Slow Cooker Taco Soup
This post may contain affiliate links.
Crockpot Taco Soup is made with taco seasoned ground beef, tomatoes, beans and corn for THE BEST taco soup, that’s also so easy to make! This simple slow cooker recipe is gluten free, under 500 calories per serving and guaranteed to become a new family favorite!
This crockpot taco soup recipe was one of my favorite dinners that my Mom would make when I was growing up!
Over the years, I’ve made several different versions of the soup, from a One Pot Turkey Taco Soup, to a Slow Cooker Cheesy Turkey Taco Soup. They’re all delicious, but when I’m in the mood for a taste of home, I always go back to this simple taco soup recipe my Mom used to make!
This crockpot taco soup recipe is so easy to make. The only prep you’ll need to do is to cook the onion and ground beef on the stove, then add it to a crockpot with cans of tomatoes, corn, beans, chilies and taco seasoning.
Table of contents
Step by step instructions
- Cook the ground beef and onions. Pour olive oil into a large skillet over medium heat, add diced onions and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add ground beef to the onions and cook until browned, 6-8 minutes.
- Place the canned ingredients in a crock pot. Add canned tomatoes, corn, beans and green chilies to a crock pot.
- Prepare the taco seasoning. Combine chili powder, ground cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, oregano, kosher salt and cayenne pepper in a small bowl.
- Quick tip! Feel free to make the taco seasoning ahead of time and store it in the pantry until you’re ready to make the soup.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the crock pot. Add the ground beef, onions and taco seasoning to the crock pot. Stir to combine all of the ingredients.
- Slow cook the taco soup. Cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 8-10 hours.
Frequently asked questions
- What beans are in taco soup? Kidney beans and pinto beans are added to this taco soup recipe.
- How many calories are in the soup? This recipe serves 8 and contains 491 calories per serving.
- How do you freeze taco soup? This recipe feeds 8 people, if you’re making it for only 2 or 4 people, you can easily freeze the rest to use later. Simply place the soup you want to freeze in freezer-safe plastic bags or plastic containers and place in the freezer for up to 6 months. Be sure to leave 1 inch of space in the container for the soup to expand in the freezer.
- How do you reheat taco soup? To reheat from the freezer, simply add it back to a crockpot set to low for 2 hours, or add it to a large pot on the stove over medium heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until completely thawed and heated through.
What to serve with the soup
Growing up, we would serve tortilla chips on the side and I would dip the chips into the taco soup. This is still one of my favorite ways to eat the soup!
As an adult, I’ve served the soup with both Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread and Jalapeno Cheddar Focaccia Bread. I just love the combination of jalapeno and cheddar cheese breads dipped into this yummy taco soup!
You could also serve it with chips and any of the following homemade dips!
- Pico De Gallo
- Creamy Avocado Salsa
- Grilled Pineapple Tomatillo Guacamole
- Buffalo Queso Dip
- Watermelon Salsa
- Slow Cooker Green Chili Queso Dip
More slow cooker recipes to try
Line up your weekly menu with all of these popular crock pot recipes!
- Slow Cooker Beef Ragu
- Crock Pot Pork Chops
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Chili
- Slow Cooker Swedish Meatballs
- Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken
- Slow Cooker Beef Barbacoa
- French Onion Pot Roast
Crockpot Taco Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 15 oz cans diced tomatoes with jalapeños
- 4 oz can diced green chilies
- 15 oz can corn
- 15 oz can kidney beans
- 2 15 oz cans pinto beans
- 3 tbsp homemade taco seasoning
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado, diced
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat, add the onions and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the ground beef to the onions and brown.
- Add the tomatoes, corn, beans and green chilies to a crock pot.
- Prepare the taco seasoning by combining all of the spices in a small bowl.
- Add the ground beef, onions and taco seasoning to the crock pot.
- Stir to combine.
- Cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 8-10 hours.
- To make the soup vegetarian, substitute meatless crumbles or soy chorizo for the ground beef.
- To freeze the soup, place it in freezer-safe plastic bags or plastic containers and place in the freezer for up to 6 months. Be sure to leave 1 inch of space in the container for the soup to expand in the freezer.
- To reheat the soup from the freezer, add it back to a crockpot set to low for 2 hours, or add it to a large pot on the stove over medium heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until completely thawed and heated through.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.