Gluten Free Chili
This post may contain affiliate links.
Easy homemade chili seasoning is the key to making this delicious Gluten Free Chili recipe in just 29 minutes on the stove! At under 500 calories per serving, this ground beef chili is a healthy, hearty dinner option!
Serve the chili with Gluten Free Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread to complete this scrumptious gluten free meal!
Every time I sit down at the dinner table with a big bowl of chili, I’m immediately reminded of growing up in Oklahoma. We would regularly have a slow cooker of chili for dinner, especially in the fall and winter months. It was something the whole family loved and it was easy to make!
You know those days when you kind of forget about dinner? You’re now in a panic and need an easy recipe that you can get on the table in under 30 minutes. This chili is made for those nights! It’s filled with ingredients that you probably have on hand and it’s so quick and simple to toss together.
This recipe is perfect for those that are gluten free and dairy free, but also great for those who aren’t! There are no special ingredients needed, just my easy homemade Chili Seasoning, that just so happens to be gluten free.
I love making my own seasoning mixes at home because you know exactly what’s going in them. No funky ingredients that you can’t pronounce in my chili seasoning! Just flavorful spices that turn into really delicious bowls of chili!
It’s easy to make a big batch of the chili seasoning to keep on hand throughout the fall and winter months. It will last in the pantry for up to 2 years, so no worries about making too much and it going bad!
I grew up with beans in my chili and am still a “beans in the chili” kinda gal! If you want to leave out the beans, simply replace the chili beans with an extra can of diced tomatoes and a small can of tomato paste to make a no bean chili.
This gluten free chili is delicious reheated, so feel free to double the recipe and take the leftovers to work throughout the week. Or make two dinners out of the chili during the week! Two meals made in under 30 minutes? Count me in!
How to make Gluten Free Chili
- Cook the veggies. Heat olive oil in a large pot, skillet or dutch oven over medium high heat. Add diced red onion and minced garlic. Saute for 5-6 minutes.
- Brown the ground beef. Add ground beef to the skillet and cook through. Once the beef is cooked, drain any grease from the skillet.
- Quick Tip! Ground turkey can be used instead of ground beef, if you’d like.
- Turn it into chili! Add a can of chili beans, diced tomatoes with green chilies and chili seasoning to the skillet. Stir to combine. Reduce the heat on the stove to low, cover the chili and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
What are good toppings for chili?
I love to load up my chili with lots of toppings! Here are some of my favorite toppings for chili.
- Shredded Cheese – a must for me! I love the way it melts over the chili! If I’m feeling extra spicy that day, I’ll go for a spicy cheddar or pepper jack cheese.
- Sliced Jalapenos – fresh or pickled jalapenos are both delicious options on top of chili for a little extra spice.
- Diced Green Onions – add a fresh pop of color and flavor on top of chili with diced green onions!
- Fritos – these salty corn chips are gluten free and add a crunch to your gluten free chili!
- Diced Avocado – I love a little avocado on just about everything, but I really love the cool creaminess it adds to a bowl of chili!
- Hot Sauce – for even more flavor and spice, drizzle hot sauce on top of your bowl of chili!
- Sour Cream – another great way to cool down a spicy chili!
Are canned chili beans gluten free?
All Bush’s canned beans are gluten free. In this recipe, I used Bush’s Chili Beans that contain kidney beans in a mild chili sauce.
Wondering what to serve with your Gluten Free Chili? Try these easy side dishes, perfect for serving with a big bowl of chili!
- Gluten Free Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread – in my house, chili is ALWAYS served with cornbread. And the best gluten free chili, deserves the best gluten free cornbread!
- Creamy Avocado Salsa – a dollop of creamy avocado salsa on top of chili? Yes, please!
- Guacamole Stuffed Peppers – this easy side dish is perfect for serving with chili. Save a little extra guac and pop it right on top of the chili!
Gluten Free Chili
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 15 oz can chili beans, do not drain the can
- 10 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies, do not drain the can
- 2 tbsp chili seasoning
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp green onions, diced
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet or dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add the red onion and garlic.
- Saute 5-6 minutes, then add the ground beef and cook through.
- Once the beef is cooked through, drain any grease.
- Add the chili beans, diced tomatoes with green chilies and chili seasoning to the skillet, stir to combine.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer 10-15 minutes.
- Top with your choice of cheddar cheese, sliced jalapenos, green onions or all three!
- Nutritional information provided does not include the optional toppings.
- To make this chili without beans, add one additional 10 oz can of diced tomatoes with green chilies + one 6 oz can of tomato paste, in place of the can of chili beans.
- Ground turkey can be used in place of the ground beef in this recipe.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.