Greek Chicken Salad Pita Sandwich
This post may contain affiliate links.
Get ready to fall in love with this flavorful Greek Chicken Salad! It has the perfect combination of textures and flavors. It’s delicious served as a pita sandwich or in lettuce wraps for a keto meal!
The zesty Greek salad dressing is made with greek yogurt, oregano and lemon juice. It’s light, fresh, creamy and the perfect compliment to this chicken salad.
I love a recipe that I can make ahead of time and eat for lunch throughout the week. This is definitely one of those recipes! I’ll meal prep a big batch of the chicken salad on Sunday, then wrap it up in pita bread throughout the week to eat for lunch.
If I’m looking for something lighter, I also love this Greek chicken salad in a lettuce wrap. The greek yogurt chicken salad dressing keeps the salad light, healthy and low in calories and carbs!
Table of contents
- Cooked chicken – you can use shredded chicken, roasted or grilled chicken for this recipe. I recommend either using chicken pulled from a rotisserie chicken, or cooking chicken breasts at home, then dicing them up for the salad.
- Note: if grilling or roasting the chicken at home, I recommend using this Greek Chicken Marinade. Once the chicken has marinated for 30 minutes, you can grill it over medium-high heat for 6-8 minutes per side, or roast it in a 425°F oven for 20 minutes.
- Olives – feel free to use kalamata olives or green olives for this recipe.
- Grape tomatoes – or cherry tomatoes will also work.
- Roasted bell peppers
- Greek yogurt – be sure to buy plain greek yogurt, with no flavors added.
- Garlic cloves
- Oregano – this recipe calls for dried oregano, but if you’d like to use fresh oregano, simply double the amount called for in the recipe. You can also add additional herbs if you’d like, dill or parsley would be welcome additions in this salad!
- Black pepper
- Lemons – you’ll use both the juice and zest from the lemon, so be sure to pick out a fresh, bright yellow lemon with no blemishes on the outside.
- Pita bread – I love to serve this Greek chicken salad as a pita sandwich. But you can eat it with a fork, on crackers or toast instead if you’d like.
- Feta cheese
Step by step instructions
- Combine the salad ingredients. In a large bowl, combine the cooked chicken with the olives, cucumber, tomatoes and roasted peppers.
- Prepare the salad dressing. Combine plain greek yogurt, crushed garlic cloves, oregano, black pepper, lemon zest and lemon juice in a small bowl.
- Toss the salad with the dressing. Pour the salad dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
- Finish with the feta cheese. Sprinkle the feta over the salad. Serve with a lemon wedge on the side for juicing over the salad.
If making the salad ahead of time, I recommend waiting to add the feta cheese until right before serving the salad. The salad can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Ways to serve the salad
This salad can be gobbled up with a fork or served a number of different ways. Serve it as a snack, appetizer, lunch or dinner. With all of these options, you can try each one and pick your favorite!
- In pita bread – this is my favorite way to serve the salad. I like to heat the pita bread in the microwave for 10-15 seconds, then fill it up with the salad and juice a little extra lemon juice into the sandwich.
- As a sandwich – for a more traditional chicken salad sandwich, you can serve the salad between two pieces of your favorite bread.
- On toast – I’ve been known to eat this salad for breakfast on a piece of toast and let me tell you, it’s delicious! Sprinkle a little everything bagel seasoning on top for extra flavor!
- On crackers – if you’re just looking for a quick snack, a spoonful of this chicken salad on your favorite cracker is delish!
- In lettuce wraps – for a keto meal, try serving the chicken salad in lettuce wraps. The chicken salad only contains 5 carbs per cup of salad, so when you serve it in lettuce wraps, it’s perfect for the keto diet!
- Stuffed in mini peppers – another idea for a yummy snack or party appetizer is to stuff the chicken salad into mini peppers. It’s light, healthy and so scrumptious!
More easy chicken recipes to try
Each of these recipes is made in 29 minutes or less, for a delicious meal in no time at all!
- Guacamole Stuffed Chicken
- Fuji Apple Chicken Salad
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Buffalo Chicken Burgers
- Thai Yellow Curry with Chicken
- Buffalo Chicken Wrap
- Gluten Free General Tso’s Chicken
Greek Chicken Salad Sandwich
- 2 cups cooked chicken breasts, shredded or diced
- ¼ cup olives, diced
- ¼ cup cucumber, diced
- ½ cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- ½ cup roasted bell peppers, chopped
- ½ cup greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 pieces pita bread
- ½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Combine the cooked chicken, olives, cucumbers, grape tomatoes and roasted bell peppers in a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix the greek yogurt, crushed garlic, oregano, black pepper, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Pour the dressing over the chicken salad.
- Toss until all of the ingredients are combined.
- Spoon the chicken salad onto a piece of pita bread or in a lettuce wrap, for a low carb option.
- Top with the feta cheese.
- Serve with a lemon wedge on the side for squeezing over the chicken salad sandwich.
- Low carb option: omit the pita bread and serve the chicken salad on lettuce leaves to make this recipe low carb. One cup of the chicken salad contains 5 grams of carbs.
- Cooking the chicken: if grilling or roasting the chicken at home, I recommend tossing one pound of boneless, skinless chicken breasts with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Once the chicken is seasoned you can grill it over medium-high heat for 6-8 minutes per side, or roast it in a 400°F oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Make ahead: if making the salad ahead of time, I recommend waiting to add the feta cheese until right before serving the salad. The salad can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.