Italian Turkey Sweet Potato Casserole
This post may contain affiliate links.
Looking for an easy, healthy, gluten free recipe? Try this Italian Turkey Sweet Potato Casserole, made with ground turkey and sweet potato noodles!
Creating vegetable noodles with a spiralizer is one of my favorite ways to make healthy recipes!
I’ve also made butternut squash noodles to go in these Balsamic Chicken Butternut Squash Noodle Bowls.
Sweet potatoes were my first vegetable noodle to make with a spiralizer. I made them and created this Italian casserole dish. The casserole features layers of sweet potato noodles, Italian seasoned ground turkey and fresh mozzarella cheese. It’s a winning combo of flavors. It’s healthy and easy to make!
How do you make easy sweet potato casserole?
To make this Italian sweet potato casserole, start by cooking onions, bell pepper, garlic and ground turkey together on the stove. Add Italian seasoning and diced tomatoes, then simmer.
Make sweet potatoes noodles using a spiralizer, then add them to the skillet with the ground turkey. Top with fresh mozzarella cheese, then transfer to the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Is this Italian Casserole healthy?
This Italian casserole recipe is under 500 calories per serving and 32 carbs per serving. It provides 42 grams of protein, 311% daily Vitamin A needs and 77% daily Vitamin C needs. Low in calories and high in vitamins, this recipe is a great healthy option to add to a balanced diet.
Can I prepare sweet potatoes ahead of time?
Yes. Spiralized sweet potatoes can be kept in a ziplock bag or plastic container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
How do you make sweet potato noodles without a spiralizer?
If you don’t have a spiralizer, you can use a vegetable peeler to make sweet potato noodles. A julienne vegetable peeler will work best, but any peeler will work.
For this recipe, you can also dice the sweet potatoes instead of spiralizing them.
Is sweet potato casserole gluten free?
This sweet potato casserole is gluten free. To make the casserole dairy free, omit the mozzarella cheese. Bake covered the entire 30 minutes instead of baking uncovered for the last 15 minutes.
If you love sweet potatoes as much as I do, you have to check out these other popular sweet potato recipes!
- Thai Peanut Sweet Potato Buddha Bowls
- Whole30 Chipotle Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Mexican Vegan Sweet Potato Quinoa Bowls
- Black Bean Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers
- 30 Minute Sweet Potato Soup
Italian Turkey Sweet Potato Casserole
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 small sweet potatoes
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add the olive oil to a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and bell pepper, sauté for 3-5 minutes, add the garlic, saute for 1 minute.
- Add the ground turkey and cook through.
- Add the Italian seasoning and diced tomatoes.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Slice the ends off of the sweet potatoes, peel and spiralize.
- Add the spiralized sweet potatoes to the skillet with the ground turkey.
- Toss and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- If the skillet is not oven safe, transfer the casserole to an oven-safe dish and top with the fresh mozzarella cheese. If the skillet you are using on the stovetop is oven safe, simply top with the fresh mozzarella and place in the oven.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.