Cheesy Baked Taco Dip
This post may contain affiliate links.
The ultimate cheesy baked taco dip is an easy appetizer made with layers of cream cheese, taco seasoned ground beef or turkey, beans, salsa & guacamole!
Hello Taco Tuesday! Let’s turn this taco party up a notch today with a seriously delicious dip!
For this recipe, I took the idea of the classic 7 Layer Dip, then took it to another level!
While cold dips can be great, there’s really nothing like the taste of a warm, cheesy dip coming out of the oven and straight onto a chip!
This Cheesy Baked Taco Dip is absolutely perfect for a party, pot luck or the ultimate game day, Super Bowl Sunday! My friends love this recipe and request it every time I throw a party!
Table of contents
Step by step instructions
- Sauté the onions. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and cook diced onions for 3 minutes. Then add garlic and sauté an additional minute.
- Cook the meat. Add the ground turkey, or ground beef, and cook through. Once the meat is cooked through, drain any grease.
- Season. Mix in taco seasoning, salsa and black beans. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Make the base. Combine the cream cheese and green chilies in a small bowl. Then spread in the bottom of an oven-safe baking dish, a 10″ cast iron skillet works great!
- Load it up. Top the cream cheese with the ground turkey mixture. Then cover with the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake. Place in a 400°F oven for 20 minutes.
- Garnish and serve. Remove from the oven and top with the guacamole, green onions and tomatoes. Serve with tortilla chips for dipping.
Frequently asked questions
- Can it be made ahead of time? Yes, this taco dip can be made ahead of time. Simply prepare the entire dip, cover it with foil or plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator. About 30 minutes before serving, preheat the oven, then bake the dip for 20 minutes.
- How long does it last? Leftover taco dip will last in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. To reheat, either place back in the oven for 15 minutes or reheat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.
- Can you make it in a crock pot? Instead of baking the taco dip in the oven, you can also layer it up in a small crock pot. Cook the dip in the crock pot set to low for 1 hour. After an hour, switch the slow cooker over to the warm setting.
- Quick tip! This is a great option for a party, as the dip will stay warm throughout the event for guests to enjoy!
- Is it gluten free? Yes, this taco dip is gluten free. I always use Homemade Taco Seasoning because I know exactly what’s in it and that it’s 100% gluten free. If purchasing packaged taco seasoning mix at the grocery store, always read the label to make sure it’s gluten free.
- How to make it without meat? It’s so easy to make this taco dip vegetarian. Replace the ground turkey or beef with soy chorizo or meatless crumbles. You can also substitute an extra 15 oz can of black beans for the ground meat.
What to serve with it
If you’re having a party, or even just a fun family night in, serve a smorgasbord of appetizers along with this dip!
- Cheesy Green Chili Chicken Rolled Tacos
- Taco Meatballs
- Grilled Tomatillo Pineapple Guacamole
- Mexican Sausage Balls
- The Ultimate Pulled Pork Nachos
- Taco Croissants
More dip recipes to try
When you need more dip for your chips, check out these fabulous options:
- French Onion Queso Dip
- Chipotle Bacon Guacamole
- Italian 5 Layer Dip
- Watermelon Salsa
- Slow Cooker Ham and Cheese Jalapeño Popper Dip
- Creamy Avocado Salsa
Cheesy Baked Taco Dip
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground turkey, or beef
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning, click link for homemade recipe
- 16 oz jar salsa
- 15 oz can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 16 oz cream cheese
- 4 oz can diced green chilies
- 2 cups spicy cheddar, or pepper jack cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup guacamole
- 2 tbsp green onions, diced
- ½ cup tomatoes, diced
- 10 oz bag tortilla chips
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions, saute 3 minutes, add the garlic & saute an additional 1 minute.
- Add the turkey and cook through.
- Once the turkey is cooked through, drain any grease, then add the taco seasoning, salsa & black beans.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, combine the cream cheese and green chilies in a small bowl.
- Spread in the bottom of an oven-safe baking dish.
- Top with the ground turkey mixture.
- Top with the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Place in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with the guacamole, green onions & tomatoes.
- Serve with tortilla chips for dipping.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.