Watermelon Salad with Feta and Mint
This post may contain affiliate links.
Whip up THE BEST Watermelon Salad in just 10 minutes! It’s perfect as a side dish with BBQ chicken, grilled steaks or veggie burgers!
This watermelon salad recipe is tossed with feta cheese, mint, tomatoes and balsamic vinegar for a flavorful salad that everyone will love at your next BBQ or summer dinner!
It’s been almost a decade since I first introduced my family to this Watermelon Salad recipe. We were hosting a BBQ at my parents house in Oklahoma, back in 2012 and I wanted something light, fresh and summery to go with our Smoked Brisket and Dad’s Famous BBQ Baked Beans.
This salad was perfect for the occasion! It’s both refreshing and flavorful, and bonus, it’s SO EASY to make in 10 minutes! For someone that throws a lot of BBQ’s, I can tell you that keeping the sides simple will allow you to enjoy the BBQ without spending all day in the kitchen!
Juicy sweet watermelon, paired with salty feta cheese and fresh mint leaves, this flavor combination is a match made is summer side dish heaven!
How to make Watermelon Salad
- Dice the watermelon. Dice half of a large, seedless watermelon into large cubes, about 1 inch in size. Or use a melon baller to scoop the watermelon out into pretty round balls for a fancier salad.
- Slice the tomatoes. Slice two cups of grape tomatoes in half. You can also use cherry tomatoes for this recipe. The only difference is that cherry tomatoes are slightly larger than grape tomatoes.
- Toss the salad together. In a large bowl, toss the diced watermelon and sliced tomatoes with fresh chopped mint leaves, thinly sliced red onions, balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
- Top with feta cheese. Top the salad with crumbled feta cheese right before serving.
Watermelon Salad Make Ahead Tips
- Wait to dress the salad. If you’re making the salad more than an hour before serving it, I recommend waiting to toss the salad with the balsamic vinegar and olive oil until right before you serve the salad. This will help the watermelon and tomatoes keep their juicy, delicious texture!
- Wait to add the feta cheese. I also recommend waiting to add the feta cheese crumbles until right before serving the salad.
Can I make the salad without oil?
Yes! The juiciness of the tomatoes and watermelon means that the dressing on this salad is not 100% necessary. While I do love the flavor it gives this salad, you can leave out the olive oil and you’ll still have a totally delicious and refreshing salad!
Optional Watermelon Salad Additions
Over the years, I’ve made this watermelon feta salad half a dozen different ways. I’ve added some of my other favorite fruits, veggies and herbs to switch things up a bit! Which addition will you try? Comment below and let me know!
- Cucumber – watermelon and cucumber go together like peanut butter and jelly! For an additional crisp, refreshing crunch, try adding one cup of diced cucumber to this salad, or replace the tomatoes with two cups of diced cucumber.
- Jalapeno Pepper – give the salad a little kick of spice by adding a minced jalapeno to the salad.
- Arugula – fresh, peppery arugula makes a wonderful addition to this salad! Add one cup of arugula for a beautiful burst of color and flavor!
- Avocado – as the avocado-obsessed girl I am, I love adding creamy avocado to this salad. I recommend adding one large diced avocado to the salad with the feta cheese.
- Fresh Basil – switch up the herbs and use fresh basil instead of mint, or add them both! I love the combo of basil and mint, and use it regularly in this salad. Just add two tablespoons fresh chopped basil and two tablespoons fresh chopped mint for a herbaceous salad!
- Blueberries – making this salad for 4th of July? Add one cup of fresh blueberries for a patriotic, red, white and blue salad!
- Goat Cheese – while watermelon and feta cheese are a match made in heaven, if you’re wondering “what other kind of cheese goes with watermelon?” then you should try goat cheese! Creamy goat cheese paired with fresh, juicy watermelon is totally delicious!
What does watermelon salad go with?
This delicious summer salad pairs well with anything you toss on the grill or smoker! Try it with these popular BBQ dishes!
- Smoked Brisket – my families famous recipe, passed down from three generations of Bond’s!
- Grilled Steak Kabobs
- Smoked Turkey Breast – not just for Thanksgiving! This incredibly tender & juicy smoked turkey breast is delicious and easy to make on the smoker year-round!
- Grilled Chicken Sandwich
- Buffalo Chicken Burgers
Want more watermelon in your life? Try these 5 refreshing watermelon recipes!
- Watermelon Salsa – fan favorite!!
- Watermelon Margarita
- Strawberry Watermelon Wine Slushies
- Watermelon Jalapeno Mojito
- Sparkling Grapefruit Watermelon Sangria
Watermelon Salad with Feta and Mint
- 4 cups watermelon, cubed
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- ¼ cup fresh mint, chopped
- ½ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Add the watermelon, tomatoes, mint and onion to a large bowl.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and olive oil, toss to coat.
- Top with the feta cheese and serve.
- Omit the feta cheese to make this recipe vegan.
- This recipe is naturally gluten free.
- If making ahead of time, wait to add the balsamic vinegar, olive oil and feta cheese, until right before serving.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.