Slow Cooker Cheesy Turkey Taco Soup
This post may contain affiliate links.
This Slow Cooker Turkey Taco Soup recipe only requires 15 minutes of prep time, then cooks in a Crock Pot all day. It’s seriously cheesy, delicious comfort food, that’s also really easy to make and low carb!
The slow cooker is every busy person’s best friend! It is so easy to toss something in the slow cooker in the morning and have dinner ready to go whenever everyone gets home.
One of my favorite recipes growing up was Taco Soup. I would top it with plenty of cheese and eat half of it with a spoon and dip half of it up with tortilla chips! Today I’m putting a twist on this childhood favorite, that I hope will become a new family favorite in your house!
For this easy taco soup recipe, I started with turkey breast tenderloins as a healthy, protein base for the soup. But you could also use chicken breasts. I added taco seasoning, veggies and cream cheese, then let the slow cooker do it’s thing!
Before serving, I shredded the turkey and added cheddar cheese to give it that cheesy deliciousness we all love. The final result was a flavorful turkey taco soup recipe that I can’t wait for you to try at home!
Table of contents
- Turkey Breast Tenderloin – you can also use boneless, skinless chicken breasts instead of the turkey breast.
- Taco Seasoning – click the link for my homemade seasoning recipe!
- Onion – diced red or yellow onions will both work in this recipe.
- Green bell pepper – you can also substitute in red or yellow bell pepper, if you prefer.
- Canned diced tomatoes with green chilies – also known as rotel, these tomatoes add flavor to the broth and texture to the soup.
- Chicken broth
- Cream cheese
- Cheddar cheese
Season the chicken and start loading up the slow cooker. Rub the turkey breast tenderloin (or chicken breasts) with the taco seasoning. Place in a large Crock Pot with the onion and bell pepper.
Add the rest of the ingredients. Pour in the diced tomatoes with green chilies, chicken broth and cream cheese.
Cook the soup. Cover and set to low for 6-8 hours, or high for 3-4 hours.
Shred the turkey. Either remove it from the slow cooker first, or simply pull it apart while still in the slow cooker.
Mix it up. Add the shredded turkey back to the slow cooker, along with the cheddar cheese. Stir to combine.
Let it rest. Allow the cheddar cheese to melt in for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Enjoy! Top with the optional toppings of your choice such as tortilla strips and fresh cilantro, and easy as that, dinner is served!
How to store and reheat
- To store: leftover turkey taco soup should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It is best to enjoy the soup within 5 days.
- To reheat from the refrigerator: leftover soup can be reheated in a saucepan on the stove over medium heat for 10 minutes. It can also be reheated in the microwave in a bowl for 2-3 minutes.
- To freeze: store the soup in freezer-safe container, either a zipper bag, glass, or plastic container. Be sure to leave 1 inch of space for the soup to expand in the freezer. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- To reheat from frozen: place the frozen soup in the refrigerator for 24 hours to defrost. Transfer the soup back to a slow cooker, set to low for 2 hours, or reheat the soup in a large pot on the stove for 15-20 minutes, or until heated through.
What to serve with this soup
Cheesy Turkey Taco Soup is best when garnished with tortilla strips, cilantro and avocado. You can also serve with Jalapeño Cheddar Focaccia Bread for dunking.
Pair it with any of these recipes for a classic soup and salad combo.
- Mexican Quinoa Salad
- Grilled Romaine Chopped Salad with Honey Lime Dressing
- Quinoa Corn Salad with Avocado Dressing
- Mexican Sweet Potato Salad
More easy slow cooker meals
Keep life stress-free and use your slow cooker to create more delicious meals with these popular recipes!
- Easy Slow Cooker Vegan Chili
- Crock Pot Pork Chops with French Onion Gravy
- Slow Cooker Beef Ragu
- Healthy Greek Turkey Soup
- Slow Cooker Black Pepper Beef and Broccoli
- Gluten Free Pasta Fagioli Soup
- Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken Sliders
Slow Cooker Cheesy Turkey Taco Soup
- 1 cup tortilla strips
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 avocado, diced
- Rub the turkey breast tenderloin (or chicken breasts) with the taco seasoning.
- Place in a large slow cooker with the onion and bell pepper.
- Add the diced tomatoes with green chilies, chicken broth and cream cheese to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high 3-4 hours.
- Shred the turkey, either by removing it from the slow cooker first, or simply shredding it in the slow cooker.
- Add the shredded turkey back to the slow cooker with the cheddar cheese.
- Stir to combine.
- Allow the cheddar cheese to melt in for 5-10 minutes.
- Top with the optional toppings of your choice such as tortilla strips and fresh cilantro.
- Nutrition information provided does not include optional toppings.
- Feel free to use boneless, skinless chicken breasts instead of the turkey breast tenderloin, if you prefer!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.