Gluten Free Chinese Honey Chicken
This post may contain affiliate links.
This Chinese Honey Chicken Recipe is healthier and better than takeout. It’s easy to make at home in only 29 minutes, and it’s one of the best gluten free recipes ever!
A lot of inspiration for new recipe creation comes from suggestions by friends or family members. “Oh hey, I really love this dish, but can you make it healthier?” or “I’ve been looking for a good recipe for this or that.”
When it comes to gluten free recipe inspiration, I always turn to my brother, Tyler. He is gluten-intolerant and my original inspiration for adding gluten free recipes to the blog!
While on a recent road trip together, I asked my brother what new gluten free recipes he’d like to see on the blog. He said that he would love to see a Chinese Honey Chicken Recipe, as his favorite recipe of all time on the blog is this Gluten Free Orange Chicken.
His wish is my command! Today I’m excited to introduce this Gluten Free Chinese Honey Chicken recipe with a delicious honey sauce. It’s guaranteed to become a new family favorite!
This delicious recipe is very lightly pan fried in olive oil, instead of deep fried. It’s lightly battered in cornstarch, instead of flour, making it a healthier, lighter, and of course, gluten free version of the Chinese Honey Chicken you would get from your local takeout spot!
How do you make Chinese honey chicken sauce?
To make this scrumptious gluten free honey sauce, combine honey, gluten free soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, sesame oil and crushed red pepper flakes.
How do you make battered honey chicken?
To make battered honey chicken gluten free, use cornstarch instead of flour to batter the chicken breast. First, coat the chicken pieces in egg, then in the cornstarch. Next, lightly pan fry the battered chicken in olive oil with garlic and chilies.
Is honey chicken healthy?
This gluten free honey chicken is only 476 calories per serving and provides 27 grams of protein per serving, making it a great addition to a healthy diet.
To add more vitamins and nutrition to the dish, stir fry in some veggies, like broccoli, sugar snap peas and bell peppers or serve roasted veggies on the side.
Instead of serving the honey chicken with white rice, serve it with cauliflower rice for another healthy twist on the dish!
Is this honey chicken recipe spicy?
This dish is both sweet and spicy. If you’re sensitive to spice, remove the crushed red pepper flakes in the sauce and omit the chili pepper when pan frying the chicken.
This honey chicken recipe is another win for the “better-than-Chinese-takeout” gluten free menu I’ve built up over they years!
Grab all of these gluten free recipes to build your own Gluten Free Chinese Food menu at home!
- Gluten Free Orange Chicken
- Sweet & Sour Chicken Fried Rice
- Gluten Free General Tso’s Chicken
- Honey Walnut Shrimp
- 20 Minute Kung Pao Chicken
- Shishito Shrimp Stir Fry
- Healthy Chinese Turkey Lettuce Wraps
- Gluten Free Kung Pao Beef & Noodle Bowl
I would like to tell you which one is my favorite, but that would basically be impossible, because I love all of these gluten free recipes!
Do you have a favorite? If so, comment below and let me know!
Gluten Free Chinese Honey Chicken
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tbsp gluten free soy sauce
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts , sliced into cubes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 thai chili pepper, seeded & sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp green onions, diced
- In a small bowl, whisk the honey, gluten free soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, sesame oil and red pepper flakes together, set the bowl aside.
- Combine the cornstarch and brown sugar in a shallow bowl or on a rimmed plate.
- Place the whisked egg in a separate shallow bowl.
- Add the chicken to the egg, then coat it in the cornstarch mixture.
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the chili pepper, garlic and coated chicken.
- Cook the chicken until slightly brown on all sides.
- Pour the honey sauce over the chicken, sauté 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the skillet and simmer for 6-8 minutes.
- Top with the diced green onions and serve.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.