One Pot Taco Chicken & Rice
This post may contain affiliate links.
In one pot and under an hour, whip up this delicious Taco Chicken and Rice for dinner, it’s flavorful, easy to make and gluten free!
One pot meals, tacos, rice, these are a few of my favorite things and they’re all combined in this yummy dish!
Cooking = LOVE!
Doing Dishes = HATE!
The one pot meal phenomenon is alive and well in my house, because one pot = one dish to clean = happy Whitney 🙂
I’ve been making this One Pot Mexican Rice for years. It’s one of my Moms favorite recipes on the blog and it’s an awesome side dish for tacos, enchiladas or fajitas.
A few weeks ago I had the idea to turn it into a complete meal by adding chicken right into the dish.
A little spice and a lot of flavor is what you’ll get from this simple one pot taco chicken and rice dish!
All you have to do to bring this dish to life is saute onions, jalapenos, garlic and chicken in a large pot. Add rice, spices and diced tomatoes with green chilies, pour chicken broth over the top, bring it to a simmer, cover and let it cook!
Before serving sprinkle with cheese and let it melt over the top, then add the toppings of your choice like fresh cilantro or avocado. I always add avocado, because my avocado obsession is real y’all!
I made this dish in this 5 Quart Dutch Oven, which is the perfect size for making one pot meals! (↑ affiliate link)
If you love one pot meals as much as I do, you have to check out these five favorites!
- One Pot Buffalo Taco Spaghetti
- One Pot Greek Pasta
- One Pot German Meatballs and Potatoes
- One Pot Chicken Fajita Pasta
- One Pot Buffalo Chicken Cheesy Tortellini
One Pot Taco Chicken & Rice
- 1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts , cubed
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups pepper jack cheese, shredded
- Add the chicken, onion, garlic and jalapeno to a large pot over medium high heat.
- Saute 4-5 minutes.
- Add the kosher salt, chili powder, ground cumin and rice to the pot.
- Toast the rice in the pot for 2-3 minutes, then add the diced tomatoes with green chilies and chicken broth.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 20-25 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Remove the lid and sprinkle the pepper jack cheese on top.
- Remove the pot from the heat and allow the cheese to melt over the dish, then serve immediately.
- Top with the optional toppings of your choice.
- Optional toppings are not included in the nutritional information provided.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.