night in, serve a smorgasbord of appetizers along with this dip!
- Cheesy Green Chili Chicken Rolled Tacos
- Taco Meatballs
- Grilled Tomatillo Pineapple Guacamole
- Mexican Sausage Balls
- The Ultimate Pulled Pork Nachos
- Taco Croissants
More dip recipes to try
When you need more dip for your chips, check out these fabulous options:
- French Onion Queso Dip
- Chipotle Bacon Guacamole
- Italian 5 Layer Dip
- Watermelon Salsa
- Slow Cooker Ham and Cheese Jalapeño Popper Dip
- Creamy Avocado Salsa
- Green Chili Chorizo Queso Dip
Cheesy Baked Taco Dip
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground turkey, or beef
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning, click link for homemade recipe
- 16 oz jar salsa
- 15 oz can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 16 oz cream cheese
- 4 oz can diced green chilies
- 2 cups spicy cheddar, or pepper jack cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup guacamole, click link for easy recipe
- 2 tbsp green onions, diced
- ½ cup tomatoes, diced
- 10 oz bag tortilla chips
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions, saute 3 minutes, add the garlic & saute an additional 1 minute.
- Add the turkey and cook through.
- Once the turkey is cooked through, drain any grease, then add the taco seasoning, salsa & black beans.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, combine the cream cheese and green chilies in a small bowl.
- Spread in the bottom of an oven-safe baking dish.
- Top with the ground turkey mixture.
- Top with the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Place in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with the guacamole, green onions & tomatoes.
- Serve with tortilla chips for dipping.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.