Kick up your meatball recipe game with Mozzarella Stuffed Meatball Wellington, juicy meatballs filled with cheese, wrapped in puff pastry & baked!
You know the old saying “two heads are better than one”? Well, nowadays, I’d really have to agree with that!
Ever since I started dating my boyfriend Kurt, he’s given me some great recipe ideas, including this one for Meatball Wellington. And this might just be his best one yet!
Juicy, flavorful Italian sausage meatballs, filled with fresh, gooey mozzarella cheese, all wrapped up in buttery, flakey puff pastry dough, it really doesn’t get much better!
Since he introduced me to the idea, I’ve already made them three times and now I’m so excited to share the recipe on the blog!
These delicious Meatball Wellington’s can be served as an impressive dinner appetizer or party hors d’oeuvre. They can also be served as a serious game changer when it comes to the standard spaghetti & meatball recipe!
If serving these as an appetizer, I’d recommend some marinara sauce on the side for dipping.
As an entree, they’re perfect with spaghetti tossed in marinara sauce!
Check out other recipes “inspired by Kurt” including Slow Cooker Italian Meatballs & Marinara, Three Cheese Manicotti with Italian Sausage Marinara and Slow Cooker Swedish Meatballs. Are you seeing a theme here too?!
Be the first to know when scrumptious new recipes are posted! Sign up for delicious e-mail deliveries below!
Mozzarella Stuffed Meatball Wellington
- 3 tbsp olive oil divided
- ½ cup onions diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb Italian Sausage
- 1 large egg yolk & white divided
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh Italian parsley chopped
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella balls
- 1 sheet puff pastry dough
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil to a medium skillet, cook the diced onions 3-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cook for an additional minute.
- Add the Italian sausage to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the cooked onion & garlic, egg yolk, breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, basil, parsley, oregano, salt and black pepper.
- Mix together.
- Form into 9 large meatballs, filling each with one mozzarella ball.
- Add the remaining 2 tbsp olive oil to a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the meatballs and sear for 2-3 minutes per side.
- Remove from the heat and pat each meatball with a paper towel to remove the grease.
- On a large sheet of parchment paper sprinkled with flour, use a rolling pin to roll the sheet of puff pastry into a thin layer.
- Slice the puff pastry in thirds in both directions forming 9 squares.
- Wrap each meatball in a square of puff pastry, tucking the puff pastry under the meatball.
Place the meatballs on a baking sheet and brush with the egg white.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.