This recipe for Pasta Fagioli soup is a delicious, gluten free copycat of the Olive Garden favorite. It’s easily made in a slow cooker or Instant Pot!
Growing up in Oklahoma, we’d drive to “the city” AKA Oklahoma City to go to Olive Garden on special occasions. (Because we fancy like that! 😉 ) My favorite thing was their pasta fagioli soup and breadsticks.
The soup name translates to “pasta and beans”, which means it’s usually not gluten free. If you switch out traditional pasta for gluten free pasta, then you’ve got a delicious gluten free spin on a classic Italian soup!
I’ve made this recipe both in a slow cooker and Instant Pot and both ways it’s totally scrumptious! The slow cooker is great for setting and forgetting all day. The Instant Pot is perfect for a quick and easy weeknight meal.
For the Instant Pot recipe, simply saute the veggies and cook the ground beef right in the Instant Pot. Add the rest of the ingredients for the soup, then switch it over to pressure cook for just 7 minutes.
For the slow cooker recipe, saute the veggies and cook the ground beef on the stove. Add them to a slow cooker with all of the other ingredients except the pasta. Let it slow cook all day, then add the pasta 30 minutes before serving.
Both options are super easy and turn out totally delicious! Whether you’re looking for something fast or slow, you now have options!
Looking for more great soup recipes? You have to try these 5 favorites!
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Turkey Taco Soup
- Chai Spiced Butternut Squash Soup
- Roasted Tomato Soup
- Slow Cooker Spicy Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 30 Minute Sweet Potato Soup
Gluten Free Pasta Fagioli Soup
This recipe for Pasta Fagioli soup is a delicious, gluten free copycat of the Olive Garden favorite, easily made in a slow cooker or Instant Pot!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onion diced
- 1 cup carrots diced
- 1 cup celery diced
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 28 oz diced tomatoes
- 15 oz red kidney beans
- 15 oz northern beans AKA cannellini beans
- 32 oz tomato sauce
- 2 cups gluten free beef broth
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 8 oz gluten free penne pasta
- parmesan cheese optional - for topping
Slow Cooker Recipe
- Add the olive oil, onions, carrots and celery to a large skillet over medium heat.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes, then add the ground beef, salt, oregano, basil, black pepper and rosemary.
- Cook until the beef is browned, then transfer to a slow cooker.
- Add the tomatoes, beans and tomato sauce to the slow cooker and stir.
- Add the beef broth and white vinegar to the slow cooker and stir.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Thirty minutes before serving, add the pasta to the slow cooker and stir into the soup.
- Once the pasta has cooked in the soup for 30 minutes, ladle the soup into bowls and serve topped with freshly grated parmesan cheese (if desired).
Instant Pot Recipe
- Press the saute button on the Instant Pot, use the adjust button to set on the “normal” setting.
- Add olive oil to the Instant Pot, when the display says “hot”, add the carrots, onions and celery, saute 4-5 minutes, then add the ground beef, salt, oregano, black pepper, basil and rosemary.
- Cook 4-5 minutes, or until beef is cooked through.
- Add the tomatoes, kidney beans, northern beans, tomato sauce, beef broth and white vinegar.
- Add the gluten free penne pasta and stir everything to combine.
- Press the Keep Warm/Cancel button on the Instant Pot.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and make sure the steam release is set to “sealing”.
- Press the “manual” button and use the +/- buttons to set the Instant Pot to 7 minutes.
- The instant pot will display “on” as it comes up to temperature and then will count down from 7 minutes on the display once it comes up to temperature.
- Once it has pressure cooked for 7 minutes, the Instant Pot will beep 3 times.
- Slide the steam release handle to the "venting" position to let out steam until the float valve drops down.
- Remove the lid and serve immediately topped with fresh grated parmesan cheese (if desired).