Baked Italian Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms are filled with ground turkey & cherry tomatoes, creating an easy, healthy, low carb & whole30 approved recipe!
Today though, they’re the star of the show! These Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms are filled with Italian seasoned ground turkey and cherry tomatoes, then baked in the oven for an easy meal that’s both healthy and flavorful!
How do I cook stuffed portobello mushrooms in the oven?
Stuffed portobello mushrooms are easy to make in the oven. First, prepare the ingredients to stuff inside the mushrooms.
For this Italian Stuffed Mushrooms recipes, I cooked ground turkey with onions, garlic and Italian seasoning. I then tossed cherry tomatoes in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. I stuffed the mushrooms with the turkey, then topped them with the cherry tomatoes.
The mushrooms are then placed on a rimmed baking sheet and into the oven at 400°F for 20 minutes. This gives the cherry tomatoes just enough time to begin to burst and create a “sauce” over the stuffed mushrooms. This is also the perfect amount of time to roast the mushrooms so that they’re perfectly tender.
Do you wash portobello mushrooms before cooking?
Yes! After removing the mushrooms stem and cleaning out the gills, lightly rinse them with cool water and pat them dry with a paper towel.
How to eat stuffed portobello mushrooms?
Once the mushrooms are roasted and ready to eat, how do you eat them? You can pick them up and eat them like a pizza, (I won’t judge!)but that can get a little messy!
I recommend serving these stuffed portobello mushrooms with a knife and a fork. That way you can cut individual bites and make sure you get a little mushroom, turkey and a roasted cherry tomato in every bite!
What to serve with Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
Trying to keep things low carb and whole30 compliant? Serve sautéed zucchini noodles, made with a spiralizer, tossed with vegan kale pistachio pesto on the side. A simple side salad would also go great with these stuffed mushrooms to make a complete meal.
Are stuffed portobello mushrooms low carb?
Yes! These stuffed mushrooms come in at just 13 carbohydrates each.
Looking for more delicious low carb recipes? Try these 4 favorites!
- Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats
- The Ultimate Low Carb Nachos
- Greek Turkey Stuffed Zucchini
- Tomato Basil Chicken Skewers
Whole30 Italian Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
- 3 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 cup onions diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 2 cups grape tomatoes
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 4 large portobello mushrooms de-stemmed and cleaned
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil to a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the onions, garlic, ground turkey and Italian seasoning, cook for 5-7 minutes. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, toss the grape tomatoes with the remaining 2 tbsp olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Divide the ground turkey mixture between the four portobello mushrooms, then top each one with the grape tomatoes.
- Place on a baking sheet and into the oven for 20 minutes.