Red Velvet Brookies
This post may contain affiliate links.
Red velvet chocolate chip cookie dough is layered on top of red velvet brownie batter in this delicious recipe for Red Velvet Brookies!
Move over Red Velvet Oreos! Red Velvet Brookies are the new queen of all things Red Velvet! Seriously though, it’s hard to beat Red Velvet Brownie Batter topped with Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough.
Ever since I first introduced Nutella Brookies on the blog in 2015, I keep thinking of other ways I can switch up the delicious brookie and turn it into a new and amazing recipe! Enter, Valentine’s Day, enter, recipe development for red & heart-shaped dishes, enter, red velvet brookies!
They’re sweet, chocolatey goodness in the perfect shade of red for Valentine’s Day (or pretty much any day you want a delicious treat!) I wrapped up some of these in cute little bags, covered in pink and red hearts, to give to friends so that I didn’t eat them all myself, because that totally would have happened!
Cut them into squares or cute little heart shapes, either way, I guarantee that you won’t be able to eat just one!
Table of contents
- Unsweetened cocoa
- Baking powder
- Unsalted butter
- Granulated sugar
- Brown sugar
- Red food coloring
- Vanilla extract
- White vinegar
- Chocolate chips – I use semi-sweet chocolate chips in this recipe, but you could also use milk chocolate, white chocolate or dark chocolate chips.
Step by step instructions
Mix the wet ingredients. In a large bowl, use an electric hand mixer or stand mixer, to combine the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until smooth and creamy. Add the egg and egg yolk, mix to combine with the other ingredients. Mix in the food coloring, vanilla extract and vinegar.
Mix in the dry. After the ingredients are combined, add in the dry ingredients and mix well. Hand mix in the chocolate chips. Place the dough in the refrigerator.
Prepare the brownie batter. Cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl. Stir in the vanilla, eggs, red food coloring and vinegar.
Mix the dry brownie ingredients. Stir together cocoa, flour, salt and baking powder together in a separate bowl.
Combine the wet and dry. Add the cocoa flour mixture to the butter sugar mixture and blend well.
Start layering. Spread the brownie batter into a 9 inch x 13 inch baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.
Top with cookie dough. Remove the cookie dough from the refrigerator and spread on top.
Bake. Place in a preheated 325°F oven to bake for 40-50 minutes. Let cool, then slice into squares and dig in!
Frequently asked questions
- What flavor is red velvet? Red velvet is a chocolatey flavor with a bit of a tang. It is made with cocoa and vinegar for the perfect balance of flavor. Red food coloring is added to give it the beautiful red color it’s named for.
- What makes brownies fudgy vs cakey? Fudgy brownies are made with more butter and chocolate than cakey brownies.
- How do you store brookies? Keep these sealed at room temperature for up to 3-5 days. You can also seal them in an airtight freezer-safe container for up to 3 months in the freezer.
What to serve with brookies
Make this dessert a la mode with any of these no churn ice cream recipes. I recommend heating the brookies up for 30 seconds in the microwave first, so that the ice cream slightly melts on top of them. Yummy!!
- Salted Caramel Ice Cream
- Moose Tracks Ice Cream
- Milk and Cookies Ice Cream
- Strawberry Ice Cream
- Chocolate Ice Cream
- No Churn Ice Cream
More red velvet recipes
Can’t get enough of the chocolate decadence with a beautiful red hue? Make these recipes next!
- Red Velvet Puppy Chow
- Frozen Red Velvet Cheesecake Bars
- Mini Red Velvet Cookie Cups with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Red Velvet Cookies with White Chocolate Chips & Blueberries
- Easy Red Velvet Oreo Cheesecake Bars
- Red Velvet Kiss Cookies
Red Velvet Brookies
Red Velvet Cookie Dough
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
Prepare the cookie dough.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder in a small mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until smooth and creamy.
- Combine the egg and egg yolk with the other ingredients.
- Add in the food coloring, vanilla and vinegar.
- After the ingredients are combined well, add in the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Hand mix in the chocolate chips.
- Place the dough in the refrigerator.
Prepare the brownie batter.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl.
- Stir in the vanilla, eggs, red food coloring and vinegar.
- Mix the cocoa, flour, salt and baking powder together in a separate bowl.
- Add the cocoa flour mixture to the butter sugar mixture and blend well.
Prepare the brookies.
- Spread the brownie batter into a 9 inch x 13 inch baking dish, sprayed with cooking spray.
- Remove the cookie dough from the refrigerator and spread on top.
- Place in the oven to bake for 40-50 minutes.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.