Grilled Scallops with Jalapeno Lemon Butter Sauce
This post may contain affiliate links.
There’s nothing quite like the taste of a perfectly cooked scallop. It simply melts in your mouth! Grilled scallops are a quick and easy way to prepare the perfect scallop every time! Serve the scallops with a delicious lemon garlic butter sauce and arugula corn salad for a fresh & flavorful meal.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Vons. All opinions are 100% mine.
Table of contents
Scallops are my all-time favorite seafood. When cooked properly, they simply melt in your mouth. Today I’m going to share how to make them perfectly on the grill. These grilled scallops are tender, juicy, buttery and so flavorful!
I purchased Open Nature® North Atlantic Colossal Sea Scallops at my local Vons to create this recipe. They’re restaurant-quality and perfect for tossing on the grill! I love Open Nature products, because they’re free from 110 food additives like nitrates, benzoates, artificial flavors and preservatives.
In addition to the scallops, I used several O Organics® products in this recipe, including O Organics extra virgin olive oil, sweet cream butter, lemon & olive oil dressing, corn on the cob, whole peeled garlic, parmesan cheese, canola oil cooking spray and baby spinach and arugula. All O Organics products are USDA certified organic, high quality and affordable.
Open Nature and O Organics products are exclusively sold at Vons stores in my area and at the Albertsons Companies family of stores across the country. These include ACME Markets, Jewel-Osco, Randalls, Safeway, Shaw’s Supermarket, Star Market, Tom Thumb and Pavilions. Click here to find a store near you.
This recipe includes three parts, with each part utilizing the almighty grill! The three parts include: grilled scallops, grilled jalapeno lemon butter and a grilled corn and arugula salad.
It sounds complex, but actually each part is super easy to make and the entire recipe comes together in just under an hour!
How to make Grilled Corn and Arugula Salad
- Grill 2 mini ears of corn on the cob. For this recipe, I used O Organics Frozen Corn on the Cob. You can take the corn from the freezer and place it directly on the grill. Grill the corn for 15-20 minutes, turning throughout the grilling process. Once the corn is charred on the outside, remove the cobs from the grill and use a sharp knife to remove the kernels from the cobs.
- Combine all of the salad ingredients. In a large bowl, toss O Organics baby spinach and arugula mix with the grilled corn kernels, cherry tomatoes, diced avocado and O Organics lemon and olive oil dressing. Set the salad aside until ready to serve the scallops. Right before serving, sprinkle O Organics grated parmesan cheese over the salad.
How to make Grilled Jalapeno Lemon Garlic Butter
- Grill a jalapeno. I recommend doing this at the same time that you’re grilling the corn on the cob for the salad. The jalapenos should be grilled for 3-4 minutes per side, or until the skins are black and bubbling. Remove the jalapenos from the grill and place them in a ziplock bag for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, remove the jalapenos from the bag and peel the skin. Remove the stem of each jalapeno, then slice it open and remove the seeds. Dice the grilled jalapeno.
- Grill 1/2 of a lemon. Slice a lemon in half and place it cut side down on the grill for 3 minutes. This can be done at the end of the jalapeno grilling time. Remove the lemon from the grill and set aside.
- Combine the ingredients in a skillet. Add 1/4 cup butter to a grill-safe skillet. I used a cast iron skillet to make this recipe. Add the diced grilled jalapenos and 2 crushed garlic cloves. Place the skillet on one side of the grill over medium high heat. The butter will melt, while you cook the scallops on the other side of the grill. After 5-7 minutes, remove the jalapeno garlic butter from the grill and squeeze in the juice from the grilled lemon half. Spoon the jalapeno butter over the grilled scallops.
How to make Grilled Scallops
- Dry the scallops. Before seasoning the scallops, pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Season the scallops. Toss 1 pound of large sea scallops with olive oil, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Grill the scallops. Place the scallops on oiled grill grates, on a grill heated to medium-high heat, between 450°F – 500°F. Grill the scallops for 2 minutes per side with the grill open. Remove from the grill, top with the jalapeno lemon garlic butter and serve immediately.
Tips for Perfect Grilled Scallops every time!
- Make sure the grill grates are clean!
- Make sure the grill grates are well oiled! Grilling scallops is super easy. The most important thing to focus on is making sure they do not stick to the grill. Cleaning your grill and oiling it well before adding the scallops will help you achieve perfect grilled scallops every time!
- Make sure the grill is hot! The key to a perfect scallop is achieving a delicious golden texture on the outside, while keeping the inside tender and juicy. Cooking on a hot grill allows you to get those beautiful grill marks almost immediately without overcooking the scallops in the middle.
How to thaw scallops:
I recommend moving the scallops from the freezer to the refrigerator the night before you plan to make the dish. The scallops should be in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours before they’re grilled. If you forget to do this step, you can also place the scallops in a colander and rinse under cool water for 5-7 minutes.
Can you grill frozen scallops?
No. You want to thaw the scallops before grilling them, using one of the methods above.
What to serve with scallops:
The scallops, served with the arugula corn salad in this recipe, is perfect for a light meal. If you’d like to add an extra side, I’d highly recommend one of these 5 recipes!
- Broccoli Salad
- Instant Pot Pesto Risotto
- Creamy Corn Soup
- Couscous with Roasted Tomatillos & Corn
- Roasted Cauliflower salad
More seafood recipes to try!
Looking for more delicious seafood recipes? Check out these 5 favorites!
- Grilled Mahi Mahi Fish Tacos
- Pesto Baked Salmon
- Baked Chilean Sea Bass
- Bruschetta Salmon
- Lobster Tacos
Grilled Scallops with Lemon Garlic Butter and Arugula Salad
- 2 ears O Organic mini corn on the cob
- 1 jalapeno
- ½ lemon
- 1 lb Open Nature Colossal Sea Scallops
- 1 tbsp O Organic Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup O Organics Sweet Cream Butter, unsalted
- 2 O Organic Peeled Garlic Cloves, crushed
- 3 cups O Organic Baby Spinach and Arugula
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ avocado, diced
- ¼ cup O Organic Lemon and Olive Oil Dressing
- O Organic Canola Oil Cooking Spray
- ¼ cup O Organic Parmesan Cheese, grated
- Preheat a grill over medium high heat.
- Place the corn on the cob and jalapeno on the grill.
- Grill for 3-4 minutes per side or until the skin of the jalapeno is black and bubbling and the corn kernels are charred on all sides.
- Place the lemon half cut side down on the grill for 3 minutes.
- Remove the corn on the cob, jalapeno and lemon from the grill and set aside to cool.
- In the meantime, toss the scallops with the olive oil, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Place the butter in a pan or skillet that’s safe for the grill.
- Peel the skin from the grilled jalapeno, them remove the stem and seeds and dice the jalapeno.
- Add the diced jalapeno and crushed garlic to the pan with the butter.
- Use a sharp knife to remove the kernels from the cobs of corn.
- In a large bowl, toss the baby spinach and arugula with the cherry tomatoes, avocado, grilled corn kernels and lemon and olive oil dressing. Set aside.
- Place the pan of jalapeno butter on one side of the grill.
- On the other side of the grill, spray the grill grates with cooking spray.
- Place the scallops on the grill and grill for 2 minutes per side.
- Remove the scallops and jalapeno butter from the grill.
- Squeeze the juice from the grilled lemon into the jalapeno butter.
- Plate the scallops, then spoon the jalapeno butter over the scallops.
- Serve the prepared arugula corn salad on the side, topped with grated parmesan cheese.
- Make sure the grill is clean and well oiled before grilling the scallops, or they will stick to the grill.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.