Superfood Green Smoothie
This post may contain affiliate links.
The BEST green smoothie recipe is creamy, delicious and packed with superfoods! It’s healthy, dairy-free and includes flaxseed, spinach, avocado & bananas. It’s so easy to make, you can whip one up every morning for breakfast, just like I do!
I’m not exaggerating at all when I say that I drink this smoothie every morning! When it comes to the rest of my weekly menu, it’s all over the place, but I love starting every day, after the gym, with this lean, green smoothie. It’s loaded with vitamins, nutrients and protein, making it the perfect post-workout smoothie.
It’s also creamy and delicious, making it the perfect drink for anytime you’re craving a creamy smoothie! This superfood smoothie is made with simple ingredients, most of which you probably already have in your pantry or refrigerator.
This plant based smoothie provides a significant amount of fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, potassium and calcium, making it a great addition to a healthy diet!
What to put in a Green Smoothie
- Protein Powder – I use this Vega Coconut Almond Vegan Protein Powder which pairs perfectly with the flavors in this smoothie. I only use 1 tablespoon, but if you’re looking to up your protein intake, you can definitely use an entire scoop, which is approximately 2 ½ tablespoons and provides 20 grams of protein.
- Flaxseed – adding ground flaxseed to smoothies gives them a great boost of fiber and a little extra protein without adding barely any calories. Each tablespoon of flaxseed contains only 35 calories.
- Honey – if you’re vegan and do not eat honey, you can substitute agave nectar, coconut nectar or maple syrup.
- Ground Cinnamon – this spice has wonderful flavor and antioxidant properties, making it a great addition to this green smoothie!
- Almond Milk – unsweetened, plain almond milk has 50% more calcium than milk and is only 35 calories per 1 cup serving, making it my go-to milk for smoothies!
- Avocado – avocados are one of the most nutrient-dense foods, earning them the title of “superfood”. They’re rich in fiber, folate, potassium, vitamin E and magnesium. BONUS! They add a wonderful creaminess to this green smoothie!
- Bananas – this powerful yellow fruit adds creaminess to smoothies, as well as a huge boost of potassium, fiber and antioxidants. According to Harvard, “bananas carry the title of the first “superfood” endorsed by the American Medical Association in the early 20th century.” Make sure to use a ripe banana in this smoothie to get that delicious creaminess. Bananas are ripe when they’re no longer green and begin to develop brown spots on the outside.
- Spinach – leafy greens, such as spinach, are typically considered the #1 superfood because of their abundance of vitamin A, vitamin C, and calcium.
How to make a Green Smoothie
Add avocado, banana, spinach and ice cubes to a blender. Pour in the almond milk, then add protein powder, ground flaxseed, honey and ground cinnamon. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Quick Tip! I use a NutriBullet to make all of my smoothies. The clean-up is easy and I can drink the smoothie right out of the blender cup, saving on the amount of dishes I have to clean. Yay!
How many calories are in a Green Smoothie?
This superfood green smoothie contains 404 calories for one 16 oz smoothie. Almost half of the calories in the smoothie come from the avocado. If you’re looking to cut down on the calories, use only ¼ avocado instead of a ½ avocado. This will reduce the calories in the smoothie to 322.
Can a green smoothie replace a meal?
Yes! I replace breakfast most mornings with this smoothie. It has enough calories, carbs and protein, to replace almost any other typical breakfast and more potassium, fiber and vitamins than most other breakfast meals.
Can you freeze green smoothies?
I recommend freezing the fresh fruits, vegetables and liquids together in bags, then blending them up fresh with the pantry ingredients, including the protein powder, flaxseed, cinnamon and honey.
To do this, add ½ avocado, removed from the skin and pitted, to a freezer-safe zipper bag with one peeled banana, 1 cup of spinach and 1 cup almond milk. Zip tightly closed, label the bag “green smoothie” and the date. Make as many of these as you’d like!
When ready to prepare the smoothie, dump the ingredients from one frozen bag into a blender, then add the protein powder, flaxseed, cinnamon and honey. No need to add ice, since most of the ingredients are already frozen. Blend until smooth and creamy.
Making these freezer smoothie packs ahead of time has two main benefits.
- Saving Money! You can buy fresh ingredients in bulk and make sure they don’t go bad. Freezing fresh ingredients like avocados, bananas and spinach will help extend their life for months.
- Saving Time! It saves you time in the morning when making your smoothies. Because even an extra 5 minutes of sleep in the morning is so valuable!
How long will smoothie freezer packs stay good?
These green smoothie freezer packs will stay good in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Looking for more delicious smoothie recipes? Try these 6 favorites!
- Banana Date Protein Shake – this is one of my favorite smoothies to drink when I have a sweet tooth, but want something healthy. It features dates, which are known as “natures candy”, peanut butter, bananas, almond milk and coconut milk.
- Acai Blackberry Smoothie – Acai is a powerful superfood that makes a delicious purple smoothie when combined with blackberries, bananas and almond milk!
- Superfood Pumpkin Smoothie – while this smoothie is a fall favorite, it’s delicious, nutritious and easy to make year-round with canned pumpkin.
- Strawberry Almond Protein Smoothie – almond milk and almond butter are combined in this protein-packed strawberry smoothie!
- Metabolism Boosting Breakfast Smoothie – banana, berries, coconut water and greek yogurt are combined in this vitamin-packed smoothie, perfect for boosting your metabolism!
- Almond Milk Smoothie – another one of my go-to weekday breakfast smoothies. This smoothie features both almond milk and almond butter with bananas and cinnamon.
Superfood Green Smoothie
- ½ avocado, peeled & pitted
- 1 banana
- ½ cup spinach
- ½ cup ice cubes
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp vegan protein powder, clink link for the one I recommend
- 1 tbsp flaxseed
- 1 tsp honey
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- Add the avocado, banana, spinach, ice cubes and almond milk to a blender.
- Add the protein powder, flax seed, honey and ground cinnamon.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Vegan: to make this recipe vegan, substitute agave nectar, coconut nectar or maple syrup for the honey.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.