Instant Pot Fajitas with Steak & Veggies
This post may contain affiliate links.
In just 29 minutes, you can make the most delicious Instant Pot Fajitas with steak & veggies! This easy recipe is guaranteed to become a new family favorite!
Serve the fajitas in corn tortillas for a gluten free meal. Or serve them over Cauliflower Rice for a low carb meal, perfect for those on the keto diet!
Today’s post is sponsored by my friends at the California Beef Council.
Fajitas are a common weeknight meal around my house. Veggie Fajita Rice Bowls and Chicken Fajita Grilled Burritos make regular occurrences on our dinner table. But there’s nothing quite like a classic fajita recipe.
Steak + Veggies + Fajita Seasoning = an easy, delicious dinner!
Want the most tender, flavorful fajita meat ever? Make Instant Pot Fajitas! The Instant Pot is perfect for fajitas because you can sauté the veggies right in the same pot that you pressure cook the steak.
After testing this recipe several times, I found that I prefer to remove the veggies from the Instant Pot before pressure cooking the steak. This results in crisp veggies and deliciously tender meat. You still only need one pot for the recipe and it’s made in just 29 minutes. And yes, that includes the pressuring up and down of the electric pressure cooker!
There are several ways to serve the fajitas. They can be served the traditional way in flour tortillas with your choice of toppings. They can also be served in corn tortillas or over rice for a gluten free meal.
Want to make these Instant Pot fajitas low carb? Serve them over Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice, topped with sliced avocado. This keto fajita bowl is so delicious and perfect for meal-prep! Without tortillas, these steak fajitas are 8 carbs per serving.
Delicious, easy to make and able to be served in a variety of ways, these Instant Pot Fajitas are a winning recipe!
How to make Instant Pot Fajitas
- Season the steak. Thinly slice skirt steak and toss with fajita seasoning, then set aside.
- Sauté the veggies. Press the sauté button on the Instant Pot. Use the + and – buttons to adjust the heat setting to “normal”. Add olive oil to the Instant Pot.
- When hot, add sliced bell peppers and onions. Sauté for 5 minutes, then remove the veggies from the Instant Pot and set aside.
- Sear the steak. With the Instant Pot still on the sauté function, add the seasoned skirt steak and sear for 1 minute. Press the Keep Warm/Cancel button.
- Pressure cook the steak. Add lime juice and beef broth to the Instant Pot. If you don’t have beef broth, water or chicken broth can be used in its place. Lock lid on the Instant Pot and make sure the steam release valve on the top is set to “sealing”.
- Press the manual button on the Instant Pot and adjust to high pressure. Use the + and – buttons to set the cooking time to 5 minutes. Allow the Instant Pot to pressure up and cook for 5 minutes. Once the Instant Pot beeps 3 times, allow it to pressure down for 5 minutes.
- Use the “quick release method” to release the pressure in the Instant Pot. To quickly release pressure, move the steam release valve from “sealing” to “venting”. Be careful while doing this, as steam will begin to release from the valve and could burn you. I use a long spoon or spatula to move the release valve.
- Finish the dish. Remove the lid from the Instant Pot and add the sautéed veggies back to the pot. Toss everything together and serve immediately, or place the lid back on the Instant Pot to keep the fajitas warm until ready to serve.
- Quick Tip! There will be some liquid in the pot after the fajitas have pressure cooked. That’s totally normal. Simply use a slotted spoon or tongs to remove the fajitas from the Instant Pot.
What cut of beef is best for fajitas?
Skirt steak is the preferred cut of beef for fajitas, but flank steak can also be used in its place.
What to serve with Steak Fajitas
Guacamole, sour cream and pico de gallo are great toppings for steak fajitas. Rice, corn and salads are perfect for serving on the side. Here are a few of my favorite side dishes to serve with these Instant Pot Fajitas!
- Mexican Rice – this is one of my families favorite recipes. It tastes just like the rice from Mexican restaurants and it’s so easy to make!
- Deconstructed Mexican Street Corn – all the goodness of street corn, in an easy to eat bowl!
- Mexican Quinoa Salad – for a healthy side to go with these delicious fajitas, try this protein packed quinoa salad!
- Mexican Potatoes – this fun twist on mashed potatoes is cheesy, flavorful & easy to whip up while the steak fajitas cook in the Instant Pot!
Want to watch me make these Instant Pot Steak Fajitas live? Join me on Facebook Live, Tuesday June 11, 2019 at 2 PM (PST) for a live cooking demo with my friend Marcus from the Feed Me! Podcast.
Be sure to also catch up on the first season of the Feed Me! Podcast before the second season launches on June 24, 2019. I was a featured guest on FIVE episodes last season. We talked tacos, one pot recipes, lunch hacks and more! I can’t wait to see what they have in store for season two!
Made these Instant Pot Fajitas and loved them? Be sure to rate them 5 stars in the recipe card below! ↓
Instant Pot Steak Fajitas
- 1 ½ lb skirt steak, sliced against the grain into strips
- 2 tbsp fajita seasoning
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- ¼ cup lime juice, fresh squeezed
- ¼ cup beef broth
- 8 flour tortillas
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 2 cups cilantro lime cauliflower rice
- avocado, thinly sliced
- sour cream
- hot sauce
- pico de gallo
- Toss the steak with the fajita seasoning and set aside.
- Turn the sauté function on the Instant Pot. Use the + and - buttons to adjust the heat setting to "normal".
- Add the olive oil to the Instant Pot.
- When hot, add the bell peppers and onions, sauté for 5 minutes.
- Remove the peppers and onions from the Instant Pot and set aside.
- With the Instant Pot still on the sauté function, add the steak and sear for 1 minute.
- Press the keep warm/cancel button on the Instant Pot.
- Add the lime juice and beef broth to the Instant Pot.
- Press the manual button on the Instant Pot and set the pressure to high and the cook time to 5 minutes. Make sure the release valve on top is set to "sealing".
- The Instant pot will take a few minutes to pressure up, then the 5 minute cooking time will begin.
- After the cooking time has ended, wait 5 minutes then use the quick release method to release any remaining pressure.
- To do this, move the steam release valve from "sealing" to "venting".
- Once the pressure has been released, remove the lid and add the peppers and onions back to the Instant Pot with the steak.
- Serve the steak fajitas in flour or corn tortillas, or over rice or cauliflower rice with your choice of toppings.
- The nutritional information provided does not include serving options or optional toppings.
- To make this recipe gluten free, serve in corn tortillas or over traditional rice or cilantro lime cauliflower rice.
- This recipe is 8 carbs per serving without the serving options. Serve over cauliflower rice for an added 2.5 carbs per 1/2 cup of cauliflower rice.
- If skirt steak cannot be found, flank steak can be used in its place.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.