Cuban Sandwich Pinwheels
This post may contain affiliate links.
A traditional Cuban Sandwich is wrapped up in tortillas and turned into a fun appetizer in this easy recipe twist on ham and cheese pinwheels!
Today’s post is sponsored by my friends at Farmer John.
Did you grow up eating pinwheels? Or did you call them roll ups? Either way, they’re perfect to pack for a picnic or lunch at the beach.
They’re also an easy appetizer to serve at a backyard BBQ. For these pinwheels, I took the classic Cuban sandwich and turned it into the perfect party appetizer!
A Cuban sandwich consists of ham, pickles, swiss cheese and mustard. For this pinwheel recipe, I used flavorful Farmer John Classic Cooked Ham, thinly sliced swiss cheese, yellow mustard and dill pickle chips.
It’s a seriously delicious spin on pinwheels that the entire family will love!
How to Make Cuban Sandwich Pinwheels
- Start with a large flour tortilla. I like to use spinach tortillas, but any “burrito size” tortilla will work.
- Spread mustard across the tortilla. The traditional cuban sandwich is made with yellow mustard. You can use a dijon mustard or whole grain mustard to switch it up, if you’d like!
- Lay two slices of Farmer John Classic Cooked Ham on top of the mustard. Lay two more slices on top of those for four total slices of ham.
- Top the ham with three slices of swiss cheese, slightly overlapping in the middle. Regular swiss or baby swiss cheese can be used in this recipe. You can ask for it thinly sliced from the deli counter or pick it up in a package.
- Add pickle chips on top of the swiss cheese. Dill pickles are what’s traditionally used in cuban sandwiches. Bread & butter or sweet pickles can be used instead, if you prefer.
- Roll the tortilla up tightly over the ingredients. Make sure you don’t push the ingredients off of the tortilla while rolling it up.
- Slice the wrap into 8 pinwheels. Discard any extra tortilla on the ends.
Can pinwheels be made ahead of time?
Yes, pinwheels can be made up to 24 hours in advance. Anymore than 24 hours and the wrap will become soggy. If storing in the refrigerator before serving, do not slice the pinwheels.
Keep the wrap whole and wrap it tightly with plastic wrap. Place it in the refrigerator. When ready to serve, remove the plastic wrap and slice into pinwheels.
Making pinwheels ahead of time is perfect when you’re hosting a party. This delicious finger food is great for game days or BBQs! Simply make it the night before and it’s ready to go for party time!
Can you cook pinwheels?
These pinwheels are meant to be served cold, but can also be served warm. To serve the pinwheels warm, either heat them on the stove, in a panini press, or on the grill.
Do not slice the pinwheels before heating them. Instead, keep the wrap whole. Place it in a panini press for 4-5 minutes. To cook it on the stove, place the wrap in a skillet over medium heat and cook for 2-3 minutes per side.
To grill the wrap, place it directly on a grill or grill pan and cook for 2-3 minutes per side. Remove from the panini press, skillet or grill and slice into pinwheels.
I’ve made this recipe as a wrap for lunch in the panini press and it’s SO delicious!
How to make Gluten Free Pinwheels
Gluten free or corn tortillas can be used to make this pinwheel recipe gluten free. Because gluten free tortillas are less pliable than flour tortillas, you’ll need to heat them first before preparing the pinwheels. I recommend heating them in the microwave, wrapped in a damp paper towel, for 20-30 seconds.
Gluten free or corn tortillas are hard to find in “burrito size” so you can use smaller tortillas. Simply use four tortillas instead of two. Divide the ingredients between the four smaller tortillas, then slice each one into four pinwheel rolls.
How many calories are in a pinwheel sandwich?
Each piece of a pinwheel roll is 86 calories.
Looking for more deliciously easy snack recipes? Try these 5 favorites! And visit FarmerJohn.com for even more recipe inspiration!
- Taco Croissants – taco seasoned ground beef & cheddar cheese fill these delicious croissants. BONUS! They’re easy to make in under 30 minutes!
- Buffalo Pickle Chips – for all the pickle lovers out there, this is a must-try recipe! You’re going to love dipping these crispy pickle chips into creamy ranch dressing!
- Spinach Artichoke Hummus – two popular dips are combined in this healthy, vegan recipe! Serve the hummus with veggies for dipping to make it even healthier and gluten free!
- Cheesy Veggie Pizza Rolls – filled with three cheeses, roasted red pepper, spinach & herbs, these pizza rolls are packed with flavor!
- Buffalo Cheesy Garlic Knots – garlic knots are the perfect party food! They’re easy to make and everyone loves them!
Pick up Farmer John Ham at stores like Smart & Final, Albertsons, Ralphs or Vons to make these delicious pinwheels at home.
Made them and loved them? Be sure to rate the recipe 5 stars in the recipe card below!
Cuban Sandwich Pinwheels
- 2 large tortillas, look for "burrito size" tortillas at the grocery store
- 4 tbsp yellow mustard
- 8 slices Farmer John Classic Cooked Ham
- 6 slices swiss cheese
- ½ cup sliced pickle chips
- Spread 2 tbsp mustard on each tortilla.
- Top each tortilla with 4 slices of ham, 3 slices of swiss cheese and ¼ cup pickle chips.
- Roll up tightly and slice into ½ inch pieces.
- To make these pinwheels gluten free, use gluten free or corn tortillas. Heat the tortillas in the microwave for 20-30 seconds before preparing the pinwheels. Since gluten free tortillas are smaller, you'll want to use four tortillas, instead of two and divide the other ingredients between the four tortillas.
- Pinwheels can be made up to 24 hours in advance. Do not slice the pinwheels before placing them in the refrigerator. Instead keep the wrap whole and tightly wrap it in plastic wrap before placing it in the refrigerator. Remove the plastic wrap and slice the pinwheels before serving.
- These pinwheels can be served hot. Do not slice the wrap before cooking it. Place it whole in a panini press for 4-5 minutes or in a skillet on the stove for 2-3 minutes per side. Remove and serve sliced, halved or whole.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.