Gluten Free Orange Chicken
This post may contain affiliate links.
Gluten free orange chicken is a quick and easy recipe with the most amazing sauce! It’s healthy and more delicious than Chinese restaurant take out!
My obsession with making my favorite Chinese foods gluten free started with this Gluten Free General Tso’s Chicken recipe. It then continued on to Gluten Free Chinese Honey Chicken and this Gluten Free Orange Chicken.
Needless to say, if you’re gluten free, you don’t have to miss out on your favorite Chinese restaurant favorites anymore!
Instead of battering the chicken in flour, I batter it in cornstarch. And instead of deep frying the chicken, I stir fry it on the stove. I use gluten free soy sauce to make the best orange sauce ever!
Out of all the recipes I’ve ever made on the blog, this is my brothers favorite recipe! The best part is, it’s made in just 29 minutes. It’s easy enough to whip up for dinner tonight!
Table of contents
Step by step instructions
- Prepare the orange sauce. In a medium bowl, combine fresh squeezed orange juice, white wine vinegar, gluten free soy sauce and sriracha. Add garlic, orange zest, ground ginger and brown sugar to make the orange sauce.
- Batter the chicken. Add a whisked egg to a shallow dish. In another shallow dish, combine cornstarch and brown sugar. Place bite size chicken breast pieces in the whisked egg, then dip in the cornstarch mixture. Shake off any excess cornstarch, then place the chicken aside until it’s all battered.
- Quick Tip: Use one hand for the egg mixture and another for the cornstarch mixture. My Dad taught me this trick as a kid when we would make fried chicken together. If you use the same hand in the egg and the cornstarch, the egg from your hand will drip into the cornstarch. This can make the cornstarch mixture become clumpy.
- Stir fry the chicken. Add olive oil to a large skillet over medium high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the chicken pieces and stir fry for 5-7 minutes. Pour the sauce over the chicken, reduce the heat to medium-low and continue cooking for 8 minutes.
- Serve the chicken. Remove the chicken from the heat and garnish with diced green onions and sesame seeds.
Frequently asked questions
- How long can orange chicken stay in the fridge? This orange chicken recipe will stay good in the refrigerator for 3-4 days in a sealed container.
- Is General Tso’s chicken the same as orange chicken? While both Chinese chicken dishes are prepared similarly, the sauces are different. Orange sauce is sweeter and is not spicy. General Tso’s sauce is less sweet and more spicy.
- Is orange chicken bad for you? Usually, orange chicken is battered and deep fried. This recipe however uses a light cornstarch coating and is lightly pan fried for a healthier and gluten free version.
Tips and tricks
- Feel free to substitute the chicken breasts for chicken thighs.
- If you want to spice up this orange chicken recipe, you can do so in a couple of ways. First, you can add 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes or an additional tablespoon of sriracha to the sauce. Second, you can top the completed dish with red pepper flakes or drizzle a little sriracha right on top.
- To reheat leftover orange chicken in the oven, arrange the chicken in an even layer on a baking sheet. Heat the broiler on the oven to low. Place the chicken under the broiler for 2-3 minutes. This will heat the chicken and keep it crispy, without making it tough.
- You can also quickly reheat it in the microwave. Place the chicken in a microwave-safe dish and microwave for 2 minutes. Squeeze a little fresh orange juice on top after reheating the chicken. This gives it a fresh burst of flavor.
What to serve with Orange Chicken
Chinese Orange Chicken is commonly served with white rice. For a low carb option, serve the chicken with Cauliflower Rice or serve it in lettuce wraps.
More gluten free Chinese recipes
Most Chinese food is not traditionally gluten free. But these recipes will help you easily make gluten free Chinese meals at home!
- Honey Walnut Shrimp – this classic Chinese dim sum dish is easy to make at home in only 25 minutes!
- Sweet & Sour Chicken Fried Rice – this recipe combines two Chinese restaurant favorites into one delicious gluten free meal!
- 20 Minute Kung Pao Chicken – Kung pao chicken is a spicy good time! You’re going to love this easy gluten free version!
- Chinese Lettuce Wraps – if you’ve ever been to PF Changs, I guaranteed you’ve tried their appetizer lettuce wraps! This is a healthier version of those, that’s just as flavorful and delicious!
- Sriracha Steak Fried Rice – this 15 minute one pan recipe is perfect for a gluten free weeknight meal! It’s super quick and easy to make!
- Beef & Broccoli Stir Fry – this popular Panda Express menu item is so easy to make in your own kitchen! And I promise it’s 10 TIMES better than Panda Express!
Made this recipe and loved it? Be sure to rate it 5 stars below! ↓
Gluten Free Orange Chicken
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp gluten free soy sauce
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp orange zest
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced into large chunks
- 1 egg, whisked
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh green onions, chopped – garnish
- 1 tsp sesame seeds, garnish
- Prepare the sauce by combining the orange juice, white wine vinegar, gluten free soy sauce, sriracha, garlic, orange zest, ground ginger and ¼ cup brown sugar in a medium bowl.
- Set the sauce aside.
- Prepare a shallow dish with the whisked egg and another shallow bowl with the cornstarch and 2 tbsp brown sugar.
- Place the chicken into the egg then lightly coat in the cornstarch mixture.
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the breaded chicken.
- Cook 5-7 minutes, or until chicken begins to lightly brown.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken.
- Reduce heat to low and cook 8-10 minutes.
- Serve with rice, vegetables or lettuce for wraps.
- Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.
- This orange chicken recipe is sweet, to add some spice, add 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes or an additional tablespoon of sriracha to the sauce. You can also top the completed dish with red pepper flakes or a drizzle of sriracha.
- To reheat this chicken in the microwave, place in a microwave-safe dish and microwave for 2 minutes.
- To reheat this chicken in the oven, place in an even layer on a baking sheet. Place under the broiler on low in the oven for 2-3 minutes.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.