Caprese Grilled Chicken Sandwich
This post may contain affiliate links.
Chicken breasts are tossed in a basil pesto marinade, then grilled to perfection and topped with grilled tomatoes and fresh mozzarella cheese in this easy, healthy & totally delicious grilled chicken sandwich recipe!
Chicken is one of my favorite things to toss on the grill! From chicken skewers, like these popular Chipotle Lime Chicken Fajita Skewers, to meatballs, like these Caribbean Jerk Chicken Meatballs. There’s also the option of marinating chicken breasts and tossing them right on the grill, which is what I did in this recipe!
The marinade for this recipe is basil pesto. It’s easy to make my homemade version or just pick up a jar at the store. If you’re buying store-bought, I highly recommend looking in the refrigerator near the deli section of the grocery store.
You can usually find fresh, refrigerated pesto in this section that’s much better than the stuff in jars near the pasta sauce. Some grocery stores even make their own pesto fresh daily!
After tossing the chicken in the pesto, simply grill it up, then top it with grilled tomatoes and fresh mozzarella cheese. Place it on a bun with more pesto and fresh basil leaves and you’ve got a seriously delicious grilled chicken sandwich in just about 30 minutes!
How to make a Grilled Chicken Sandwich
- Marinate the chicken. Toss four boneless, skinless chicken breasts with 1/2 cup of basil pesto in a medium bowl or plastic bag. Each chicken breast should be approximately 1/2 pound. If the chicken breasts are larger and almost 1 pound each, simply butterfly two chicken breasts, then toss them with the pesto. Allow to marinate for 10 minutes while you heat the grill. If you want, you can also toss the chicken breasts with the pesto earlier and let it marinate for up to 8 hours.
- Grill the chicken. Heat a grill over medium heat, approximately 400°F. Place the chicken on the grill. Grill for 10 minutes per side or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F. I also like to use this indoor grill to make grilled chicken. Since it cooks both sides at the same time, it cooks in half the time and will notify you when the chicken is cooked through to a safe temperature.
- Quick Tip! If using an outdoor grill, I like to grill the chicken on a piece of foil for easy clean-up. You still get the beautiful grill marks without the mess!
- Grill the tomatoes. Cut two tomatoes into 8 slices. Place the sliced tomatoes on the grill next to the chicken and grill for 2 minutes per side.
- Top the grilled chicken. Place two grilled tomatoes on top of each piece of grilled chicken. Place a slice of fresh mozzarella cheese on top of each tomato slice. Allow the cheese to melt over the sandwich for 3-4 minutes.
- Assemble the sandwich. Add the hamburger buns to the grill for 1-2 minutes. Remove everything from the grill. Place the caprese grilled chicken breasts on the bottom buns. Add two fresh basil leaves on top of the cheese on each sandwich. Spread basil pesto on each of the top buns then place them on top of the sandwiches.
Is a grilled chicken sandwich healthy?
This grilled chicken sandwich contains healthy fats from the olive oil in the pesto. It’s also packed with protein. Each sandwich contains a whopping 68 grams of protein! It’s also high in potassium, at 1079 mg per serving and high in calcium at 48% of your daily needs from one serving.
What goes good with a chicken sandwich?
- Easy Roasted Garlic Parmesan Broccolini – this healthy side dish is easy to roast in the oven or on the grill, right alongside these grilled chicken sandwiches!
- Quinoa Caprese Salad – keep with the caprese theme and serve this sandwich right alongside my favorite quinoa salad!
- Tomato Basil Bruschetta – a light and delicious side dish that’s easy enough to toss together while the chicken is on the grill!
- Spicy Macaroni Salad – spice things up with this unique macaroni salad made with a creamy buffalo sauce dressing!
- Crispy Rosemary Parmesan Sweet Potato Fries – fries + sandwiches = a match made in heaven and these Rosemary Parmesan Sweet Potato Fries are absolutely heavenly!
- Watermelon Salad – this salad is the perfect refreshing side dish to pair with this grilled chicken sandwich on a warm summer day!
For more delicious chicken sandwich ideas, check out these recipes!
- Buffalo Chicken Burger
- Cherry Tarragon Chicken Salad Sandwich
- BLT Chipotle Chicken Sandwich
- Spicy Chicken Panini
- BBQ Chicken Salad Sliders
Caprese Grilled Chicken Sandwich
- 4 chicken breasts, app 1/2 lb each
- 1 cup basil pesto, divided – click link for homemade recipe
- 8 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- 2 tomatoes, cut into 8 slices
- 4 hamburger buns
- 8 large fresh basil leaves
- Toss the chicken breasts in ½ cup basil pesto in a medium bowl or plastic bag. Allow to marinate for at least 10 minutes, or up to 8 hours.
- Heat a grill to medium, approximately 400°F.
- Place the chicken on the grill.
- Grill the chicken for 10-12 minutes per side.
- Place the tomatoes and hamburger buns on the grill.
- Grill the tomatoes for 2 minutes per side, then place 2 slices of tomato on top of each chicken breast.
- Add two slices of cheese on top of the tomatoes on each chicken breast and allow to melt over the chicken.
- Once the cheese is melted, about 3-4 minutes later, remove everything from the grill.
- Place the chicken breasts on the bottom buns, place two fresh basil leaves on top of the cheese on each sandwich.
- Spread the remaining ½ cup basil pesto across the top hamburger buns, sandwich together and dig in!
- If the chicken breasts are large (almost 1 lb each) butterfly the chicken breasts before tossing them in the pesto.
- I recommend grilling the chicken on a piece of foil for easy clean-up.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.