Slow Cooker Cheesy Turkey Taco Soup
This post may contain affiliate links.
This Easy Cheesy Slow Cooker Turkey Taco Soup recipe only requires 15 minutes of prep, then cooks in a crock pot all day, it’s gluten free & delicious!
It’s August y’all, and with that comes back-to-school for my friends with kids!
Since I don’t have kids myself, whenever I’m brainstorming back-to-school recipes I think of the things that I liked eating as a kid and the things that my Mom liked making.
The slow cooker was my Moms best friend. It was so easy to toss something in the slow cooker in the morning and have dinner ready to go whenever everyone got home from school, gymnastics, soccer, work, etc.
One of my favorite recipes that she would make was a Taco Soup Recipe. I would top it with plenty of cheese and eat half of it with a spoon and dip half of it up with tortilla chips!
Today I’m putting a twist on this childhood favorite, that I hope will become a new family favorite in your house!
For this easy taco soup recipe, I started with turkey breast tenderloins as a healthy, protein base for the soup. But you could also use chicken breasts. I added taco seasoning, veggies and cream cheese, then let the slow cooker do it’s thing!
Before serving, I shredded the turkey and added cheddar cheese to give it that cheesy deliciousness we all love!
The final result was a flavorful cheesy taco soup recipe, that still remains light and brothy because there is no heavy cream or “cream-of” soups added to the dish.
This taco soup recipe is the perfect weeknight dinner for a family of four, and any leftovers can be packed for school lunch the next day in a Soup Thermos. (← I’m kind of obsessed with this one!)
Cheesy Turkey Taco Soup Ingredients
- Turkey Breast Tenderloin – you can also use boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Taco Seasoning – click the link for my homemade seasoning recipe!
- Green Bell Pepper
- Canned Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies
- Chicken Broth
- Cream Cheese
- Cheddar Cheese
- Tortilla Strips
- Cilantro Leaves
Step by Step Instructions
Rub the turkey breast tenderloin with the taco seasoning. Place in a large slow cooker with the onion and bell pepper.
Add the diced tomatoes with green chilies, chicken broth and cream cheese to the slow cooker.
Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high 3-4 hours.
Shred the turkey, either by removing it from the slow cooker first, or simply shredding it in the slow cooker.
Add the shredded turkey back to the slow cooker with the cheddar cheese. Stir to combine.
Allow the cheddar cheese to melt in for 5-10 minutes.
Top with the optional toppings of your choice such as tortilla strips and fresh cilantro, and easy as that, dinner is served!
Looking for more easy back-to-school recipes made with turkey?
Slow Cooker Cheesy Turkey Taco Soup
- 1.5 lb turkey breast tenderloin
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 20 oz diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 8 oz cream cheese, cubed
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup tortilla strips
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 avocado, diced
- Rub the turkey breast tenderloin with the taco seasoning.
- Place in a large slow cooker with the onion and bell pepper.
- Add the diced tomatoes with green chilies, chicken broth and cream cheese to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high 3-4 hours.
- Shred the turkey, either by removing it from the slow cooker first, or simply shredding it in the slow cooker.
- Add the shredded turkey back to the slow cooker with the cheddar cheese.
- Stir to combine.
- Allow the cheddar cheese to melt in for 5-10 minutes.
- Top with the optional toppings of your choice such as tortilla strips and fresh cilantro.
- Nutrition information provided does not include optional toppings.
- Feel free to use boneless, skinless chicken breasts instead of the turkey breast tenderloin, if you prefer!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.