The best Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff is an easy recipe made with a beef chuck roast, creamy mushroom sauce & egg noodles in an electric pressure cooker!
Thank you to the California Beef Council for sponsoring today’s post!
If you don’t have an Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker by now, it’s time to hop on the bandwagon!
We talked all about electric pressure cookers, sous vide’s and air fryers on the latest episode of the Feed Me! podcast: Hot Kitchen Picks for 2019!
Pressure cooking is a great way to make deliciously flavorful food in a very short amount of time. Take a beef chuck roast and turn it into this amazing French Onion Pot Roast or make the best Beef Ragu in just an hour!
Speaking of the best, this is seriously the best beef stroganoff I’ve ever had! Kurt said that anytime I ask what he wants for dinner from now on, he will say this dish!
I used a beef chuck roast for this recipe, making it a cross between a pot roast and beef stroganoff. The beef is so tender and flavorful, the sauce, so creamy and the egg noodles tie the whole thing together. The best part is, everything cooks in the Instant Pot making clean-up a breeze!
How do you make beef stroganoff in a pressure cooker?
Use the “saute” function on the pressure cooker to cook onions, garlic and mushrooms in butter. Rub a beef chuck roast with salt, pepper and paprika. Add to the pressure cooker and sear on both sides for 2-3 minutes.
Turn the pressure cooker over to the pressure cook mode, add beef broth and cook for 60 minutes on high.
When the time is up and pressure has released, remove the beef chuck roast from the pressure cooker and add the egg noodles. Place the lid back on the pressure cooker and set timer for an additional 5 minutes. Meanwhile, use two forks, or meat claws, to shred the beef.
After 5 minutes, remove the lid and place the shredded beef back in the pressure cooker, along with sour cream, half and half and parmesan cheese. Stir together and serve.
Can you cook noodles in an instant pot?
Absolutely! The noodles for this beef stroganoff cook right in the mushroom beef broth in the Instant Pot.
You never want to put noodles in an Instant Pot for more than the recommended time or they will become mushy.
What goes with Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff?
Instead of noodles, this beef stroganoff can also be served over rice.
For a gluten free and low carb option, serve the beef with zucchini noodles, roasted spaghetti squash or a salad.
If omitting the noodles in this recipe, simply skip steps 12-15 in the recipe card below.
Is an Instant Pot the same as a pressure cooker?
Yes, an Instant Pot is an electric pressure cooker.
In addition to being a pressure cooker, it can also be used to saute food, steam food or as a slow cooker or rice maker.
Looking for more delicious Instant Pot recipes? Check out these 5 favorites!
- Instant Pot Beef with Tomato Basil Bruschetta
- Whole30 Instant Pot Thai Beef
- Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
- Instant Pot Pulled Pork Tacos
- Gluten Free Pasta Fagioli Soup
Made it and loved it? Rate the recipe 5 stars below! ↓
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- 2 tbsp butter
- 8 oz baby bella or crimini mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 lb beef chuck roast
- 2 cups beef broth
- 16 oz wide egg noodles
- 1 cup half-and-half
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese grated
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- Turn the saute function on the Instant Pot on to “normal”, add the butter.
- Once the butter is melted, add the mushrooms, onion and garlic, saute 4-5 minutes.
Combine the salt, black pepper and paprika in a small bowl, then rub on the beef chuck roast.
Push the mushrooms and onion to the sides of the Instant Pot, then add the beef chuck roast to the middle.
Sear the beef for 2-3 minutes per side.
- Press the Keep Warm/Cancel button on the pressure cooker.
- Add the beef broth.
- Place the lid on the pressure cooker and make sure the steam release is set to “sealing”.
- Press the “manual” button and set the pressure cooker to high pressure, then use the +/- buttons to set the pressure cooker to 60 minutes.
- When the cooking time is up, turn off the pressure cooker and wait 15-20 minutes, then release any remaining pressure before unlocking the lid.
- Remove the beef from the Instant Pot and place on a cutting board.
- Add the egg noodles to the Instant Pot with the beef broth, onions and mushrooms, secure the lid back on the Instant Pot and make sure the steam release is set to “sealing”.
- Press the “keep warm/cancel” button, then the “manual” button and set the pressure cooker to high pressure, then use the +/- buttons to set the pressure cooker to 5 minutes.
While the noodles are cooking in the pressure cooker, use two forks to shred the beef.
- When the cooking time is up, turn off the pressure cooker and wait 5 minutes, then release any remaining pressure before unlocking the lid.
- Add the shredded roast beef back to the Instant Pot, with the sour cream, half and half and parmesan cheese.
- Stir everything together then serve topped with fresh parsley.