Butternut Squash Tacos
This post may contain affiliate links.
Butternut Squash Tacos are made with sautéed butternut squash, crispy onion strings and a creamy avocado sauce for a delicious, healthy and vegan recipe made in just 20 minutes!
When it comes to tacos, I have plenty of recipes to go around! If you’re looking for vegan tacos, I’ve got those too!
Veggie Tacos with Chimichurri, Buffalo Cauliflower Tacos and Butternut Squash Tacos are all perfect examples of how you can ditch the meat, but keep the tacos!
How to Make Butternut Squash Tacos
Saute peeled & cubed butternut squash in a mix of ground cumin, chili powder and nutmeg. Pile the cooked butternut squash into warm tortillas, then top with crispy onion strings and creamy avocado sauce.
How to Prepare Butternut Squash
Cut off the top and bottom ends of the squash, then use a Y-shaped vegetable peeler to safely and easily peel the butternut squash.
Cut the butternut squash in half lengthwise and use a spoon to scoop out any seeds.
Dice the butternut squash using a sharp chefs knife.
Can butternut squash be frozen?
Yes, you can peel and cube butternut squash, then store in freezer-safe plastic bags for 6-12 months, or until ready to use.
I like to store butternut squash in the freezer to use in recipes when it’s not in season, during the spring and summer months.
What are the benefits of butternut squash?
Butternut squash is a great source of Vitamin A, potassium and fiber.
This recipe for butternut squash tacos contains 150% daily value of Vitamin A, 315 mg potassium and 2 grams of fiber per taco.
Craving more butternut squash goodness? Check out these 5 vegetarian recipes!
- Roasted Butternut Squash Apple Bruschetta
- Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese
- Chai Spiced Butternut Squash Soup
- Butternut Squash Risotto
- Roasted Butternut Squash Spinach Kale Salad
Don’t forget to pin these Butternut Squash Tacos for later and when you make them, be sure to share a pic on Instagram and tag me @WhitneyBond or use the hashtag #WBRecipes!
Butternut Squash Tacos
- 4 cups butternut squash, peeled & diced
- 4 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 8 small tortillas, flour or corn
- 1 cup crispy onion strings
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp avocado cream sauce, click link for recipe
- Add 2 tbsp olive oil to a large skillet on the stove over medium heat.
- When warm, add the diced butternut squash.
- Sauté for 2-3 minutes, then add the cumin, nutmeg and chili powder.
- Sauté for another 2-3 minutes, then add the additional 2 tbsp. of olive oil.
- Continue to sauté over medium heat until the squash is fork-tender, about 10 minutes.
- Pile the squash into warmed tortillas, top each taco with crispy onion strings, fresh cilantro and avocado cream sauce.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
4 Comments on “Butternut Squash Tacos”
Weird, seems to be working now. Thanks!
Yum! This looks delish! I’ve made them with sweet potatoes but never thought to use butternut squash. Going to make these for a taco tuesday for sure.
I had a problem saving the recipe though…it said “URL not found.” I have a ziplist account but it wouldn’t work for me.
Thanks Nicole! I’m not sure what happened on ZipList, I just tried it and it saved the recipe ok for me. Maybe try again!