Three Cheese Basil Raviolis
This post may contain affiliate links.
Homemade pasta dough is made with basil pesto, then cut into raviolis and filled with a delicious filling in this Three Cheese Basil Ravioli recipe!
Inspired by the popularity of my Heart Shaped Cranberry Pomegranate Mini Pies for Valentine’s Day, I set out to make a “Shamrock Shaped” recipe for St Patrick’s Day.
It was only when I was elbow deep is green pasta dough that I realized my “101 Cookie Cutters Box” did not contain a shamrock! Say what?
There were 8 different sized hearts for Valentine’s Day, but not one measly little shamrock for us Irish folk?!
I was appalled, but already too deep into the recipe for a trip to the craft store to find a shamrock shaped cookie cutter, so I decided circular green raviolis would just have to do!
Luckily they came out very green, so to me they still screamed St Patty’s Day fun!
My, oh my, was that one delicious meal!
Ravioli Pasta Dough Ingredients
- 3 cups flour
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup basil pesto
Three Cheese Italian Herb Filling Ingredients
- 15 oz ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 2 tbsp fresh basil (chopped)
- 2 tbsp fresh italian parsley (chopped)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
Prepare the pasta by adding the flour to a large mixing bowl, then making a well in the middle and adding the eggs.
Combine well, then add the water and pesto until a solid ball forms that is not dry, yet not sticky. If dry, add additional water. If sticky, add additional flour.
While the basil pesto adds some green color to the dough, you can also add a couple dashes of green food coloring to add more “green” to the pasta!
Next, roll the pasta dough into thin sheets either by hand or with a pasta roller.
Prepare the filling by combining all of the ingredients in a small bowl.
Cut the ravioli dough with round pastry cutters or cookie cutters and place a large spoon of the filling onto half of the cut pasta rounds.
Place the other half of rounds onto the filled dough then press the edges together with your fingers until sealed shut.
Add the raviolis to a pot of boiling water and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the raviolis float to the top.
Add the Pistachio Basil Crusted Tilapia for a little protein!
I can’t wait to share this recipe with all of my friends who aren’t big on “Green Eggs and Ham” or “Corned Beef and Cabbage” for St Patty’s Day!
While my roommates love everything I make, they were particularly impressed with these raviolis!
There is just something about creamy ricotta cheese pouring out of fresh, homemade pasta that can not be beat!
Three Cheese Basil Raviolis
- Add the flour to a large mixing bowl, then make a well in the middle and add the eggs.
- Combine well, then add the water and pesto until a solid ball forms.
- Roll the pasta dough into thin sheets either by hand or with a pasta roller.
- Prepare the filling by combining all of the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Cut the ravioli dough with round pastry cutters and place a large spoon of the filling onto half of the cut pasta rounds.
- Place the other half of rounds onto the filled dough, then press the edges together with your fingers until sealed shut.
- Add the raviolis to a pot of boiling water and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the raviolis float to the top.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.