Lo mein noodles and fresh veggies are tossed with a homemade General Tso sauce in this easy Vegetarian General Tso Stir Fry recipe, made in just 25 minutes!
I’m a huge fan of General Tso sauce, it’s slightly sweet, spicy and so flavorful! I first introduced my recipe for General Tso sauce in this Gluten Free General Tso’s Chicken recipe, which has been a huge hit on the blog!
What is General Tso’s?
Traditionally it’s a battered and fried chicken dish, tossed with general tso’s sauce, which is made of soy sauce, rice vinegar, chilies, garlic and ginger.
Is General Tso Sauce Spicy?
Because of the chilis in the sauce, General Tso sauce tends to be on the spicier side, but can be easily made less spicy by adding less chilis to the sauce.
Is General Tso Sauce Vegan?
General Tso Sauce can easily be made vegan by substituting the honey in the recipe with agave nectar or maple syrup.
General Tso Stir Fry Recipe
In this recipe for General Tso Stir Fry, I’ve combined the General Tso sauce we all know and love with some of my favorite veggies and lo mein noodles. This is a twist on General Tso’s chicken you’re not going to want to miss! It’s also perfect for those who love the flavor of General Tso sauce but are looking for a vegetarian recipe.
Chinese Pantry Items Used To Make This General Tso Stir Fry:
General Tso’s Veggie Noodle Stir Fry
General Tso’s Sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp fresh garlic crushed
- 2 tsp fresh ginger grated
- ½ tsp chinese five spice
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 10 oz Lo Mein Noodles or Spaghetti Noodles, if Lo Mein can’t be found
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 cup broccoli
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- ½ cup red bell pepper julienned
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- ¼ cup green onions thinly sliced
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Whisk all of the ingredients for the general tso’s sauce in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add the lo mein and cook according to package directions, drain and set aside.
Add the sesame oil to a large skillet or wok over high heat. Add the broccoli, carrots, red bell pepper and mushrooms, stir fry 3-4 minutes.
Add the sauce and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
Add the cooked noodles and toss together.
- Remove from the heat and top with green onions and sesame seeds for serving.