Rosemary Focaccia Bread
This post may contain affiliate links.
Baking homemade rosemary focaccia bread is easy, fun and delicious! This Italian bread recipe can be served as a side or appetizer. Or slice it up to make a delicious sandwich!
There’s really nothing better than the smell of fresh bread baking in the oven!
And I save the other loaf for making sandwiches throughout the week. I mean, you could eat Rosemary Tri Tip French Dip Sandwiches on another type of bread. But why would you want to?
My Dad has been making this easy focaccia bread recipe for years. He always makes extra loaves to share with coworkers, friends and neighbors. It’s one of the most requested recipes he makes. Well, that and his Famous Captain Crunch Fried Chicken, of course!
How To Make Focaccia Bread From Scratch
Combine active dry yeast, sugar and warm water in a large bowl. Wait 10 minutes, or until the yeast mixture is topped with bubbles.
Add all-purpose flour, salt, black pepper, Italian seasoning, fresh chopped rosemary and butter. Combine all of the ingredients, then form the mixture into a ball.
Transfer the dough onto a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes.
Brush olive oil, or use olive oil cooking spray, to cover the inside of a large bowl.
Place the kneaded dough in the bowl and cover with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap. Allow the dough to rise for one hour and 30 minutes, or until doubled in size.
Once the dough has risen, split the dough in half and form into two oval shapes.
Place on a baking stone or parchment lined baking sheet. Use your finger to press indentations in the bread. Bake at 400°F for 10 minutes.
Remove the bread from the oven and brush with olive oil. Top with more fresh chopped rosemary. Place back into the oven to bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
How long does homemade focaccia last?
Wrap any leftover homemade focaccia bread in foil or plastic wrap and leave on the counter for 2-3 days.
To reheat the rosemary focaccia bread for serving, place in a 350°F oven for 5 minutes.
What do you eat focaccia bread with?
Focaccia bread is delicious served on the side of soups and pasta. It can also be served as a side dish or appetizer with flavored olive oil for dipping.
I also like to use it for sandwiches and paninis. Slice the bread through the middle and into 4 quarters, then fill it with your favorite sandwich ingredients. I love to fill the focaccia bread with pesto and veggies, like in this Grilled Vegetable Italian Panini Recipe.
I’ve also made steak paninis with leftover Rosemary Coffee Tri Tip and blue cheese crumbles, now that was a delicious sandwich!
Do you eat focaccia hot or cold?
Focaccia bread can be served hot or at room temperature. When serving with olive oil for dipping, I like to warm the bread first. For sandwiches, the bread can be room temperature or warmed up if you’re making a panini.
Try dipping this focaccia bread in these yummy soup recipes!
- Pasta Fagioli Soup
- Chai Spiced Butternut Squash Soup
- Greek Turkey Soup
- Roasted Tomato Soup
- Sweet Potato Soup
- Slow Cooker French Onion Meatball Soup
Rosemary Focaccia Bread
- ¼ oz active dry yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 3 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped - divided
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Combine the yeast, sugar and water in a large bowl. Wait 10 minutes until the top of the mixture is covered in bubbles.
- Add the flour, salt, black pepper, Italian seasoning, 2 tbsp chopped rosemary and butter.
- Form the mixture into a ball and place on a floured surface. Knead for 10 minutes.
- Spread 1 tbsp olive oil on the inside of a bowl and place the kneaded dough in the bowl.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a clean kitchen towel.
- Allow the dough to rise for an hour and a half or until doubled in size.
- Split the dough in half and form into two oval shapes. Place on a baking stone or parchment lined baking sheet.
- Use your finger to press indentations into the bread.
- Bake at 400ºF for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and brush with the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Top with the remaining 1 tbsp chopped rosemary and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.