Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
This post may contain affiliate links.
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup is easy to prep in only 10 minutes with a deliciously spicy kick! This healthy recipe is gluten free, low calorie and a simple crock pot meal, perfect for cold winter days!
When cold, rainy weather hits, it gives me the perfect excuse to stay inside and eat soup for every meal! Crock pot soups are great because they can serve as a complete meal, use minimal dishes, and are so easy to make.
This Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup is perfect for rainy days, winter months and anytime you want a really scrumptious soup recipe that takes only 10 minutes to prep and has a deliciously spicy kick to it!
But don’t worry, if you don’t like spicy, you can cut down on the spice and still end up with a super flavorful soup that’s on the mild side. Not only is this soup absolutely delicious and satisfying, it’s a healthy, low calorie and gluten free meal that everyone will love!
This is a favorite soup around our house. Everyone in the family loves it and I especially love it, because it’s so easy to make!
Table of contents
- Chili powder – the following 7 spices can be used to make this recipe. Or to simplify things, if you already have my homemade taco seasoning mixed up, you can use that in place of the spices. I’ve done this several times over the years with this recipe and it’s absolutely delicious!
- Ground cumin
- Dried oregano
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Chicken broth
- Canned diced tomatoes with green chilies – if you live in the midwest, you might just call this Rotel. I use the “original” variety of Rotel for this recipe, but mild or hot Rotel can also be used, to tone up or done the spice level.
- Sriracha – or your favorite hot sauce.
- Tomato paste
- Diced onion
- Canned corn
- Kidney beans
- Black beans
Step by step instructions
Mix the seasonings. Combine the chili powder, paprika, cumin, oregano, onion powder, garlic powder and salt in a small bowl. (Or use pre-made taco seasoning, like I mentioned above.)
Start loading the slow cooker. Place the chicken breast in the bottom of a slow cooker and rub the chicken with the seasoning mix.
Cover the chicken. Add the chicken broth, diced tomatoes with green chilies, sriracha, tomato paste, diced onions, corn, kidney beans and black beans to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
Cook the soup. Set the slow cooker to low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
Pull apart the chicken. Reach two forks in the slow cooker and shred the chicken directly in the soup, or remove the chicken from the soup, shred it and return it to the soup.
Serve! Ladle the chicken enchilada soup into bowls and serve with your favorite toppings.
This soup is made even more amazing by adding some toppings! Garnish your bowl with any of the following additions.
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sliced avocado
- Chopped cilantro
- Tortilla strips
- Fresh or pickled sliced jalapenos
How to make it in an instant pot
Want to make chicken enchilada soup in under an hour? Try making it in an Instant Pot, or electric pressure cooker. Just follow these 4 simple steps!
- Turn the saute function on the Instant Pot on to “normal”, add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the onion, saute 4-5 minutes. Rub the chicken breast with the seasoning mix and add it to the Instant Pot. Sear the chicken for 2-3 minutes per side.
- Press the Keep Warm/Cancel button on the pressure cooker. Add the chicken broth, diced tomatoes with green chilies, sriracha, tomato paste, corn, kidney beans and black beans to the Instant Pot and stir to combine.
- Place the lid on the pressure cooker and make sure the steam release is set to “sealing”. Press the “manual” button and set the pressure cooker to high pressure, then use the +/- buttons to set the pressure cooker to 10 minutes. When the cooking time is up, wait 10-15 minutes, then release any remaining pressure before unlocking the lid.
- Remove the lid and either shred the chicken directly in the Instant Pot, or remove the cooked chicken from the soup, shred it and return it to the soup.
Frequently asked questions
- Can I freeze leftover soup? You sure can! Let the soup cool then transfer it to an airtight freezer-safe container. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Defrost for 24 hours in the refrigerator before reheating the soup in a slow cooker, on the stove or in the microwave.
- Can you slow cook soup too long? Yes, you can. While slow cooking soup gives amazing flavor, it should not be cooked excessively. Meat and other ingredients can break down too much causing the texture to be unappealing. It is best to stick to the times listed in the recipe.
- Can you put raw chicken in a slow cooker? Yes, cooking raw chicken in a slow cooker is an excellent way to create tender meat that is easy to shred.
- Can you put frozen chicken in a slow cooker? This is not recommend, as it can take the internal temperature of the chicken too long to rise in the slow cooker, potentially causing bacteria to build up, which we definitely don’t want! To be on the safe side, I always recommend thawing chicken breasts before adding them into the slow cooker.
- How many calories are in chicken enchilada soup? This recipe offers up 6 generous portions of soup for only 329 calories per serving (without the additional toppings).
- Is this recipe keto? Made as-is, this recipe is not appropriate for a keto diet, but you can omit the beans and corn to make it low carb and perfect for an easy keto meal!
- Is this soup spicy? The recipe as-is, does have a nice kick to it, but you can omit the sriracha to make a mild chicken enchilada soup.
What to serve with it
While this soup is filling and nutritious enough to be a meal on its own, you can also pair it with a salad for a classic soup and salad combo!
And be sure you don’t forget the Jalapeño Cheddar Focaccia Bread. It’s delicious dipped right into this soup!
More slow cooker soup recipes
When the weather calls for soup, bust out the crock pot and make these easy, comforting, and delicious recipes!
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Turkey Taco Soup
- Chipotle Stout Crock Pot Chili
- Easy Slow Cooker Vegan Chili
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Chili
- Healthy Greek Turkey Soup
- Gluten Free Pasta Fagioli Soup
- Slow Cooker French Onion Meatball Soup
Slow Cooker Spicy Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 lb. chicken breast
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 10 oz cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
- ¼ cup sriracha
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 cup diced onion
- 15 oz can corn
- 15 oz can kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 15 oz can black beans, drained & rinsed
- Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Avocado, sliced
- Cilantro, chopped
- Tortilla Strips
- Combine the chili powder, paprika, cumin, oregano, onion powder, garlic powder and salt in a small bowl.
- Place the chicken breast in a large slow cooker and rub the seasoning on the chicken.
- Add the chicken broth, diced tomatoes with green chilies, sriracha, tomato paste, diced onions, corn, kidney beans and black beans to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
- Before serving, reach two forks in the slow cooker and shred the chicken directly in the soup, or remove the chicken from the soup, shred and return to the soup.
- Ladle the enchilada soup into bowls and serve topped with your favorite toppings.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.