Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats
This post may contain affiliate links.
Zucchini boats are stuffed with ground chicken breast cooked with onions, garlic and buffalo sauce in this deliciously easy, healthy, low carb and gluten free recipe!
I love stuffed veggie recipes, they’re fun, colorful and healthy! Some of my favorite veggies to stuff are spaghetti squash, bell peppers and sweet potatoes.
These recipes for Vegetarian Stuffed Spaghetti Squash, Turkey Chili Stuffed Spaghetti Squash, Whole 30 Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers and Chipotle Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are just a few of my favorite stuffed veggie recipes!
Now let’s talk about stuffing zucchini! You can stuff zucchini with a variety of ingredients, from pizza toppings, to taco seasoned meat, to veggies and beans for a vegetarian meal. Of course, I stuffed them with my favorite ingredient, buffalo chicken!
What are zucchini boats?
Zucchini boats are zucchinis that have been sliced in half lengthwise and hollowed out in the middle. This essentially creates a “boat” for delicious ingredients to fill the zucchini.
Are zucchini boats healthy?
It depends on what you fill them with, but yes! Zucchini is a nutrient-dense vegetable, which means you’re getting a lot of nutrients out of the squash in exchange for very few calories.
Zucchinis contain no fat and are high in fiber. They’re a significant source of vitamins B6, riboflavin, folate, C, and K, and minerals, like potassium and manganese. Zucchini also contains antioxidant and anti-inflammatory phytonutrients.
Are zucchini boats keto?
Once again, it depends what you fill them with, but these Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats are keto friendly! Zucchinis are a great vegetable to eat while on the keto diet as they only contain 3 grams of net carbs per cup. Two of these zucchini boats, which is considered one serving, is only 9 carbs.
How many calories in zucchini boats?
Each of these buffalo chicken zucchini boats is only 145 calories, so feel free to eat 2 or 3! In the calories per serving noted in the recipe card below, I included 2 zucchini boats per serving, which equals 289 calories per serving.
Are Zucchini Boats Whole 30 compliant?
You can easily make these Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats Whole 30 compliant by using Tabasco Buffalo Sauce and omitting the cheese.
How to bake zucchini boats in the oven:
To bake these zucchini boats in the oven, preheat the oven to 400°F. Stuff the zucchini with the cooked buffalo chicken and place in the oven for 5 minutes. Top with the cheese and place back in the oven for an additional 7 minutes.
Baking at this temperature for this time will keep the texture of the zucchini strong enough to hold the ingredients inside for eating. Overcooking the zucchini will make it too soft and it will become difficult to eat the zucchini boats.
How to grill zucchini boats:
While I used the oven to make this stuffed zucchini recipe, I also tested them on the grill and they were delicious!
To grill zucchini boats, you’ll want to heat a grill to medium, oil the grill grates, then place the buffalo chicken stuffed zucchini on the grill for 5 minutes. Lift the lid on the grill, sprinkle with the cheese and continue grilling for another 5-7 minutes.
Now who’s totally jazzed on zucchinis? I know I am! They’re such a versatile, healthy and great low carb squash for stuffing, spiralizing and tossing in salads!
After you make this Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Zucchini, be sure to add these other zucchini recipe favorites to your menu!
- Bruschetta Grilled Chicken Zoodle Bowls
- Greek Quinoa Salad with Diced Zucchini (you could even use the insides of the zucchini that you scooped out from this zucchini boat recipe in this salad recipe!)
- Pesto Baked Salmon with Zoodles
- Zucchini Quinoa Burgers
- Balsamic Salmon Zoodle Bowls
Don’t forget to pin these Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats for later and when you make them, be sure to share a pic on Instagram and tag me @WhitneyBond or use the hashtag #WBRecipes!
Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats
- 4 zucchinis
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground chicken breast
- ½ cup buffalo sauce
- ½ cup pepper jack cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut off the ends of each zucchini, then slice in half lengthwise.
- Use a spoon to hollow out the zucchini, leaving app ¼ inch at the bottom and on the sides.
- Place the hollowed zucchini on a large baking sheet, lined with parchment paper, set aside.
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion, garlic and chicken, cook 4-5 minutes.
- Add the buffalo sauce and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat and spoon into the hollowed zucchini.
- Place in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven, top with the pepper jack cheese and place back in the oven for 7 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with fresh chopped cilantro or green onions, if you’d like.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.