Buffalo Chicken Burgers
This post may contain affiliate links.
Buffalo chicken burgers are easy to make with a combination of ground chicken, buffalo sauce, spices & vegetables! Ditch the buns to make them healthy, gluten free, low carb & perfect for those on the keto diet!
Pair the burgers with Buffalo Potato Salad or Spicy Buffalo Macaroni Salad for a complete “Buffalo Style” meal!
Table of contents
I’ve been making these burgers since 2012 and I seriously never get tired of them! It’s such a fun spin on a traditional cheeseburger and full of flavor!
This burger encompasses everything you think of when you think buffalo wings. Chicken, carrots, celery sticks, buffalo sauce and blue cheese dressing for the win!
You can easily refrigerate or freeze extra burger patties for later. I actually like to double this recipe and make eight buffalo chicken burgers. I grill two immediately, refrigerate two for later in the week and freeze the extra four for later.
If you’re looking to cut down on carbs or go gluten free, serve the burgers wrapped in lettuce. By ditching the bun, you also ditch 22 carbs per serving! All the flavor really is in the burger anyway!
These buffalo chicken burgers are perfect for summer grilling season or football season. They’re also great for a quick and easy dinner anytime. Made in just 29 minutes, you can’t go wrong with this simple, tasty burger recipe!
- Ground chicken – this recipe can also be made with ground turkey to create buffalo turkey burgers.
- Celery – be sure to finely chop the celery so that it cooks into the burger.
- Carrots – you’ll also want finely shredded carrots so that they cook into the burger.
- Onion – I like to use a red onion in this recipe for it’s sharp flavor, but a yellow or white onion will also work.
- Garlic cloves – I always recommend fresh crushed cloves of garlic, for the best flavor.
- Egg + breadcrumbs – used as binders to hold the burger patties together.
- Buffalo sauce – I like to use Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Sauce, but feel free to use your favorite brand of buffalo sauce.
- Chili powder + paprika – to season the burger patties.
- In a large bowl, combine ground chicken, chopped celery, shredded carrots, chopped red onions and a crushed garlic clove. Add an egg, buffalo sauce, breadcrumbs, chili powder and paprika.
- Quick Tip! If you’re looking to make these burgers low carb, gluten free or keto, I recommend a low carb breadcrumb substitute. These spicy nut crumbs and pork panko are both great options.
- Once all of the ingredients are combined, form into four burger patties. If you feel like the mixture is too wet, simply add 1-2 tbsp bread crumbs.
- Place each chicken patty on the grill or on a skillet on the stove over medium heat. Grill for 8-10 minutes per side, or until the internal temperature of the burgers reaches 165°F.
- Serve the burgers on buns or lettuce wraps. If serving on buns, toast the buns on the grill or in the skillet before serving.
- Combine blue cheese dressing and buffalo sauce to create a sauce for the burgers.
- Quick Tip! Don’t like blue cheese? No worries, use ranch dressing instead!
- Top the burgers with the sauce, blue cheese crumbles and your choice of additional toppings. I like to mix it up with slices of tomato, lettuce, spinach, red bell pepper and diced green onions.
Storage and reheating tips
If using fresh ground chicken breast meat, the burgers will stay good in the fridge uncooked for 2-3 days. Once the burgers are cooked, they will stay good in the fridge for 5-6 days.
To reheat the burgers, wrap them in foil and place them in the oven at 400°F for 10-15 minutes. You can also reheat them on the stove in a skillet or in the microwave.
These burgers can also be frozen for up to 6 months. To defrost, place them in the refrigerator for 24 hours. After 24 hours, cook them on the stovetop or grill, as directed in the recipe.
Frequently asked questions
With traditional breadcrumbs, each burger patty is 14 carbs. Using spicy nut crumbs, each burger patty is 7 carbs and using pork panko, each burger patty is 4 carbs.
I love a handful of blue cheese crumbles on top of this buffalo chicken burger. If blue cheese isn’t your thing, pepper jack cheese or cheddar cheese melted on top is also a good call!
As someone that’s been called “The Queen of Buffalo Sauce”, I’ve tried my fair share of buffalo sauces over the years. I can still say that my go-to buffalo sauce is Frank’s Red Hot.
