The Best Italian Meatloaf
This post may contain affiliate links.
Italian sausage and ground beef are combined with Italian herbs, parmesan & ricotta cheese in the best Italian meatloaf ever! This recipe is made in under an hour for an easy meal!
I used to think that meatloaf was boring, that is until I started putting my own spins on the classic dish! I mean, who can deny a Buffalo Cheesy Meatloaf? It’s meat, cheese and buffalo sauce, and it’s so delicious!
And there’s 100% chance you’ll fall in love with the Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf. It’s meat wrapped in meat, what’s not to love?
With so many delicious meatloaf recipes to choose from, it’s hard to pick a favorite. Though this Italian Meatloaf definitely ranks up at the top!
Since originally making this recipe 6 years ago, I’ve tweaked it and updated it to create THE BEST Italian Meatloaf ever. Seriously, ask my friends! I make this all the time when I want to impress my guests. As described by one friend, “It’s like the most giant, delicious meatball ever!“
The key to any great recipe for meatloaf, or meatballs, is a combination of meats. In this recipe I used Italian pork sausage and ground beef. The Italian sausage can be mild or spicy, your choice!
I then add ricotta cheese to the meatloaf to give it an extra creamy texture. I guarantee, this will be the best meatloaf you’ll ever eat and you’ll want to make it again and again!
Table of contents
How to make it
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet on the stove over medium high heat. Saute onion, bell pepper and garlic in the olive oil. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add ground beef, Italian sausage and Italian seasoning. Add ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Combine all of the ingredients, then press the meat mixture into a 9-inch by 5-inch loaf pan. Place the meatloaf in the oven preheated to 375°F for 25 minutes.
- Remove the meatloaf from the oven and top with marinara sauce. Place back in the oven to bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before removing from loaf pan and serving.
What to serve with it
I’ve served this before with the meatloaf and it’s seriously the most delicious meat and potatoes meal ever!
How to make it gluten free
Simply substitute gluten free bread crumbs for traditional breadcrumbs to make this meatloaf recipe gluten free.
For an entirely gluten free meal, serve the meatloaf with gluten free spaghetti. Zucchini noodles, spaghetti squash or mashed potatoes are also great gluten free sides for this dish!
How to make it without a loaf pan
Don’t have a loaf pan? No worries! Just free form the meatloaf into a loaf shape, then place it on a foil lined rimmed baking sheet.
More Italian recipes to try
For more delicious Italian recipes, check out these blog favorites!
- Kurt’s Famous Pan Pizza
- Gluten Free Chicken Parmesan
- One Pot Italian Sausage Shells and Cheese
- Bruschetta Grilled Chicken Zoodle Bowls
- Mozzarella Stuffed Meatball Wellington
- Bolognese Meat Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet on the stove over medium high heat.
- Add the onion and bell pepper, saute 4 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for an additional minute.
- Add the cooked onion, bell pepper and garlic to a large bowl with the ground beef, Italian sausage, Italian seasoning, ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs, combine well.
- Press the mixture into a 9-inch by 5-inch loaf pan.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove the meatloaf from the oven and spread the marinara sauce over the meatloaf.
- Return to the oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.