Roasted Red Pepper Turkey Bolognese
This post may contain affiliate links.
Roasted red peppers add a delicious flavor to this healthy Turkey Bolognese recipe, serve over spaghetti or with zucchini noodles for a gluten free meal.
With a new year, comes new years resolutions to eat healthier.
For me, one of the best ingredients to keep in the fridge to stay healthy is extra lean ground turkey breast. It’s loaded with protein and low in fat and calories, making it a great choice for substituting ground beef in recipes like tacos, meatballs, chili and bolognese!
This turkey bolognese has only 262 calories and 5 grams fat per serving, while it boasts 31 grams of protein per serving. (This recipe makes 4 servings!)
The sauce can be served with traditional pasta, or switch it up and serve the sauce over roasted spaghetti squash or sautéed zucchini noodles to keep it low carb and gluten free!
A pureed jar of roasted red peppers adds delicious flavor to this light and scrumptious turkey bolognese!
Roasted Red Pepper Turkey Bolognese Ingredients
- 16 oz jar roasted red bell peppers (drained) – or make your own easy homemade roasted red peppers
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 lb extra lean ground turkey breast (99% fat free)
- 1 tbsp fresh basil (chopped)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
Roasted Red Pepper Turkey Bolognese Instructions
Place the roasted red bell peppers in a blender or food processor and puree until creamy. Set aside.
Add the olive oil to a large skillet or dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, turkey, basil, oregano, parsley, black pepper and kosher salt.
Cook for 8-10 minutes, or until the turkey is cooked through. Add the roasted red pepper puree, diced tomatoes* and tomato paste.
*If you prefer a less chunky sauce, you can puree the diced tomatoes before adding them to the turkey bolognese.
Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
While the sauce is simmering, prepare the pasta or zucchini noodles to serve with the sauce. To learn how I prepare my sautéed zucchini noodles, check out this Bruschetta Grilled Chicken Zoodle Bowl Recipe!
No matter what you decide to serve this sauce over, you’re going to love the delicious flavors that the Italian herbs and pureed roasted peppers add to the dish!
I ate some of the sauce for lunch with zucchini noodles, then reheated the sauce for dinner (this sauce makes great leftovers!) and served it over spaghetti noodles, topped with a little fresh parmesan cheese.
Loved both meals and seriously can’t wait to make this sauce over and over this year!
Roasted Red Pepper Turkey Bolognese
- spaghetti noodles, boiled
- zucchini noodles, sauteed
- Place the roasted red bell peppers in a blender or food processor and puree until creamy, set aside.
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, turkey, basil, oregano, parsley, black pepper and kosher salt.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes, or until the turkey is cooked through.
- Add the roasted red pepper puree, diced tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, prepare the pasta or zucchini noodles to serve with the sauce.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.