Spinach Feta Mini Pies
This post may contain affiliate links.
Savory mini pies, also known as hand pies or picnic pies, are filled with a delicious vegetarian mixture of spinach and feta cheese and are perfect for serving as an appetizer, picnic snack or party hors d’oeuvre!
Raise your hand if you love picnics! Living in San Diego with almost perfect weather year-round, we love doing picnics at the beach and the parks in our neighborhood.
Sometimes, we wrap up Chicken Fajita Burritos and take those on our picnic (so very So Cal of us!). Other times we just grab a baguette, cheese, crackers and fruit and make it a charcuterie plate picnic. And sometimes we invite friends and make it a potluck picnic. This is the perfect time to bring these mini pies, also known as picnic pies (fitting!) or hand pies. Basically they’re an individual, hand-held pie that’s easy to transport!
These mini pies are made with a puff pastry crust and filled with a combination of fresh spinach, feta cheese crumbles, sun dried tomatoes, garlic, herbs and greek yogurt.
How to make Mini Pies with Puff Pastry
To make these mini pies with puff pastry, you’ll need two sheets of puff pastry dough. One piece of dough will be cut into circles with a round pastry cutter and will be the base of the mini pie. While the other piece of puff pastry dough will be cut into strips and used for weaving on top of the pies.
Can I make mini pies in a muffin tin?
Yes you can. While I used a Mini Tart Pan to make these pies, a muffin tin would also work. The end result would be just be a slightly different size and shape.
More spinach feta recipes
Loving the Spinach Feta combo in these pies? Try these other recipe favorites that feature the delicious cheese and veggie combo!
Spinach Feta Mini Pies
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine the spinach, feta cheese crumbles, sun dried tomatoes, green onions, oregano, garlic and greek yogurt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Roll out both sheets of puff pastry dough.
- Using a 4″ circle pastry cutter, cut 12 circles in one sheet of dough.
- Press the circles of dough into a mini tart pan or muffin pan.
- Add a heaping spoonful of the spinach feta filling to each mini pie.
- Cut the other sheet of puff pastry dough into 4″ strips. Weave 4 strips, 2 in each direction, on top of each mini pie.
- Whisk the egg and water together and brush onto the mini pies.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.