Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats
This post may contain affiliate links.
Zucchini boats are stuffed with ground chicken breast and buffalo sauce in this deliciously healthy, low carb and gluten free recipe! Each zucchini boat contains only 4 net carbs and 145 calories and is made in less than 29 minutes, perfect for a quick and easy dinner!
I love stuffed veggie recipes, they’re fun, colorful and healthy! Some of my favorite veggies to stuff are spaghetti squash, bell peppers and sweet potatoes.
Now let’s talk about stuffing zucchini! You can stuff zucchini with a variety of ingredients, from pizza toppings, to taco seasoned meat, to veggies and beans for a vegetarian meal. Of course, I stuffed them with my favorite ingredient, buffalo chicken!
They’re easy to make in under 30 minutes, perfect for an simple, healthy weeknight meal!
- Prepare the zucchini. Cut off the ends of each zucchini, then slice them in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to hollow out each half, leaving about ¼ inch at the bottom and on the sides.
- Cook the chicken. Drizzle olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add diced onion, garlic and ground chicken, cook for 4-5 minutes. Mix in buffalo sauce and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Stuff the zucchini. Spoon the mixture into the hollowed out zucchini.
You can either make these zucchini boats in the oven or on the grill.
To make them in the oven:
- Arrange the zucchini boats. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the zucchini on the sheet without touching each other.
- Bake. Cook in the oven at 400°F for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven, top with shredded pepper jack cheese and place back in the oven for 7 minutes.
- Quick tip! Baking at this temperature for this time will keep the texture of the zucchini strong enough to hold the ingredients inside for eating. Overcooking the zucchini will make it too soft and it will become difficult to eat the zucchini boats.
To make them on the grill:
- Prepare the grill. Heat your grill to medium heat and oil the grill grates.
- Grill. Place the stuffed zucchini on the grill for 5 minutes. Lift the lid on the grill, sprinkle with the cheese and continue grilling for another 5-7 minutes.
Frequently asked questions
- What are zucchini boats? Zucchini boats are zucchinis that have been sliced in half lengthwise and hollowed out in the middle. This essentially creates a “boat” for delicious ingredients to fill the zucchini.
- Are they healthy? It depends on what you fill them with, but yes! Zucchini is a nutrient-dense vegetable, which means you’re getting a lot of nutrients out of the squash in exchange for very few calories. Zucchinis contain no fat and are high in fiber. They’re a significant source of vitamins B6, riboflavin, folate, C, and K, and minerals, like potassium and manganese. Zucchini also contains antioxidant and anti-inflammatory phytonutrients.
- Are they keto friendly? Once again, it depends what you fill them with, but these Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats are keto friendly! Zucchinis are a great vegetable to eat while on the keto diet as they only contain 3 grams of net carbs per cup. Two of these zucchini boats, which is considered one serving, is only 9 carbs.
- How many calories are in this recipe? Each of these buffalo chicken zucchini boats contain only 145 calories, so feel free to eat 2 or 3! In the calories per serving noted in the recipe card below, I included 2 zucchini boats per serving, which equals 289 calories per serving.
- Are they Whole 30 compliant? You can easily make these Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats Whole 30 compliant by using Tabasco Buffalo Sauce and omitting the cheese.
More zucchini recipes
Now who’s totally jazzed on zucchinis? I know I am! They’re such a versatile, healthy and great low carb squash for stuffing, spiralizing and tossing in salads!
After you make this Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Zucchini, be sure to add these other zucchini recipe favorites to your menu!
- Bruschetta Grilled Chicken Zoodle Bowls
- Greek Quinoa Salad with Diced Zucchini – Bonus! You can use the insides of the zucchini that you scooped out from the zucchini boats in this salad recipe!
- Pesto Baked Salmon with Zoodles
- Zucchini Quinoa Burgers
- Balsamic Salmon Zoodle Bowls
- Low Carb Zucchini Enchiladas
- Buffalo Zucchini Chips
- Greek Zucchini Pie
Don’t forget to pin these Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats for later and when you make them, be sure to share a pic on Instagram and tag me @WhitneyBond or use the hashtag #WBRecipes!
Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut off the ends of each zucchini, then slice in half lengthwise.
- Use a spoon to hollow out the zucchini, leaving app ¼ inch at the bottom and on the sides.
- Place the hollowed zucchini on a large baking sheet, lined with parchment paper, set aside.
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion, garlic and chicken, cook 4-5 minutes.
- Add the buffalo sauce and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat and spoon into the hollowed zucchini.
- Place in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven, top with the pepper jack cheese and place back in the oven for 7 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with fresh chopped cilantro or green onions, if you’d like.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.