I may or may not order it by the gallon on Amazon! What can I say, with over 65 recipes with buffalo sauce on the blog, I need to keep my refrigerator stocked!
More recipes with buffalo sauce
Keep the buffalo style party going with these delicious recipes with buffalo sauce!
- Buffalo Queso Dip – might I be tempted to pour these over these burgers? Yes, I might!
- Buffalo Chicken Potato Skins – buffalo chicken burgers paired with these potato skins = a match made in game day heaven!
- Buffalo Cheddar Biscuits – can you imagine a world where you serve buffalo chicken burgers on buffalo cheddar biscuits? I sure can and I want to live in that world, like right now!
- Buffalo Zucchini Chips – ditch tortilla chips for these seriously addicting crispy zucchini chips!
Made this recipe and loved it? Be sure to rate it 5 stars in the recipe card below!
Buffalo Chicken Burgers
- 1 pound ground chicken
- ¼ cup celery, finely chopped
- ¼ cup carrots, peeled and shredded
- ½ cup red onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup buffalo sauce
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 6 hamburger buns
- ¼ cup blue cheese crumbles
Buffalo Blue Cheese Sauce
- ¼ cup buffalo sauce
- ¼ cup blue cheese dressing
- tomatoes, sliced
- baby spinach
- red bell peppers, sliced
- green onions, diced
- Combine the ground chicken, celery, carrots, red onion and garlic in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the egg, ¼ cup buffalo sauce, breadcrumbs, chili powder and paprika.
- Form into 4 patties.
- Place on the grill over medium heat for 8-10 minutes per side, or until the internal temperature of the burger reaches 165°F.
- While the burgers are on the grill combine the additional ¼ cup buffalo sauce with ¼ cup blue cheese dressing to make the sauce.
- Toast the buns, then spread the sauce onto each side of the bun.
- Remove the burgers from the grill and place onto the bun.
- Top with the blue cheese crumbles and any desired additional toppings.
- To make these burgers low carb, gluten free or keto, use a low carb breadcrumb substitute. These spicy nut crumbs and pork panko are both great options.
- Uncooked, these burger patties will stay good in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
- Cooked, these burger patties will stay good in the refrigerator for 5-6 days.
- You can also freeze the burgers for up to 6 months.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
19 Comments on “Buffalo Chicken Burgers”
Made this with ground turkey since my local grocery store was out of a lot things, including ground chicken. It turned out delicious! Thank you .
Wonderful! So glad you enjoyed it!
Hi. This is by far the best buffalo chicken recipe ever! Moist & delicious. I will definitely make this again!
Wonderful Karen, so happy to hear that!
Liked the taste. Personally hate ground chicken. Very familiar with cooking ,grilling. not ready for the ground turkey/ chicken lifestyle . But I did like all the things in the recipe. Wil stick with whole chicken breast and my personal fav. ,thighs.
can you make this with beef also?
Hi Candice, I haven’t personally tried it, but I’m sure it would be great!
I made these and they were delicious! The only problem I had was that the patties didn’t hold their shape. I’ll definitely make them again!!!!!!!!!
Hi Julie, so glad you loved them! I’m sorry that the patties didn’t hold their shape for you! Maybe next time, try adding just a little more breadcrumbs to make everything stick together 🙂
These look amazing! I have never seen gluten-free breadcrumbs in Australia so do you think I could use almond meal instead?
Hi Brooke, Thanks for reading LLB 🙂 I have not tried almond meal, but do you all have rice chex cereal in Australia? If you crush that into a fine crumb mixture, that works great as a gluten-free breadcrumb substitute!
This is such a fabulous idea, and I love the use of carrots in the burger itself. Definitely a must try. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you so much Justine! Hope you enjoy them as much as I do 🙂
This looks absolutely amazing and I will be trying it very soon. I too LOVE buffalo sauce. Thanks for the delicious post. I found your beautiful site today and will be back often.
Thank you so much Teresa! I always love meeting fellow Buffalo Sauce addicts 😉 So happy you found the site!!
These look incredibly delicious! I love how vibrant your photos are too!
Thank you Rosie!!!
I think I could tear through about three of those…looks great!
I almost ate two myself, super delicious, quick and easy!