Grilled Mahi Mahi Fish Tacos
This post may contain affiliate links.
This gluten free recipe for fish tacos is filled with cilantro lime jalapeño marinated & grilled mahi mahi, pico de gallo and fresh avocado!
Tomorrow kicks off Memorial Day weekend and if you want to find me, I’ll be the girl hanging out on my newly redecorate balcony with a glass of Lemon Berry Prosecco Sangria in one hand and one of these tasty tacos in the other hand!
For these fish tacos, I created a slightly spicy cilantro, lime, jalapeño marinade for the fish, then grilled it up and topped it with fresh pico de gallo and avocado.
The fish was so flavorful, it was hard not to eat it all before it actually made it’s way into a taco!
Table of contents
Ingredients you’ll need
- Olive oil
- Fresh lime juice
- Fresh lemon juice
- Chipotle chili powder
- Ground cumin
- Sea salt
- Garlic cloves
- Fresh cilantro
- Mahi mahi fish filet
- Corn tortillas
Taco topping ideas
- Shredded cabbage
- Pico de gallo – click the link for my easy homemade recipe!
- Hot sauce
Step by step instructions
Whisk the olive oil, lime juice, lemon juice, chipotle powder, cumin, salt, jalapeno, garlic and cilantro together in a small bowl.
Place the fish in a shallow dish and pour the marinade over the fish.
Place in the refrigerator to marinate for 15 minutes.
Preheat the grill to a medium temperature.
Remove the fish from the refrigerator and grill, skin side down, for 10-15 minutes.
Remove from the grill and let rest for 5 minutes. Use a fork to lightly pull the fish right off the skin.
Place the tortillas on the grill for 20 seconds. Fill the tortillas with the fish and top with the avocado, cabbage and pico de gallo.
I also drizzled a little sriracha on top, because, well, I love hot sauce!
Frequently asked questions
- What does mahi mahi taste like? Mahi mahi is a mild white fish. It’s somewhat sweet with a fairly firm texture. It’s firm texture makes it perfect for grilling, as it won’t fall apart on the grill.
- Is mahi mahi healthy? Mahi mahi is a great source of protein, vitamins and minerals. It’s also a low-calorie fish, making it a healthy option as part of a balanced diet.
- What can I substitute for mahi mahi? If you can’t find mahi mahi, you can also make this recipe with black cod, cod or sea bass.
- How do I know when mahi mahi is cooked through? The fish should turn an opaque color once it’s fully cooked. At that time, you can remove it from the grill.
What to serve with mahi mahi tacos
Mahi mahi fish tacos are delicious on their own, or you can simply serve them with chips and salsa. If you want to add another side dish, I recommend checking out these delicious Mexican-style sides!
- Grilled Pineapple Tomatillo Guacamole
- Cilantro Pesto Risotto
- Deconstructed Mexican Street Corn
- Mexican Rice
- Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
More recipes for the grill
Looking for more great recipes to grill on your balcony or patio? There are dozens to choose from on the new grilling page on WhitneyBond.com! And don’t miss these 5 fan favorites!
- Grilled Brussels Sprouts
- Chipotle Lime Carne Asada Tacos
- Thai Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce
- Chimichurri Grilled Salmon
- Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Salsa
Grilled Mahi Mahi Fish Tacos
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp chipotle chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 lb mahi mahi
- 8 small corn tortillas
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup pico de gallo
- Whisk the olive oil, lime juice, lemon juice, chipotle powder, cumin, salt, jalapeño, garlic and cilantro together in a small bowl.
- Place the fish in a shallow dish and pour the marinade over the fish.
- Place in the refrigerator to marinate for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the grill to a medium temperature.
- Remove the fish from the refrigerator and grill, skin side down, for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from the grill and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Use a fork to lightly pull the fish right off the skin.
- Place the tortillas on the grill for 20 seconds.
- Fill the tortillas with the fish and top with the avocado, cabbage and pico de gallo.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.