This easy one pot Baked Potato Gnocchi recipe is made in only 20 minutes with a creamy, cheesy sour cream sauce, crispy bacon & fresh green onions! For a quick & simple meal that the entire family will love, try this gnocchi recipe. It tastes just like a loaded baked potato with an extra creamy sauce!
Well hello there you big bowl of delicious comfort food!
When it comes to warm, comforting food, there’s nothing quite like a bowl of pasta covered in a creamy sauce. It’s feel-good food! And when that creamy sauce and pasta tastes just like a loaded baked potato, you’re basically combining two of the best comfort foods into one!
When making a loaded baked potato you need sour cream, cheddar cheese, bacon and green onions. I’ve combined all of these ingredients in this easy gnocchi dish! Since gnocchi is a pasta made with potatoes, this recipe just makes sense!
How to make Baked Potato Gnocchi
- Cook the bacon. Add chopped bacon to a large skillet on the stove over medium high heat. Cook 8-10 minutes, or until the bacon is crisp. Use a slotted spoon to remove the bacon from the skillet and place on a paper towel lined plate to drain off the grease. Turn the stove off, remove the skillet and pour the bacon grease into an steel can. Rinse the skillet out to remove any more bacon grease.
- Cook the gnocchi. Return the clean skillet to the stove over medium high heat. Add chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Once the broth is simmering, add potato gnocchi and stir to separate any pieces of gnocchi that are stuck together. Cover the skillet, reduce the heat on the stove to medium and cook for 5 minutes, or until the gnocchi are tender.
- Quick Tip! In this recipe I use packaged gnocchi to make it quick and easy. If you have some extra time and want to make homemade gnocchi, check out Pinch of Yum’s gnocchi recipe.
- Make the sauce. Uncover the skillet and add sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese and black pepper. Stir until the cheese is melted into the sour cream and makes a sauce.
- Finish the dish. Add the previously cooked chopped bacon into the dish and stir to combine. Remove from the heat and top with fresh chopped green onions.
What to serve with Baked Potato Gnocchi
While the gnocchi is simmering in the broth, toss together a quick salad to balance out the richness of the gnocchi dish. Have a little more time? Try one of these veggie dishes on the side!
- Roasted Garlic Parmesan Broccolini
- Garlic Lemon Asparagus
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Apples
- Bacon & Blue Cheese Green Beans
How to make Gluten Free Baked Potato Gnocchi
It’s easy to make this recipe gluten free. Simply substitute in packaged gluten free gnocchi or cauliflower gnocchi. The remaining ingredients in this recipe are gluten free. Be sure to always double check the label on chicken broth to confirm it’s gluten free.
Is gnocchi pasta or potato?
Traditional pasta is made from a combination of wheat flour, water and eggs. Whereas gnocchi is made from a combination of potato, wheat flour and eggs. While gnocchi is considered a type of pasta, it can also be referred to as a dumpling.
You can also find gnocchi made from sweet potatoes or butternut squash instead of traditional potatoes. And various additions are often made to gnocchi, such as spinach, herbs or ricotta cheese.
Packaged gnocchi can be found on the dry pasta aisle at the grocery store. While I do love making my own gnocchi from scratch, it’s nice to have the packaged variety on hand for quick and easy meals!
How do you reheat cooked gnocchi?
This recipe will stay good in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. To reheat the dish, place it in the microwave, covered on high, for 2 minutes. Or place it back in a skillet on the stove over medium heat for 5-6 minutes. The dish is ready to go when the sauce is creamy and gnocchi is heated through.
Looking for more Gnocchi dishes? Try these 5 easy recipes using gnocchi!
- Sheet Pan Gnocchi with Butternut Squash & Crispy Kale
- Crispy Pesto Gnocchi with Goat Cheese & Cherry Tomatoes from Bowl of Delicious
- Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Gnocchi Bake from Slow Cooker Gourmet
- Creamy Spinach Gnocchi Soup from Salt & Lavender
- Gnocchi with Pomodoro Sauce from Foodie Crush
One Pot Baked Potato Gnocchi
This easy one pot Baked Potato Gnocchi recipe is made in only 20 minutes with a creamy, cheesy sour cream sauce, crispy bacon & fresh green onions!
- 4 slices bacon diced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 16 oz potato gnocchi packaged - found near dry pasta at the grocery store
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 tbsp green onions diced
Add the diced bacon to a large skillet on the stove over medium-high heat. Cook for 8-10 minutes, or until crisp.
- Remove from the pan and place on a paper towel to drain off the grease.
Pour all grease out of the skillet and rinse clean.
Place the skillet back on the stove over medium high heat and add the chicken broth.
- Bring the broth to a simmer, then add the gnocchi, stir, cover, reduce heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes, or until the gnocchi is tender.
Uncover, add the black pepper, sour cream and cheese.
Stir until the cheese is melted in, then add the chopped bacon, stir to combine, remove from the heat and top with the fresh diced green onions.
- This recipe will stay good in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- To reheat the dish, place it in the microwave, covered on high, for 2 minutes. Or place it back in a skillet on the stove over medium heat for 5-6 minutes. The dish is ready to go when the sauce is creamy and gnocchi is heated through.
- To make this recipe gluten free, use gluten free gnocchi, easily found packaged at most major grocery stores. Cauliflower Gnocchi is also a great gluten free substitute in this recipe. Always make sure the chicken broth used is also gluten free.