One Pot Ground Turkey Taco Soup
This post may contain affiliate links.
Ground Turkey Taco Soup is packed with tomatoes, chilies and three kinds of beans for a hearty, high-protein soup. This recipe is easy to make in one pot, in just 29 minutes!
I don’t know about y’all, but this time of year, I’m always looking for healthy weeknight meals to throw in amongst the weekend holiday parties filled with cheese plates, cookies and cocktails.
Since this is also the busiest time of the year, I’m also looking for meals that are quick and easy. This Ground Turkey Taco Soup happens to fit the bill for both a healthy meal, that’s also simple to make in no time!
This soup is filled with pulses. I know what you’re thinking, “wait a minute Whitney, what are pulses?” Pulses are the delicious, protein-packed, sustainable foods known as dry peas, chickpeas, lentils and beans. I’m sure your pantry is filled with pulses, you just didn’t know that’s what they were called!
For this recipe, I incorporated black beans, pinto beans and kidney beans into the turkey taco soup. Each bowl of this taco soup contains over a 1⁄2 cup serving of pulses, which adds a ton of nutrients to this already healthy recipe!
Table of contents
Step by step instructions
- Cook the turkey. Drizzle olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven on the stove over medium high heat. Add the red onion and ground turkey, cook for about 6-7 minutes or until the turkey is cooked all the way through.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients. Add the diced tomatoes with jalapeños, diced green chilies, black beans, kidney beans, pinto beans, corn and taco seasoning.
- Bring the flavors together. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes.
- Enjoy! Serve with the optional toppings of your choice.
How to store and reheat
- To store: leftover turkey taco soup should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It is best to enjoy the soup within 5 days.
- To reheat from the refrigerator: leftover soup can be reheated in a saucepan on the stove over medium heat for 10 minutes. It can also be reheated in the microwave in a bowl for 2-3 minutes.
- To freeze: store the soup in freezer-safe container, either a zipper bag, glass, or plastic container. Be sure to leave 1 inch of space for the soup to expand in the freezer. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- To reheat from frozen: place the frozen soup in the refrigerator for 24 hours to defrost. Transfer the soup back to a slow cooker, set to low for 2 hours, or reheat the soup in a large pot on the stove for 15-20 minutes, or until heated through.
What to serve with taco soup
Dress up your turkey taco soup with toppings like avocado, cilantro, and shredded cheese. Or get fancy and throw on a dollop of guacamole! Then serve it alongside these tasty recipes.
- Jalapeño Cheddar Focaccia Bread
- Slow Cooker Cornbread
- Green Chili Chorizo Queso Dip
- 10 Minute Homemade Salsa
More easy one pot recipes
Create scrumptious family-friendly meals in one pot with these simple recipes!
- Spanish Chorizo Chicken Paella
- 5 Ingredient Italian Meatball Soup
- One Pot Mediterranean Ground Lamb Pasta
- Kale Pesto Spaghetti with Goat Cheese
- One Pot German Meatballs & Potatoes
- Chicken Potsticker Stir Fry
- One Pot Taco Chicken & Rice
One Pot Ground Turkey Taco Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 30 ounces diced tomatoes with jalapeños, 3 – 10 oz cans
- 4 ounce can diced green chilies
- 15 ounce can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 15 ounce can kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 15 ounce can pinto beans, drained & rinsed
- 15 ounce can corn, drained & rinsed
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning, click link for homemade taco seasoning recipe
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado, sliced
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Add the olive oil to a large pot or dutch oven on the stove over medium high heat.
- Add the red onion and ground turkey, cook 6-7 minutes or until the turkey is cooked through.
- Add the diced tomatoes with jalapenos, diced green chilies, black beans, kidney beans, pinto beans, corn and taco seasoning.
- Stir to combine and bring to a simmer.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve with the optional toppings of your choice.
- The nutritional information provided does not include the optional toppings and is calculated using extra lean ground turkey.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.