Coffee Rubbed BBQ Steak Sandwich
This post may contain affiliate links.
Thin slices of coffee rubbed, grilled steak are piled up with herbed goat cheese, BBQ sauce & grilled onions in this mouth-watering steak sandwich recipe!
BBQ sauce, coffee and steak, these are a few of my favorite things, combine them together in an epic steak sandwich and BOOM, mind blown!
For today’s recipe I’ve partnered up with my friends at King’s Hawaiian to create the most epic of steak sandwiches featuring their Kona Coffee BBQ Sauce, and served on their Mini Sub Rolls.
I rubbed the steak down with my famous coffee steak rub to pair with the Kona Coffee BBQ Sauce. I then tried several different toppings to complete the sandwich and found the perfect pairing in herbed goat cheese, grilled onions and crispy onions. Double the onions, double the fun!
The combination of flavors and textures is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G and what truly makes this the ultimate steak sandwich!
- Coffee steak rub – click the link for this amazing homemade rub!
- Olive oil
- Flank steak or top sirloin – either cut of steak will work for this recipe.
- Red onion
- Coffee bbq sauce – King’s Hawaiian no longer sells the Kona Coffee BBQ Sauce, but you can find this alternative coffee bbq sauce on Amazon, or simply use your favorite type of bbq sauce.
- King’s Hawaiian mini sub rolls
- Garlic herb goat cheese
- Crispy fried onions
Brush 1 tablespoon olive oil all over the steak, then rub it with the coffee steak rub.
Heat a grill to medium-high heat. Rub the onions with the remaining tablespoon olive oil, then grill for 2-3 minutes per side.
At the same time, add the steak to the grill for 4-6 minutes per side.
Remove the steak from the grill and place it on a cutting board. Immediately brush the steak with ¼ cup of the coffee BBQ sauce.
Let the steak rest for 10 minutes, then thinly slice with a sharp knife. I highly recommend an electric knife. It’s one of my favorite kitchen gadgets that’s under $20!
Before turning the heat off on the grill, place the sub rolls on the grill inside face down for 2-3 minutes to toast. Remove from the grill and spread the garlic herb goat cheese on the bottom of each roll.
Place the sliced steak on top of the goat cheese.
Drizzle the additional BBQ sauce on top of the steak, then top with the grilled and crispy onions.
Place the top bun on the steak sandwich and dig in!
Whose mouth is watering?!
I love the coffee rub paired with the coffee BBQ sauce, it gives a unique flavor to this steak sandwich that I know you’re going to love!
Coffee Rubbed BBQ Steak Sandwich
- Brush 1 tablespoon of olive oil all over the flank steak, then rub on all sides with the coffee rub.
- Heat a grill to medium-high heat.
- Rub the onions, sliced into rings, with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil on all sides, then place them on the grill for 2-3 minutes per side.
- At the same time, add the steak to the grill for 4-6 minutes per side.
- Remove the steak from the grill and place on a cutting board, immediately brush the steak with ¼ cup of the coffee BBQ sauce.
- Let the steak rest for 10 minutes, then thinly slice the steak.
- Before turning the heat off on the grill, place the sub rolls on the grill inside face down for 2-3 minutes to toast.
- Remove from the grill and spread the garlic herb goat cheese on the bottom of each roll.
- Place the sliced steak on top of the goat cheese.
- Drizzle the additional BBQ sauce on top of the steak, then top with the grilled and crispy onions.
- Place the top bun on the steak sandwich and dig in!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.